Chinese rubber hitting sound - boosted vs non-boosted

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
I've had a try of my friend's racket which has Hurricane 3 on both sides. I usually use Rasanter R47 on my own racket. When hitting with my racket there's a very loud clicking sound. It's quite satisfying actually, and it helps me to know whether I've made correct contact with the ball when looping. When hitting with my friend's H3 racket, I find that there is no such clicking sound. In fact, there's barely any sound at all and I have a lot of trouble knowing whether or not I have looped the ball properly.

I know for a fact that my friend's H3 is not boosted. I know this because I glued the rubbers on for him and bought his rubber for him. However, when watching videos of players like Ma Long and Fan Zhendong training there is quite a loud cracking (maybe not clicking) sound when they hit the ball. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYMY-1KQrbo

Is this because they are hitting the ball so much harder than I am? Or is it because (as many people have suggested in the past) that they are boosting their hard Chinese rubber? Is it possible to get that loud cracking sound without boosting?

I'd like to know as this would be helpful to know when I'm playing against an opponent who uses H3 (or similar) who might be able to produce such a loud cracking sound when looping and I could then know whether or not his rubber is boosted (not that I can probably do anything about it, anyway).

I'm not sure if you are using the term 'hitting' in the general sense or as a description of the contact.

But I find H3s don't have that sharp click on fairly flat contact (unless you are hitting really really hard I guess).

I suspect the clicking sounds on H3s are not from percussion of the ball against the rubber/sponge, but either the bit of slip from the ball sliding the tiniest bit against the very tacky surface, or from the very hard topsheet snapping back into place after deformation. I Have unboosted H3 on my forehand and and factory boosted on my backhand, there doens't seem to be much difference on the sound and I seem to get much more of an audible click on very close blade angle shots than on relatively flat hitting shots.

But that's just my experience, maybe you get a different kind of click with a faster blade or with actual boosting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Its a combination of ball, rubber, and blade deformation that causes the sound.

Taking the ball out of the equation, softer rubbers and blades will cause louder pop on low-moderate impact. While harder rubbers and blades will cause more pop on high impact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
I'm not sure if you are using the term 'hitting' in the general sense or as a description of the contact.

But I find H3s don't have that sharp click on fairly flat contact (unless you are hitting really really hard I guess).

I suspect the clicking sounds on H3s are not from percussion of the ball against the rubber/sponge, but either the bit of slip from the ball sliding the tiniest bit against the very tacky surface, or from the very hard topsheet snapping back into place after deformation. I Have unboosted H3 on my forehand and and factory boosted on my backhand, there doens't seem to be much difference on the sound and I seem to get much more of an audible click on very close blade angle shots than on relatively flat hitting shots.

But that's just my experience, maybe you get a different kind of click with a faster blade or with actual boosting.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I meant looping when I said hitting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Thanks for your input. Yes, I meant looping when I said hitting.

rubber clicks when sponge is fully compressed:

softer euro -> easy to compress -> always click
hard chinese -> hard to compress -> no click

boost => easier to compress, more click

a 37 h3 will click even unboosted
a 42 h3 will not click even boosted (unless pro does counter loops)

This user has no status.
i really wonder what a 42 degree h3 would be like and how many layers it will need to boost it to make it work

That's a good question. I wonder how many CNT players use 42 degrees H3.
They always boost the rubber. It probably requires no more booster than the 41 or 40 degrees H3.

Would still depend on what type of booster is used. If the stronger ones probably 4 layers

QUOTE=729B2;284755]i really wonder what a 42 degree h3 would be like and how many layers it will need to boost it to make it work[/QUOTE]