• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 21 to 34 of 34
    1. Top | #21
      brokenball is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Posts
      320
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 165 Times in 105 Posts
      I am also 66 and had a 40+ year gap where I didn't play TT.
      I have played with just about everything.
      If you play with long pips you need to get a long pips paddle and that depends on whether you are a chopper or blocker.
      You can try chopping but I think it is a young person's game. You must be fast and agile to run down balls.
      If you play with LPs you should try push blocking.

      Even if you decide to push block you will still need to be able to step around balls to loop with your FH or be able to twiddle.
      There is no easy answers or short cuts and it takes time to learn how to push block. It also takes a different mentality or approach to the game. People think push blocking is easy, it isn't but at lower levels you can win some easy games.

      The paddle you have now is more than good enough for starters. Have fun. I play 4 times a week for 1.5 hour each session.

    2. The Following User Likes brokenball's Post:

      langel (08-13-2019)

    3. Top | #22
      NewTimes is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States
      NewTimes's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Sanwei Fextra 7
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1

      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Daytona Beach
      Posts
      42
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by brokenball View Post
      I am also 66 and had a 40+ year gap where I didn't play TT.
      I have played with just about everything.
      If you play with long pips you need to get a long pips paddle and that depends on whether you are a chopper or blocker.
      You can try chopping but I think it is a young person's game. You must be fast and agile to run down balls.
      If you play with LPs you should try push blocking.

      Even if you decide to push block you will still need to be able to step around balls to loop with your FH or be able to twiddle.
      There is no easy answers or short cuts and it takes time to learn how to push block. It also takes a different mentality or approach to the game. People think push blocking is easy, it isn't but at lower levels you can win some easy games.

      The paddle you have now is more than good enough for starters. Have fun. I play 4 times a week for 1.5 hour each session.
      Your thoughts and comments are encouraging. Glad to hear you believe my setup is acceptable. I'll have a better idea which way to go with future rackets and rubbers after extended play.

      The best update is the ease of stress on the knees. No more icing and Advil. And after my most intense play Sat I felt like I could played today. I'm trying to get the body the TT skill set to both improve and come around. Playing tomorrow.

      Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

    4. Top | #23
      jfolsen is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      12
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NewTimes View Post
      Your thoughts and comments are encouraging. Glad to hear you believe my setup is acceptable. I'll have a better idea which way to go with future rackets and rubbers after extended play.

      The best update is the ease of stress on the knees. No more icing and Advil. And after my most intense play Sat I felt like I could played today. I'm trying to get the body the TT skill set to both improve and come around. Playing tomorrow.

      Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
      Ok, someone above said that "The majority of the over 60 players and over 60 best players have long pips on one side. Only a few play with inverted on both sides." Not factual. I just played in the National Senior Games, the majority of players had inverted on both sides. In the 60-64 mixed doubles only one of the final eight used long pips, and they didn't win. Top three teams were all inverted. Don't be railroaded into someone else's idea of how you should play.

    5. The Following 2 Users Like jfolsen's Post:

      Der_Echte (08-13-2019),langel (08-13-2019)

    6. Top | #24
      NewTimes is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States
      NewTimes's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Sanwei Fextra 7
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1

      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Daytona Beach
      Posts
      42
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by jfolsen View Post
      Ok, someone above said that "The majority of the over 60 players and over 60 best players have long pips on one side. Only a few play with inverted on both sides." Not factual. I just played in the National Senior Games, the majority of players had inverted on both sides. In the 60-64 mixed doubles only one of the final eight used long pips, and they didn't win. Top three teams were all inverted. Don't be railroaded into someone else's idea of how you should play.
      Right or wrong, I view pips out as a defensive measure to attempt to masks a loss of offensive skill. I know there are exceptions. It's my perception. It may be my choice in the future, but not now. Even small, improvements will motivate me to still believe I can be a predominantly offensive player.

      Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

    7. Top | #25
      Der_Echte is offline
      says Grand Consultant to the Office
      of the Goon Squad
       
      Master TTD Member Country: South Korea
      Der_Echte's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Nexy Batos ALC
      Forehand Rubber T05 FX
      Backhand Rubber Bluefire M3

      Join Date
      Sep 2011
      Location
      Sacramento, USA
      Posts
      8,714
      Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      Liked 9,087 Times in 4,706 Posts
      An aggressive LP punch hitting style vs underspin and dead, a retriever style with pips, an at the table disruptive then FH blast attack kind of games are easily possible at old age and are not the "cover the weakness" thing going on...

      Many go down one of these routes... not a lot of them make it over 2000+... but what the heck, I never made it over west coast 2000 either. The ones who are over 50 and play a 2100+ game with LPs you can almost count on one hand at a large tourney... while you need to consult the program guide to count the number at that level or higher with double inverted attacking game.
      President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
      http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

      Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
      http://www.nexyusa.com

      View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
      http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

    8. The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

      yoass (08-13-2019)

    9. Top | #26
      langel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Bulgaria

      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Vega Tour
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Asia 2.0, Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Asia 2.0, Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0

      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Posts
      1,705
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 806 Times in 560 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by jfolsen View Post
      Ok, someone above said that "The majority of the over 60 players and over 60 best players have long pips on one side. Only a few play with inverted on both sides." Not factual. I just played in the National Senior Games, the majority of players had inverted on both sides. In the 60-64 mixed doubles only one of the final eight used long pips, and they didn't win. Top three teams were all inverted. Don't be railroaded into someone else's idea of how you should play.
      Agree. The same here.
      We have many 50, 60 and 70+ veterans who still get 1st, 2nd or 3rd place on national tournaments and opens, and All of them use inverted rubbers both sides. From all players in the club we have just 1 pips player and 1 hardbat veteran.

      @OP
      Stick to your current equipment and chamge it only if you find some great problems with it.

    10. Top | #27
      yoass is offline
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      yoass's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber DHS Gold Arc 8/50
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Tiel, The Netherlands
      Posts
      1,917
      Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 1,897 Times in 1,005 Posts
      At my club, none of the 50+ crowd use LP. One uses anti. Two younger players looking to eke out an advantage by leveraging the unfamiliar use LP, mainly to chopblock and to swipe backspin balls aggressively.

      When playing veteran's tournaments, LP is played by about 1 in 10 or 15, or so (and anti's played by 1 in 30 or so; SP even less). No extinct species by any means, but not the majority by far.

      This can vary wildly from club to club, though. A smaller club nearby probably has half of its players using LP.

    11. Top | #28
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Feel AX; Stiga Nostalgia All+
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Sigma II Pro; Stiga Mantra H

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      3,005
      Reviews
      Read 71 Reviews
      Liked 1,451 Times in 918 Posts
      Question is, are you still physically capable of an all out offensive game?

    12. Top | #29
      yoass is offline
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      yoass's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber DHS Gold Arc 8/50
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Tiel, The Netherlands
      Posts
      1,917
      Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 1,897 Times in 1,005 Posts
      Ouch, Yogi.

    13. The Following User Likes yoass's Post:

      lVegita (08-14-2019)

    14. Top | #30
      NewTimes is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States
      NewTimes's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Sanwei Fextra 7
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1

      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Daytona Beach
      Posts
      42
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear View Post
      Question is, are you still physically capable of an all out offensive game?
      This seemed to beg the question, "as we age and reflexes and hand/eye diminishes, when does one change style, and equipment, to maintain their skill level? Is it as simple when they begin to lose to previously beaten players? A personal recognition the skill is lessening? Or a blend of the two? I always want to look forward (offensive) when able with skill set improving, and then change (defensive) with lessening skills. Maybe it's an intent as much as the physical change.

      Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

    15. Top | #31
      yoass is offline
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      yoass's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber DHS Gold Arc 8/50
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Tiel, The Netherlands
      Posts
      1,917
      Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 1,897 Times in 1,005 Posts
      Reflexes and hand/eye coördination may go. But before that, often the wear and tear will reveal its presence in growing uncomfortability/pain in the joints (feet, ankles, knees, hips, back, shoulders, neck), eventually resulting in limited movement. As this happens, this strains agility, and the accommodations made to cope put further strain and tax stamina further. Overall fitness level and body mass also matters, as many people gain weight and excercise less as the years pass.

      This all happens on a scale, and I don't think you change style in large, sweeping decisions. You adapt by making smaller adjustments. Anecdotal me still plays offensively when I start feeling impaired in my movements by (mainly) my knees acting up, but shifting more towards an over the table countering game.

      For what it's worth, I don't actually believe defensive play is less demanding. If for example you want to see extremely agile footwork, don't forget to have a look at the modern day defenders.
      Last edited by yoass; 08-14-2019 at 12:25 PM.

    16. Top | #32
      NewTimes is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States
      NewTimes's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Sanwei Fextra 7
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1

      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Daytona Beach
      Posts
      42
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
      Most all of your points seem applicable to me. Regarding aches and pains, fortunately mine have lessened. After many years away from TT, the demand on a mostly dormant body was very uncomfortable. My wife is a retired RN and massage therapist so she worked on my aches, showed me stretches, encouraged the use of ice packs, and the result is I played yesterday for a good 2+ hours with less and diminishing discomfort. I particularly noticed when play demanded wide lateral movement less restriction in the knees (actually soft tissue connecting to the knees) where before the discomfort literally stopped me.

      I may have presented a prior point inferring that defensive play was less demanding. Your point of agile footwork and modern day defenders is valid. It's something I am going to look at with different eyes. In the past, I remember little old people playing that way. Obviously, I need to view this from a new perspective. But I still want to act and play young. At least for as long as I can.

    17. The Following 2 Users Like NewTimes's Post:

      lVegita (08-14-2019),yoass (08-14-2019)

    18. Top | #33
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Feel AX; Stiga Nostalgia All+
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Sigma II Pro; Stiga Mantra H

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      3,005
      Reviews
      Read 71 Reviews
      Liked 1,451 Times in 918 Posts
      I am in no way trying to insult the op but rather set the expectations on advancing age. I just want to let a person maximize his play and at the same time enjoy his playtime. This does not mean changing equipments outright but there are times that when we are at the stage where we cannot do on the rise loops above the table, we do loop the ball once it goes down. Flexibility is an issue to a lot of people with age.

    19. The Following 2 Users Like yogi_bear's Post:

      lVegita (08-14-2019),yoass (08-14-2019)

    20. Top | #34
      NewTimes is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States
      NewTimes's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Sanwei Fextra 7
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.1

      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Daytona Beach
      Posts
      42
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear View Post
      I am in no way trying to insult the op but rather set the expectations on advancing age. I just want to let a person maximize his play and at the same time enjoy his playtime. This does not mean changing equipments outright but there are times that when we are at the stage where we cannot do on the rise loops above the table, we do loop the ball once it goes down. Flexibility is an issue to a lot of people with age.
      I agree a 100%. A clear, concise statement of how players in their 60s+ can approach the game now, and in the future. And flexibility is a huge issue.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP