How to implement strategy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I never really saw the States( I guess that’s where your from ) as a snooker playing country tbh.
There was a saying at the time I played that if you was good at snooker/pool it was the sign of a misspent youth , meaning that you’ve spent far too much time in the company of shady characters and dark dingy clubs and pool halls when you was a youth . I can confirm that I did indeed

I didn't spend too much time around the greasers, as we called them. My goal can was to beat the best player in town who was a well respected umpire. I practiced around other other normal kids who were playing on regular tables except we were having fun trash talking across the room. I used to get a big rush when I was on a potential 20 point run.

All types of competition can help you for tt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I didn't spend too much time around the greasers, as we called them. My goal can was to beat the best player in town who was a well respected umpire. I practiced around other other normal kids who were playing on regular tables except we were having fun trash talking across the room. I used to get a big rush when I was on a potential 20 point run.

All types of competition can help you for tt.

Yeah it’s a great game for sure, just like TT is !. It’s the spin element which I picked up from my early career playing snooker that I find so fascinating now . It’s a lot harder at my age now though to learn and put it into practice on a TT table than it was when I was a 13 year old learning how to screw a ball back or put side on it .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Yeah it’s a great game for sure, just like TT is !. It’s the spin element which I picked up from my early career playing snooker that I find so fascinating now . It’s a lot harder at my age now though to learn and put it into practice on a TT table than it was when I was a 13 year old learning how to screw a ball back or put side on it .

My strategy if I made a 20 point run or a couple of
smaller runs was then to play defense to make it tough for the guy to score without any easy runs, just trying to play even without any stupid mistakes

Using long pips on one side is similar in tt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I actually see some similarities in the approach to TT and to pool. I never played snooker but lots of pool. With my return to TT, as I play more seriously, I apply some of the traits from my pool days. True there are differences in the types of play. I find in TT and in pool, I size up my opponent, recognize their weaknesses as soon as possible, play to my strength and their weakness and try to stay away from their strengths. And as in pool, controlling the ball.

In pool, the game is mostly about controlling the cue ball. Of course making shots is the basic fundamental task, but placing the cue ball in position for the next shot is the true game within the game. When to purposely leave a long shot for the opponent when playing defense, nd on offense, where to place the ball when on a run.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There are at least 3 TTD members I personally know of who would smoke everyone participating in this thread... in billiards... and they are not commenting. That might say something... but I will say a small something.

Still, there may be merits to EXPLORING what ways of thinking and forming strategy/execution in billiards that would carry over to TT with some effectiveness. On the basis of never totally accepting conventional teachings, I agree it is worth an effort.

Yet, I would say it may be best served to ask a wide variety of successful players from several levels about this stuff. The data gathered over the short time would be enough to analyze and "take home" many usable items.

The gist of the post right before this is a philosophy and approach or defensive (or called tactical play in billiards)… the over-riding concept to leave opponent in a low percentage situation, so you can get easier, high percentage chances when it is your turn. This fundamental approach is an old-school pundit tried and true approach worth using the elements of this approach.

Personally, I always try to one-up that by positioning my balls in "easy" places, opponents' balls in "difficult" places, while I place the cue ball in a very low percentage place over the course of a game to give me an easy run opportunity and control the resultant position of cue all the way while the opponent needs to play out of hiz mind to have any opportunity.

Such is one of the possible positive take-aways from examining what contributes to success in billiards

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
There are at least 3 TTD members I personally know of who would smoke everyone participating in this thread... in billiards... and they are not commenting. That might say something... but I will say a small something.

Still, there may be merits to EXPLORING what ways of thinking and forming strategy/execution in billiards that would carry over to TT with some effectiveness. On the basis of never totally accepting conventional teachings, I agree it is worth an effort.

Yet, I would say it may be best served to ask a wide variety of successful players from several levels about this stuff. The data gathered over the short time would be enough to analyze and "take home" many usable items.

The gist of the post right before this is a philosophy and approach or defensive (or called tactical play in billiards)… the over-riding concept to leave opponent in a low percentage situation, so you can get easier, high percentage chances when it is your turn. This fundamental approach is an old-school pundit tried and true approach worth using the elements of this approach.

Personally, I always try to one-up that by positioning my balls in "easy" places, opponents' balls in "difficult" places, while I place the cue ball in a very low percentage place over the course of a game to give me an easy run opportunity and control the resultant position of cue all the way while the opponent needs to play out of hiz mind to have any opportunity.

Such is one of the possible positive take-aways from examining what contributes to success in billiards
You make good observations. And one that I question. When you state, there are three who you know that would smoke we who have posed, how would you know that. In the old days, that would be motivation to say, okay pony up, put your big boy pants on, and let's settle this on the pool table. And without knowing my and the others skill level here, it's a very broad brush to say one knows others would would smoke us. Just how would someone that without knowing our talent level compared to your friends level? And because the friends choose to respond is no point that they may, or may not be more talented.

After becoming an adult, and having a few dollars more in my pocket than as a teen, those types of challenges were always exciting. I do know one thing about most every exceptional pool player I ever met. They never bragged or were overt. They were savvy, discerning and mostly low key.

It is quizzical to me some of the responses this thread has generated. The intent was to apply some personal experience of game strategy in another sport to TT. I guess for some this is a hot button.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well, I have made a number of threads where only a few participated and the rest of the forum hated on it or didn't care, so it isn't a capital crime at all, I am prolly a worse offender in that aspect.

I knew you were gunna get challenged and riled up over the first sentence, but I stand by what I said.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Well, I have made a number of threads where only a few participated and the rest of the forum hated on it or didn't care, so it isn't a capital crime at all, I am prolly a worse offender in that aspect.

I knew you were gunna get challenged and riled up over the first sentence, but I stand by what I said.
All in good fun. If we all did not enjoy a challenge we would not likely play sports. The post reminded me of a hot shot who was full of himself with lots of bluster. He bragged about how good he was at pool and challenged me. When he said he wanted to play eight ball, I knew I had the advantage, and I did. Now, the first key is to ask someone what game they play. If they say eight ball. Then it's lights over. Eight ball is purely a recreational game. It's for playing to win a beer at a bar. It's for players who use quarters to play. It's for players who enjoy playing with a slightly enlarged cue ball so the ball returns when one scratches. If someone says nine ball, now that is usually a different story. If they say one-pocket then a high probability they are a player. If they say let's play straight pool, then that's usually the true player.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I once played my boss, who said he used to play for high dollar stakes 16-20 hours in a gambling pool hall in a very large metro. He said he used have a diamond studded cue.

So the boss and us were eating out one day, after eating, there was a 7' recreational table available. So we had a mini 8 ball tournament. I hadn't played much in decades. I barely survived the 1st game vs another employee. Then to play my boss, I got a rush like I used to get as a teenager. I was fortunate to make a couple of shots and with the cue ball positioning. I was shooting the 8 ball, not a tough shot but missed, then my boss cleaned the table to win. Another guy said to me privately, you missed that shot on purpose. I said yes, didn't want to embarrass him. The win didn't mean anything to me. My boss was clearly a better player than me. He said he hadn't played competitively in 5 years. His wife made him quit gambling.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017

I’m getting mixed up( I’m from the UK) when you say billiards do you mean pool or snooker ?. Billiards in that UK was a game played before snooker was invented which involved playing with three balls and used to go on for days on end at the higher level!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I’m getting mixed up( I’m from the UK) when you say billiards do you mean pool or snooker ?. Billiards in that UK was a game played before snooker was invented which involved playing with three balls and used to go on for days on end at the higher level!

Yes, in the USA, billiards is thought of as pool or snooker.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
No one ever accused me of being good at the queen's English, or amerikan English. If I ask my Aussie friend to hand me a torch (with the intent to power flame heat something up), I would get puzzled by him handing me a flashlight. (which is a torch in their englishy) Billiards over here is a term for several "pool" games" in general.

bil·liards

/ˈbilyərdz/

noun

noun: billiards; modifier noun: billiard
any of various games played on a billiard table in which cues are used to strike balls against each other or into pockets around the edge of the table, often for the stakes of chicken and beer. In North America the term encompasses games such as carom billiards, English billiards, and pool.
a game played on a billiard table with pockets, in which cues are used to strike three balls and points are made by caroms, pocketing an object ball, or caroming the cue ball into a pocket. In the UK, Australia, and other countries, the game is known simply as 'billiards'.
plural noun: English billiards

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
No worries Der Echte, thanks for clearing that up. It doesn’t take a lot for me to get confused .
Newtimes, sorry if I’ve hijacked your thread. I did initially try to put some comparisons between the sports but as can happen the thread has taken on a life of its own .
I can see a forum pool competition happening at this rate !.
Now the burning question is what is the harder game to learn, snooker or pool or TT ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
No worries Der Echte, thanks for clearing that up. It doesn’t take a lot for me to get confused .
Newtimes, sorry if I’ve hijacked your thread. I did initially try to put some comparisons between the sports but as can happen the thread has taken on a life of its own .
Now the burning question is what is the harder game to learn, snooker or pool or TT ?
All is good when interesting posts come to a thread. No hijacking intent seen here.There have been some parallels mentioned between pool/billiards and TT. I've enjoyed the banter and soft lobs. And when the conversation flows at least folks share their sentiments, and that does have value. Did I mention the time ........

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I'm saying TT due to the speed of the game and quick reflexes needed. And pool with the necessity to understand a static movement that then becomes motion. And the act of striking the cue ball to hit another ball for an outcome. Then with TT there's reading the ball, reacting to its movement and choosing an offensive or defensive action. The more I try to distinguish the two, the more the uniquenesses and similarities abound.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Starsky, sometimes it is fresh air to hijack, sometimes it pisses off some folk mightily. Either way, you or anyone would soon know. There are several professional thread hijackerz in the ranks here at TTD and you never know what they will say. I would doubt your comments negatively affected the value or flow of the thread, they take on their own life sometimes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I must admit NewTimes OP pricked my ears as spending your early years in billiard halls is something I had done as well from the age of 15 to 19. In fact it became a career so I couldn’t help but to comment and add my tuppence worth as it since it was such a big part of my life.
Anyway Loopadoop your order of difficulty is probably what I would have gone for. With TT being a ‘open’ sport and having to react to another persons shot in a split second is what makes TT harder and of course the physical aspect as well in my opinion. Personally I think the mental aspect in snooker/pool is more important due to them being a ‘closed’ sport. Similar in a way to golf.
Snooker is definitely harder to learn than pool due to the reasons you give and also due to the amount of balls you need to pot in a sequence to win the game . It’s the reason why you will see many good snooker players are capable of winning a pool game at one visit but less so with pool players playing snooker. Of course there is the tactical side to both games to learn.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I must admit NewTimes OP pricked my ears as spending your early years in billiard halls is something I had done as well from the age of 15 to 19. In fact it became a career so I couldn’t help but to comment and add my tuppence worth as it since it was such a big part of my life.
Anyway Loopadoop your order of difficulty is probably what I would have gone for. With TT being a ‘open’ sport and having to react to another persons shot in a split second is what makes TT harder and of course the physical aspect as well in my opinion. Personally I think the mental aspect in snooker/pool is more important due to them being a ‘closed’ sport. Similar in a way to golf.
Snooker is definitely harder to learn than pool due to the reasons you give and also due to the amount of balls you need to pot in a sequence to win the game . It’s the reason why you will see many good snooker players are capable of winning a pool game at one visit but less so with pool players playing snooker. Of course there is the tactical side to both games to learn.
Agree 100%. I am glad that I pricked your ears with the thread. Another thought came into my mind with your comment. To we who attempted to become proficient in chess in our early teen years, that mental part of strategy also resembles more the strategy of pool/billiards. And as we age, the speed of the TT game, as our body changes (father time), creates another hurdle. The diminishing of the physical body reflexes. Something that neither pool/billiards or chess or other strategy, non-physical games can accomplish. But TT can extend that. Which is another tremendous reason to play. Lastly, my dad's pool hall was named "Town and Country Family Billiards". He thought the family mention would reduce the seedy perception of the pool hall. It helped, but I still learned to gamble and was exposed to some of the under belly of society.

Last edited: