How to implement strategy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
When I was 12, my dad opened a family billiard parlor (he did not want to call it a pool hall). I got to pay 6 to 8 hours a day for 4 years. I had a knack for the game, and being exposed to exceptional players, and yes traveling players sometimes knows colloquially as "sharks", I got quite good. Even Alan Hopkins, a then champion player nine-ball player, spent extended time at my dad's place. During this 4 year experience I observed and learned about strategy of the game. Sure, the mechanics of the shot and position of the cue ball is very important. The speed of the cue, right-bottom, left, right english knowledge, all built a foundation for me. Then I noticed some players, especially when gambling, tightened up and missed shots easily made while other players would excel when the game had added importance.

I watched how the really good pool players did subtle things. How they approached the table after a missed shot. Applying chalk to their cue. How many played stone-faced not reacting with emotion or gestures. How they reacted after making a easy or hard shot, or when they made an exceptionally hard shot or missed a very easy one. I observed their presence their gestures, their facial expressions. How they accepted losing and how they handled winning.

I have approached my return to playing TT with the same demeanor. At first, I was just happy to be playing and gleeful that I could still play after many years away. As I've progressed, I'm gaining a focus and desire that's evolved from my playful beginning. I'm becoming cognizant of how I react to missed or erratic shots and am I giving an advantage to my opponent in my actions. In playing pool, cool and calm always was better than exhalations, both in victory or defeat. The parallels to TT seem very close.

I'm interested in the experience and knowledge of others and how small nuances have provided you an advantage. Basically, the mental aspect of the game. There will always be the gunslinger player who plays with an earned aura that gives them an advantage. And for intermediate to advanced players, this insight knowledge I know, from my pool hall experiences, can win another point or two or more. I'm interested in what insights you have learned and how you apply them. If you care to share.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Evil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I used to play a lot of snooker as a young teenager at a local pool hall. I became quite good. The local top players who played for change up to a $1 wouldn't play me for money after awhile. I had a regular old pool hall table at my home.

The touch and strategy required for snooker can be applied to tt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I used to play a lot of snooker as a young teenager at a local pool hall. I became quite good. The local top players who played for change up to a $1 wouldn't play me for money after awhile. I had a regular old pool hall table at my home.

The touch and strategy required for snooker can be applied to tt.
As a 12 year old at the pool hall, I was the youngest. Many HS kids playing recreational 8 ball, serious guys playing 9 ball gambling on the 5-7-9, and the heavy hitters playing one-pocket. The travel players usually played 9 ball. It made me, as a kid, watch, listen and not have my presence effect play. Values I want to apply to TT and using subtle nuances to my advantage.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Cont'd from above, we had a teenage club that had 3 regular pool tables and 1 snooker table. The regular tables were always backed up so I would practice on the snooker table since none of the other kids liked to play. After practicing a lot I went to the local pool hall. The best player there was the top summer league baseball softball umpire. After I started beating him. He was embarrassed a 13 year old kid could beat him and wouldn't play me anymore.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Cont'd from above, we had a teenage club that had 3 regular pool tables and 1 snooker table. The regular tables were always backed up so I would practice on the snooker table since none of the other kids liked to play. After practicing a lot I went to the local pool hall. The best player there was the top summer league baseball softball umpire. After I started beating him. He was embarrassed a 13 year old kid could beat him and wouldn't play me anymore.
I had the same experience. I could beat most of the regulars. I was inconsistent as a kid but had the eye. It intimidated lots of guys older than me to be better than they. Some small minded ones resorted to verbal jabs and insults to use intimidation as their advantage. Funny how one can remember in detail from 54 years ago such a specific experience.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Sandpaper paddles. Ah yes. We used to place our hand with the ball directly on the paddle to direct the serve. No tossing unobstructed there. Lots of great competition even though it was all illegal. My sandpaper days where when we went to our college student union and played lots. Of course remember this was the early 70's, and well you get the drift. We had to overcome lots of personally induced obstacles to play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
There are times when someone opens a new and potentially interesting topic with an anecdote. Sometimes the topic then develops into an informative and beneficial discussion of the original question. Sometimes it develops into a long and entirely irrelevant ramble down memory lane. Guess which one this is.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
There are times when someone opens a new and potentially interesting topic with an anecdote. Sometimes the topic then develops into an informative and beneficial discussion of the original question. Sometimes it develops into a long and entirely irrelevant ramble down memory lane. Guess which one this is.

More interesting than people hijacking the Hong Kong Jr Cadet thread with rants on the political protest, taking away from the kids participation in the tournament.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Then if is what you feel, maybe there other areas you can play that would interest you more. To slight a thread is easy and judgmental. It's sort of like a keyboard sucker punch. No one is making anyone read this thread. It's their choice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
No one is making anyone read this thread. It's their choice.
Wrong. Because you have titled this thread "How to implement strategy" people are deceived into reading a whole load of stuff which has nothing to do with strategy. By derailing your very own thread, you are misleading other members of the forum.

You will note from the Forum topics menu that this thread has been looked at over 400 times, yet only three people have bothered to comment. Why is that? Because of your deceptive thread title.

Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Is this really a good use of your time? Is there some joy or satisfaction you are achieving from being the forum police. Now you turn your comments personal. I get that you are angry and that this post gave you an outlet to express you feelings. I am not going to take you bait to fight. To hammer a poster, with a judgmental value of what you feel is appropriate is a reflection on your self perceived value. Rather than dismiss the post, and go elsewhere, you've chosen to criticize it, and me for the direction that the thread took. The higher standard would have been to just not participate. But you've got an agenda. You want to fight. You want a battle.

I responded to the posters in the thread, who seem to share more in common with myself that you. I was not "derailing you very own thread". I get this thread has given you an opportunity to express anger. I'm wise enough to realize that, as most all who will read you comments, that what was a light-hearted thread has not become a one-person attack my someone who is angry.

Do what you wish. Post here and everywhere else you want. I'll not play your game of keyboard angry battle. I'll not respond any more. And I wish you well and hope that you will be wiser in the future, learn some tolerance, make less accusations, count to ten before tapping a keyboard, and be less knee-jerk in future responses. Again, was this really a good use of your time? My time is much more important and valuable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I used to be a snooker player myself ranked in the top 40 as an amateur in the 80’s(arguably snookers heyday) . I had a very misspent youth

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I used to be a snooker player myself ranked in the top 40 as an amateur in the 80’s(arguably snookers heyday) . I had a very misspent youth

Wow, a lot of fun, not wasted time. I played late fall to early spring, annually. I had a free place to practice so played 5 days a week.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Wow, a lot of fun, not wasted time. I played late fall to early spring, annually. I had a free place to practice so played 5 days a week.

I never really saw the States( I guess that’s where your from ) as a snooker playing country tbh.
There was a saying at the time I played that if you was good at snooker/pool it was the sign of a misspent youth , meaning that you’ve spent far too much time in the company of shady characters and dark dingy clubs and pool halls when you was a youth . I can confirm that I did indeed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Anyway getting back on topic , I actually wrote out another paragraph on my initial post but it disappeared . What I said was that in my experience it’s hard to compare pool/snooker to TT especially the mental aspect as the former is a ‘closed’ sport and the latter is an ‘open’ sport. Saying that I have seen more gamesmanship in my short TT playing in local leagues than I ever did in all my time playing snooker comps. I think importance of correct practice and repetition etc can be transferred to any sport though.