Mental checklist for Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
View attachment 19599

One time there was a video of me playing a match and someone who watched the video said something like: "what the heck is Carl doing? Is it legal to let your forearm rest on the table like that before you serve?"

I got the idea from a friend who helped me improve. He told me to do it. He said, when I was serving, I was tossing to fast and not taking my time to get ready mentally. When whoever asked the question about whether it was legal to rest your forearm on the table, someone posted this photo of Ma Long doing the same. All I can tell you is, starting from there does a host of things:

1) You darn sure are as low as is legal. To have your forearm there you have to get down low.
2) By having the forearm on the table and angled back so your hand is behind the end line, you are ensuring that you are not starting your toss below the table or over the back of the table.
3) By doing this, you ensure there is a position you can pause in to take a moment and focus, to not rush.

Then you don't need the item on the checklist that says: "don't rush the serve." Because you have something physical that gives you the tools to slow down before you serve.

Try it. :)

This is a very nice advice. I actually learned it recently, at my new club. I now do something quite similar, same position as the picture, but only resting the thumb over the table. It really works as you described.

Btw, the guy on your profile picture is doing it too :rolleyes:

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is a very nice advice. I actually learned it recently, at my new club. I now do something quite similar, same position as the picture, but only resting the thumb over the table. It really works as you described.

Btw, the guy on your profile picture is doing it too :rolleyes:

The guy on my profile pic is Michael Maze. :) And yes, it is a good place to start your serve. :)