Which OFF/OFF+ blades are your favorite for touch play?

This user has no status.
A certain series of events got me focused on how various blades affect touch play (especially short pushes).

I had been using my typical blade (Stiga Infinity (OFF rated all wood blade). When I switched rubber to JOOLA Rhyzer 48. I loved it for looping, hitting, and even blocking, but my forehand pushes were going too high and long. I simply accepted that the rubber is more bouncy and decided to focus my coaching sessions on my pushing technique to try to do a better job of pushing short serves back low and short. The lesson did help significantly but...

I switched my blade from the Infinity to the JOOLA Nobilis (using the same rubber) and noticed that my pushes were less bouncy and therefore easier to keep short and low. I was very surprised, because the Nobilis is comparatively faster and more powerful at everything else (looping, counter hit, block, etc..). Kind of the best best of both worlds compared to the Infinity. I’m a little curious as to the reason why? Maybe because the ZLC is close to the core and therefore not being engaged? Maybe the thick Hinoki outer plies have a non-linear dampening effect on soft pushes?

So the main question is: which OFF/OFF+ blades do you think are great for touch play? No one wants to give up points on bad pushes. For the sake of comparison let’s assume that a 47-48 degree ESN (or equivalent) rubber is being used.

Reactions: Wister
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
My choice: Butterfly Innerforce blades with ALC or ZLC.

Feel like a 5-ply all-wood blade in every aspect of the game, except they give you that extra kick when you really engage the ball in a fast drive or spinny loop. The short game is ever so important, you want to keep your opponent from attacking first and also give yourself the chance to strike first. I'd favor a blade that would allow me a better short game over one that was faster for this reason, in the end, it would give me more chances to attack anyway.

From what you describe, your Nobilis is a inner ZLC, correct?

Reactions: BryanY
This user has no status.
Hi all.
As those blades are completely different I'm not sure we can so easily compare them. Program is not the same.
If we are looking some T5000 as the Primorac and the Garaydia we can see the outer hinoki is thiner in the Garaydia who makes it more bouncy. Thickness is 7,0 and 7,2 mm. I've both, played with T64FX 2,1 and the primorac is easier for me in the short game. After a change to Dignics 05 2,1 I finally prefer the Garaydia ZLC with its 7,1 mm, the feeling is better than my Primorac for the short game even if I lost power in my top spin. Maybe with the Dignics my Garaydia T5000 would work better??
Finally just to say if you really want to compare blades don't change the rubbers as you need a base to evaluate the changes.

Correct. It’s a 3 + 2 blade with thick 1.2mm hinoki plies on the outside. So, I would describe it as an inner blade because of how thick the outer ply is. (Hinoki - ZLC - Kiri - ZLC - Hinoki).

Your experience means that may be you have a good feel and synergy with Hinoki.

I play with Xiom Vega Tour and although its with a thinner Hinoki outer ply I find it perfect for pushes.
Speaking about ESN Tensors, I prefer the harder ones with less catapult on weaker shots, like Xiom Omega V Asia and O7 Asia, the second being better in all departments. The stronger trampoline of the softer tensors on weaker shots damp down the Hinoki feel and performance.

Stiga Azalea Off, Tmount T540, Xiom Feel AX, Joola Nobilis. All of these blades have really good feel and the speed is slower than an off+ zlc blade. Drop shots and other shots that require control and touch are all good with the above mentioned.

Reactions: thomas.pong