How did this happen

I just noticed this while playing the other day. The top sheet is torn from the inside with an irregular edge and it doesn't go all the way to the side. I don't remember hitting the table at any point and there is no mark or nick. Could it be from a ball impact? It's just the top sheet not the sponge.
6ef19cc301b8ec1a30fea7e4f9f08c88.jpg

Julian

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Seems you have left some rubber longer than the end of the blade so maybe you hit the table from the inside out of the rubber whithout the blade touching the table.Only the rubber which sort of cracked.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Don't worry about it. Take some water based glue and put it in the tear. Then put the two edges of the tear together and let the glue dry. After fully dry, peel off any excess glue. And forget about it.

It could have happened by hitting the table without you realizing it. It could have happened when someone else grabbed your racket for 3 min. It could have gotten banged in your bag. No reason to worry about how it happened. But it happened as a result of impact (not from a ball) or from something pulling on that edge of the rubber. Probably impact.

The important thing is, that should not affect your play because the tear is not in your hitting zone. So bond the two edges and ignore it.

Reactions: Atas Newton
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I work with people. A lot of the people I work with have bad backs. They always want to tell me how their back got bad. What caused it. I let them talk because people like to do that. But I don't need that information. All I need is the information about what bothers their back and what makes it feel better. To help their bad back not be a bad back, I don't need to know what caused it. Just what will make it better, and what will make it worse so I get them to not do what will make it worse and I get them TO DO what will make it better.

With your rubber, fixing that is much easier than someone's back. Just glue the tear closed so it does not continue to tear.

Reactions: bircham boi
This user has no status.
It's always hard to tell why a friendship is broken. So sad.

Good one lol

On a serious note, OP, seriously it could've been anything. You hitting (or even lightly scraping) without you noticing or just cheap rubber quality, or whatever else. Not a big deal and it's not worth discussing any further.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I work with people. A lot of the people I work with have bad backs. They always want to tell me how their back got bad. What caused it. I let them talk because people like to do that. But I don't need that information. All I need is the information about what bothers their back and what makes it feel better. To help their bad back not be a bad back, I don't need to know what caused it. Just what will make it better, and what will make it worse so I get them to not do what will make it worse and I get them TO DO what will make it better.

With your rubber, fixing that is much easier than someone's back. Just glue the tear closed so it does not continue to tear.

Doesn’t that technically make it illegal?

says thank you for your response.it was very helpful.i really...
says thank you for your response.it was very helpful.i really...
Mar 2018
it has also happened to me with both sides.andro hexer power grip and yasaka rakza 7.those rubbers are not cheap.the reason that happened is because the edge tape is pressing the topsheet of the rubber, you played a push,you hitted the table with the edge tape and the edge tape crouched the rubber.i did the same thing that carl said but the tear was growing bigger day by day.so i took the edge tape off and the problem solved.i hope that helps for you too.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Illegal only at national and > level

It's only illegal if the referee, (the person running the tournament as opposed to the umpire), says so.
Below national level, not many referees would not allow that bat.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I would simply say, if Julian is playing high level tournaments, then this issue would matter. If he is not, then it should not matter.

That tear would not impact his play whether it was left as is or glued closed. And either way, it would be something that could be called by an umpire if Julian was playing in a high enough league.

So, yeah, technically, it is against the rules even if what Tinykin said is valuable and important. But it is not something that would help or hinder his play. So, does it matter in this instance?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
At least it's a fairly cheap rubber, just get it replaced. There's no need to obsess over why it happened.
This could've happened to any rubber.
But tacky Chinese rubbers usually have thicker, harder topsheets that are less prone to this type of damage.

Damn. U.S. beat me to the no-shyt Sherlock answer.

He said the practical thing, just replace it, not that much money involved. On a separate note, some Chinese rubbers have brittle topsheets and can end up like the pic with one false strike on the table.

SO MANY TT players in USA are such total Scrooge type it is so hilarious, I think Greg Letts is gunna do his next vid on that aspect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I would simply say, if Julian is playing high level tournaments, then this issue would matter. If he is not, then it should not matter.

That tear would not impact his play whether it was left as is or glued closed. And either way, it would be something that could be called by an umpire if Julian was playing in a high enough league.

So, yeah, technically, it is against the rules even if what Tinykin said is valuable and important. But it is not something that would help or hinder his play. So, does it matter in this instance?

It certainly wouldn’t matter in the level I play, but I don’t know his level. Hell, I know a lot of people who are still using speed glue.

I’m still curious though. I think even if it’s left like that it’s still illegal, which makes me wonder what happens if in a world-class tournament someone hits their bat on the table and chip the rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
It certainly wouldn’t matter in the level I play, but I don’t know his level. Hell, I know a lot of people who are still using speed glue.

I’m still curious though. I think even if it’s left like that it’s still illegal, which makes me wonder what happens if in a world-class tournament someone hits their bat on the table and chip the rubber?

They get their spare rackets, don't they? Like when Zhou Yu ripped off his rubber to try to get the spare one for unknown reasons.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Damn. U.S. beat me to the no-shyt Sherlock answer.

He said the practical thing, just replace it, not that much money involved. On a separate note, some Chinese rubbers have brittle topsheets and can end up like the pic with one false strike on the table.

SO MANY TT players in USA are such total Scrooge type it is so hilarious, I think Greg Letts is gunna do his next vid on that aspect.

Haha, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to steal your thunder.

On a more serious note, it always puzzles me that some people mention how sturdy a rubber is against scraping table's edge when talking about topsheet durability. I hope they realize that rubber topsheets are not designed to be durable against hitting table edge.
So I fully expect a topsheet to be damaged when my racket hits the edge. If it isn't, then I know I got really lucky.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+1]Another layer on topsheet ?? I can see it is "binary" topsheet. It is illegal for topsheet to consist of more than one layer, sorry. [/size]

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to steal your thunder.

On a more serious note, it always puzzles me that some people mention how sturdy a rubber is against scraping table's edge when talking about topsheet durability. I hope they realize that rubber topsheets are not designed to be durable against hitting table edge.
So I fully expect a topsheet to be damaged when my racket hits the edge. If it isn't, then I know I got really lucky.
That said, a LOT of older Chinese top sheets were built like tanks... think 999 tipsheet or H3.

You not stealing thunder, you can have it, that would make my hearing worse.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk