Artengo (Decathlon) brand table

When I visit my parents I play in a bar that has an Artengo table from Decathlon. The table seems bouncier than club tables and I noticed last night that my backspin serves go over the edge, while on other tables they stop or come back. If I brush underneath the ball and let it fall vertically on the table, the first bounce is straight up then on the second the spin catches.

What could be the issue, is the top layer too smooth? Would it help to sand it very lightly with something like 400 grit?

Julian

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
You might try recoating it with a matte alkyd paint. This is some form of hush-hush table manufacturer's secret, but as far as I can tell that's what they use. I have restored damaged tables with that (filling in holes, dents, scratches first with wood filler, and sanding/polishing it after that to get it real smooth and even again) and I'm not noticing ball slippage — or excessive friction — on the newly painted areas.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
You might try recoating it with a matte alkyd paint. This is some form of hush-hush table manufacturer's secret, but as far as I can tell that's what they use. I have restored damaged tables with that (filling in holes, dents, scratches first with wood filler, and sanding/polishing it after that to get it real smooth and even again) and I'm not noticing ball slippage — or excessive friction — on the newly painted areas.
Usually international quality tables are very thick and almost frictionless right? Does this alkyd paint do that too or do we need something like ceramic coating?

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Usually international quality tables are very thick and almost frictionless right? Does this alkyd paint do that too or do we need something like ceramic coating?

My €.02 says that the ball bounce on the table surface areas I restored using alkyd paint is, to me, indistinguishable from the rest of the table. For what it's worth, this is about Tibhar 28R tables. This is anecdotal first, subjective second, and related to a specific table type third. I don't know if and how this generalizes.

This
78ccb9649efe7c2587ef302ad04837f4.jpg

Julian

Reactions: yoass
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Its an outdoor table with just 4 mm melamine tabletop.
You can't do anything to improve the performance.

Yes. No additional coating will help if the table surface is insufficiently massive for a good bounce. I may be picky, but I draw the line at 22mm. Everything's fine and you can play on anything, of course, in good fun. But for serious play, 22mm at least, and 25mm is better.

I see, so if the top is really that thin, it would mean the table flexes, like a blade would, explaining the bounce. Also because the contact time is very short and maybe other factors, the spin doesn't catch. You would need a very very slow bounce (more dwell time) with a lot of spin for it to catch on the table.

Julian