Czech Open 2019 (World Tour)

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
You never know..
I was talking with one of the players, he told me about these chinese players..
He said, that all these 2nd ranked players that are attending pro-tours are never going to be great.
China saves the best players in background untill they are ready. Just like they did with Liang Jingkun.
He attended maybe one-two pro tours and then only played in China..
When he was ready, they released him on the circuit and now he is world no. 10 I think?
So Xue Fei, Zhai Zihao .. well they are not ment to be .. best..

Nah, several of them are up and coming players. Those are the BEST ones they have in reserve. These is a real crisis looming for China that will start manifesting in the next decade, provided Japan and Europe go the extra mile. It won't surprise me if LJK('95) and WCQ('98) end up like FB and YA who were once in top 10.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Btw Matasaka Morizono after not converting 2 matchpoints against Gauzy went crying in the backstage..
Not sure that he was crying, but certainly he looked like he was..
I think this was his chance to gain a chance to tokyo spot .. or not sure why else he got so much emotional..
Poor guy, but what a fighter..

And btw - price for the nicest girl of the japanese team - for me - goes to .. Hitomi SATO!
She is really nice, such a smiling treasure, hehe.. :)

I also wanted to get a picture with Kasumi Ishikawa, I wanted to make a video with her, where she says.. "I love you zeiooo" .. but couldnt do it.. before match she said after the match and after the match she was too busy in the training hall..
(yep, after the match she went to training hall and trained hard)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Nah, several of them are up and coming players. Those are the BEST ones they have in reserve. These is a real crisis looming for China that will start manifesting in the next decade, provided Japan and Europe go the extra mile. It won't surprise me if LJK('95) and WCQ('98) end up like FB and YA who were once in top 10.

Its just what I have been told, not claiming it to be true.
But more players think that way..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
It's all very incalculable. Even LGL can't serve as wise oracle. Remember how, I think two years back at Marvellous 12 he was thrashing XX, that his game was finished even trying some new stuff was not enough (maybe it was also mind game to incite him, but still). And now XX is #1 again - who would have guessed.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
So anyways I was talking to Drinkhall y-day and he decided not to let me copy the video of his match with Shibaev, he said he would upload it to youtube by himself.
I said - thats good enough for me, because that is all I wanted ;)

So - lets hope he will do it soon ;)

Weird, was this a match from the tournament?

Because at a pro tournament you don't have to ask the players for their permission to record, but ask the ITTF or organizer if you can record/upload it.

I mean, it's still nice of you to respect Drinkhall's request :eek:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Weird, was this a match from the tournament?

Because at a pro tournament you don't have to ask the players for their permission to record, but ask the ITTF or organizer if you can record/upload it.

I mean, it's still nice of you to respect Drinkhall's request :eek:

I think you dont understand - Drinkhall recorded that on his own camera ;)

Jan 2018
True but the main point remains that it is hard to make predictions. I doubt anyone seriously believed Xu Xin would be this competitive in singles again.

Predictions aren't as difficult as one may think. Before the WTTC Budapest, LGL had already said in a CCTV interview that XX should focus on XD instead. If he and LSW were to make a breakthrough, they'd have made it long ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Predictions aren't as difficult as one may think. Before the WTTC Budapest, LGL had already said in a CCTV interview that XX should focus on XD instead. If he and LSW were to make a breakthrough, they'd have made it long ago.
I think LGL is just saying this so XX can bring his best in it and to secure the Xd bag, As mentally it'll influence the performance in the team and singles, if they lose the mixed it'll be all gloomy in the camp. I think that the World Champs was the last chance for XX, irrespective of how many tour events he wins before Tokyo's onset, I think he's just strengthening his position as the 3rd player, ML and FZD will play singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
You never know..
I was talking with one of the players, he told me about these chinese players..
He said, that all these 2nd ranked players that are attending pro-tours are never going to be great.
China saves the best players in background untill they are ready. Just like they did with Liang Jingkun.
He attended maybe one-two pro tours and then only played in China..
When he was ready, they released him on the circuit and now he is world no. 10 I think?
So Xue Fei, Zhai Zihao .. well they are not ment to be .. best..

I just double checked on ITTF since I only follow professional table tennis since olympics 2016.
Liang played 9 World Tour events from 2013 to 2015 when he was around 16-18 years old.
He was also very active on the junior circuit. It is however true that he had a break between 2015 and 2017 and after that break he rejoined the Chinese team way more successful than before.
Also Lin Gaoyuan had a similar story.
He played 8 Pro Tour events from 2009 to 2011 when he was around 14-16 years old. During the next 4 years however he only attended 2 more events and rejoined the team in 2016 at the age of 20 again being way more successful and active than before.

It seems to be true that China is not necessary sending their biggest hopes regulary to World Tour events. However both Lin Gaoyuan and Liang Jingkun were no strangers kept im secret.

And now to be honest...you could write up the exact same story for Zheng Peifeng who was active and sucessful on the Junior Circuit. He played 5 Pro Tour events from 2009-2010 aged 13-14 years old. Then however only attended 1 more event in the following 7 years. But he came back last year and had very strong results immediately reaching QF in his first event and winning his second. And right now he even reached WR28.

I feel like you can‘t read too much into it. China simply cannot send all their talented players to every single event. They don‘t always send the best of the best but I don‘t think they send any player without a reason.

Reactions: Ioiettino