Slower tensor/tensor-like rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
We've all heard of MX-P, Rasanter and Tenergy. These are high-end fast rubbers that many professionals use. However, recently I've been wondering whether using Rasanter R47 has detrimentally affected my game as the rubber is quite fast and I sometimes find myself not swinging fully on shots as I'm afraid I'm going to overshoot the table due to the speed.

So I was trying to think of the "slower" tensor and tensor-like (high tension?) rubbers on the market and I could only think of a few: such as Andro Hexer.

I was hoping the community here could help me build a list of slower, more forgiving (and hopefully cheaper!) rubbers that I should consider.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I am playing with Nittaku Fastarc G-1 on the backhand because I wanted something more controllable and forgiving than Tenergy. So far it has worked out well. And when you really cut loose it has plenty of spin and speed.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Of course it depends on how much more controllable you are talking about.

Xiom Vega Pro is more controllable than the rubbers you listed.

Xiom Intro is more toned down than Vega Pro.

Nexy Karis M is an excellent toned down rubber. Very linear. It is actually a little like Vega Pro but more controllable.

But Mark V which is a classic rubber, not a rubber that tries to simulate the speed glue effect ("tensioned") and it would also probably be good. I have seen guys who used Mark V till way late in their development and still spin the hell out of the ball.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Control is a relative thing and task-oriented. Some rubbers of a similar top end are crappy at one thing that a same class rubber is great at.

Some factors to look at...

Topsheet - Is it hard, is it supple? Is it thin? Is it easy to penetrate or wrap? Pip structure is a huge factor too T25 sux rox while T05 has ben a standard over a decade running.

Sponge - hardness/softness/catapult or not

Overall combo - is it more high arcing, or low

Players need to discover whether they want dynamic, half dynamic, linear, har/med/soft sponge for the shots they do the most.

A low throw fast rubber is GREAT for counter-ripping an incoming loop, but it sucks at opening loops and medium loops.

A linear rubber is great at blocking, countering, and the low to medium force shots, but for openers, you gotta work harder than a modern dynamic, for finishes you gotta work harder too... could be bad or good depending.

A modern dynamic high arcing rubber combo is great for heavy spin and for control counter-topspin with the right grip.
Discovering the sponge hardness for the type of player's impact is very important, has a direct impact on the outcome.

So... the answer isn't so easy.

Overall, I would say if the player is a topspinner, go for Vega Pro and soften it up if it is too hard (but it really isn't that firm a rubber)

if you like linear, go for Karis. Nexy is about to put MX-K on the Korean market - the Karis kind of topspheet with the dynamic sponge of MX-P... that might be another animal as well.

We've all heard of MX-P, Rasanter and Tenergy. These are high-end fast rubbers that many professionals use. However, recently I've been wondering whether using Rasanter R47 has detrimentally affected my game as the rubber is quite fast and I sometimes find myself not swinging fully on shots as I'm afraid I'm going to overshoot the table due to the speed.

So I was trying to think of the "slower" tensor and tensor-like (high tension?) rubbers on the market and I could only think of a few: such as Andro Hexer.

I was hoping the community here could help me build a list of slower, more forgiving (and hopefully cheaper!) rubbers that I should consider.

What is your Andro Temper Tech - the hard and stiff OFF, or the softer and more flexy Hinoki outer ply All+?
I tend to say its the OFF, and if so, it may be a better idea to step back to a softer and more flexy blade.
If its the Hinoki All+, then the matter is much more on the technique side.
In both cases you should analyze and find out the real problems. Sometimes the "too fast feel" is not a real speed, but just a technique problem.
As Der_Echte explained above, the answer is impossible without knowing the exact problem.
Speaking just generally the thread would list tenths of really good rubbers, but at the end it may be of no help at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Stiga Genesis M, the original version. I find it to be a bit slower than Fastarc G1, Rakza 7, Bluefire M2, etc... It is a little slower with more control and a good amount of spin. I really like playing with it, but I find it a little to slow, so I am more of a Fastarc G1 user now.

The AK47 rubbers are a bit faster than the Genesis as well. IMO Hadou 40+ is good, but a little on the heavy side.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
If you like R47 but think it's too fast, why not go for the R42 or Vega Europe?

If you find those to be too soft, then a 45 deg rubber like Rozena.

Vega Pro and Rakza 7 are also good ones at 47.5 deg.

It's important to keep in mind all the elements of a rubber/sponge/effects Der_Echte mentioned. Although, in order to tell the differences, you've got to try a lot of rubbers. A good way to find what suits you is to try other players' equipment.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
in order to tell the differences, you've got to try a lot of rubbers.

...and you'll always remain haunted, because there just might always be a better one right behind the next corner. :)

My humble advice is not to overthink and overexperiment, and lagom out at some point. Preferredly sooner than later.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Control is a relative thing and task-oriented. Some rubbers of a similar top end are crappy at one thing that a same class rubber is great at.

Some factors to look at...

Topsheet - Is it hard, is it supple? Is it thin? Is it easy to penetrate or wrap? Pip structure is a huge factor too T25 sux rox while T05 has ben a standard over a decade running.

Sponge - hardness/softness/catapult or not

Overall combo - is it more high arcing, or low

Players need to discover whether they want dynamic, half dynamic, linear, har/med/soft sponge for the shots they do the most.

A low throw fast rubber is GREAT for counter-ripping an incoming loop, but it sucks at opening loops and medium loops.

A linear rubber is great at blocking, countering, and the low to medium force shots, but for openers, you gotta work harder than a modern dynamic, for finishes you gotta work harder too... could be bad or good depending.

A modern dynamic high arcing rubber combo is great for heavy spin and for control counter-topspin with the right grip.
Discovering the sponge hardness for the type of player's impact is very important, has a direct impact on the outcome.

So... the answer isn't so easy.

Overall, I would say if the player is a topspinner, go for Vega Pro and soften it up if it is too hard (but it really isn't that firm a rubber)

if you like linear, go for Karis. Nexy is about to put MX-K on the Korean market - the Karis kind of topspheet with the dynamic sponge of MX-P... that might be another animal as well.

Very useful post, thanks :) It's not very often that we have a description of a category of rubbers and for what kind of play it is good. If one day you feel like giving more details on it, it would be great. Maybe it's a lot of work and it could be done collaboratively and sticked to the main page ? Easy to say, i know :)

says Footwork footwork footwork
I thought Rakza 7 was a nice controllable tensor, but I’ve recently been swooned by Nittaku FastArc g-1 which is a tad slower than Rakza but has a bit more spin with my strokes.

I’ll take that bit if extra control and safety on my backhand any day!

That said, I’ve tried Xiom Vega Pro Asia (or japan...I can’t remember) and I thought that was a very direct but controllable tensor. Probably a bit slower than G1.

My style: offensive penholder utilizing reverse penhold backhand (my tensor side). My BH flicks tend to be loopy/spinny, and my top spin to top spin rallies tend to have more of a drive-loop stroke. All depending on the given ball, of course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
What is your Andro Temper Tech - the hard and stiff OFF, or the softer and more flexy Hinoki outer ply All+?
I tend to say its the OFF, and if so, it may be a better idea to step back to a softer and more flexy blade.
If its the Hinoki All+, then the matter is much more on the technique side.
In both cases you should analyze and find out the real problems. Sometimes the "too fast feel" is not a real speed, but just a technique problem.
As Der_Echte explained above, the answer is impossible without knowing the exact problem.
Speaking just generally the thread would list tenths of really good rubbers, but at the end it may be of no help at all.

Yes it's the stiffer Temper Tech OFF. It's quite fast. I have actually been entertaining the idea is stepping down to perhaps an OFF- blade or maybe an OFF blade with more flex. Thanks for reinforcing that idea.