Penholder Equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Try a flexible blade first like Stiga Azalea Off or Xiom Offensive S.

+1

Yes I think this is a bit of personal preference but my current blade the Gambler Fire Dragon Touch is a flexy medium at best speed blade.

I like it. They have a fast version but I prefer the Touch one as I think short drop shots and all the necessary short play shots are easier.

Also to the OP, perhaps it's just me but I don't like a thick (as in diameter size of the handle in how round it is) handle. Or if the handle is more round vs say oval, I don't like that for comfort.

It's hard to describe. This illustration should help.

If you have a really thick handle, the paddle at its straightest would be kinda like the Red line shown here.

But if your handle thickness is skinner or more oval shaped, you'll be able to hold the paddle flatter or more in line with your hand like the Green line shown here.

greenvsred.jpg

Anyways, I've had a few blades over the years. My Stiga Clipper? Oval, skinny & comfortable. Same for my Gambler. Pretty much perfect. But also once had a DHS PG7 penhold and that handle was incredibly thick & round and I did not care for it.

I suppose Jpens (what I originally started out playing with) do this the best in that they're incredibly skinny and built for comfort.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi Suds, as you said, everything is up to preferences. Personally, I prefer thick blades (7mm+), fat handles, and wide shoulders haha.

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
As i know him he now please half a year or so with the yeo with h3 neo and vega euorpe and than buys a new blade xD
i guess it is going to be the viscaria clone v14 pro from yinhe or the dhs hurricane 301.
And as forehand rubber than battle 2, bloom power or a hybrid like donic bluegrip.
I think backhand vega europe is save

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Adding to suds vote for skinnier handles. During the 1980's when i played as a kid, all the DHS factory blades had nice thin oval handles. The DHS "032" (5 ply) and DHS "08" (7 ply) also had thin handles.

Since then, I've tried an Avalox P700 (7 ply) and it has a rectangular chunky/fat handle. Personally I found it hard to transition from FH to TPB block/punch.

My main blade for the past 1.5 years has been a Butterfly Taksim. Its handle is not as chunky as the Avalox, but it is rectagular and not oval and not thin. I also cannot transition from FH to TPB punch/block.

Although with the Taksim, i have learnt the RPB technique and the handle is less an issue. Now it is just a matter of comfort and if thinner handle, the Taksim would be more comfortable for me.

Recently based on suds' recommendation, I am trying out the Gambler Fire Touch. The handle is not as oval as the old DHS 032 and 08, but it is a lot thinner than the Avalox and Taksim. Loving the handle so far.

This may be all in my heard though as I'm a mental case LOL

Good luck to your friend, hope to hear how he is playing with his new setup soon.

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
He now has the Ma Lin Extra Offensive and a vega europe 2.0 on the backhand.
On forehand he doesnt like the h3 neo nad he thinks about bluefire m3 or m2 or bluestorm z2 or z3 and thickness 2.0 or max
what do you guys think?