My transition from Penhold to Shakehand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Life may take something away from us, and it hurts us dearly. But it encourages us to make changes that we would not have made if things stayed the same. My finger injury has put a stop in my penhold journey for now, but opened the door to the shakehand grip. Here’s a short clip of my first ever serve practice with the shakehand grip.

Big thank you to NextLevel for the blade and rubber that he gifted me years ago! I finally have the chance to use it.

Has any of you been forced one way or another to change your grip?

On a side note, I picked up my coach's viscaria and tried it today, and loved it, so will probably get it soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi Jeff,

I'm curious about the injury that made you switch from penhold. I've been experiencing persistent soreness on the index finger that sometimes last for weeks. Is this something you can relate?

I've been playing penhold for 10 years, can't imagine the process of switching.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Life may take something away from us, and it hurts us dearly. But it encourages us to make changes that we would not have made if things stayed the same. My finger injury has put a stop in my penhold journey for now, but opened the door to the shakehand grip. Here’s a short clip of my first ever serve practice with the shakehand grip.

Big thank you to NextLevel for the blade and rubber that he gifted me years ago! I finally have the chance to use it.

Has any of you been forced one way or another to change your grip?

On a side note, I picked up my coach's viscaria and tried it today, and loved it, so will probably get it soon.

Hi Jeff glad to read your story.

I am a FH orientrd looper. I played aggressive game with PH grip. My index finger would hurt after 3 games and the pain detrimentally affect the quality of my shots.

I brought a SH to my club one night and used that when my finger was hitting too much. Wow the feel was good. More stability, more control and less pain with SH. Since than I have been playing SH grip.

I do miss PH, the flexibility in serve and receive, the side spin in FH loop etc.

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hi Jeff,

I'm curious about the injury that made you switch from penhold. I've been experiencing persistent soreness on the index finger that sometimes last for weeks. Is this something you can relate?

I've been playing penhold for 10 years, can't imagine the process of switching.

Hi lasta, I have been playing penhold all along, and not much issue. I began to train more in the last 3 months, with coaches. Then after one practice session, I felt a little bit of discomfort in the palmar side of my index finger in the proximal phalange. I didn't take much notice. The following week, I trained with my coach again, and then during the session, I had trouble gripping my blade properly, because of the pain. I have attached a photo to illustrate where the pain is, the pain is probably a bit closer to the proximal phalangeal joint than shown.
Finger.jpg
I have seen a general practitioner, but she thinks its either stress fracture or some tendinopathy, which the treatment would be rest only. So I didn't get a x ray.
I have seen physio, who thinks it is adhesion, and told me to massage the finger. I do get some temporary comfort after massaging the finger, but I am not sure if the comfort is due to me rubbing it so it numbs the finger. I didn't want to do it too much, as I fear it may irritate whatever is inside. The proximal phalange does seem puffier than the other side, I have rested for 5 weeks already.
Initially, when I hold the handle of a cup, because it presses on that part of the finger, it would hurt if it was heavy. Now perhaps I have learnt how to avoid the weight on it, it doesn't hurt, but when I fully bend my index finger, I can sometimes feel some tightness / stretching, with some pain.

Is this similar to what you experiences?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hi Jeff glad to read your story.

I am a FH orientrd looper. I played aggressive game with PH grip. My index finger would hurt after 3 games and the pain detrimentally affect the quality of my shots.

I brought a SH to my club one night and used that when my finger was hitting too much. Wow the feel was good. More stability, more control and less pain with SH. Since than I have been playing SH grip.

I do miss PH, the flexibility in serve and receive, the side spin in FH loop etc.

Hi SFF_lib, thanks for sharing your story. Glad that there is someone who understands this pain driven switch from penhold to shakehand. Is your pain the same location to where mine is? ( as shown on the image above)
Same as you, the pain detrimentally affected my quality of my shots, to the point, that I would rather not play penhold. Did your pain settle down after your switch to shakehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi SFF_lib, thanks for sharing your story. Glad that there is someone who understands this pain driven switch from penhold to shakehand. Is your pain the same location to where mine is? ( as shown on the image above)
Same as you, the pain detrimentally affected my quality of my shots, to the point, that I would rather not play penhold. Did your pain settle down after your switch to shakehand?

Pretty much the same location of pain.

The pain has gone after switching to SH. My shot is more stable probably due to the more stable grip. But i do miss PH though. The serve, in table tricks, flicks and side spin.

I still play PH for fun sometimes.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
*sobs at JeffM and SFF_lib going to SH*

LOLOL at me!

----------

I have changed grips quite a few times, but that is with a PH grip and not changing from PH to SH. Lately I have discomfort, as I am using an extended fingers grip similar to Xu Xin, where middle and ring fingers are touching each other. I have tried the extended fingers spread out grip too but somehow the XX grip is what I have stuck to. The discomfort is mainly in middle and ring fingers. I am not trying to grip supertight but regardless, feel some discomfort.

I used to use an unorthodox grip and felt no pain whatsoever. I am slowly trying to curl my fingers and if i still feel discomfort, I may consider SH *GASP*

Good luck during this period. Hope you (and SFF_lib switch back to PH soon ... LOLOL at me!!)

~osph

p.s. awesome backspin on your SH serves! clearly i need to practice serves more! in the meantime, PH or SH, 9 points please!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I just heard from Ma Lin! He is scared of your serve! He told me to tell you that he will have to pass his title of King of the Ghost Serve to you!!!

LOL!!
I saw this comment at work and couldn't control myself and laughed xD
I haven't tried it in a match setting yet, just practice.
:rolleyes:

Hope your finger is fine so you won't have to make the transition to SH!

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Also, wrist movement and range of motion is more with ph than sh.
Agree. The increased ROM also increases the momentum of the racket. The larger momentum requires a strong grip operated by the middle finger, index finger and the thumb.

So yeah penholders have to have strong fingers. My game suffered because my index finger hurt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
An update on my shakehand journey.
Today I trained with my formal coach.
He seemed to be pleasantly surprised by my shakehand level, given it is our first lesson since the switch.
We trained mostly forehand.
The best thing is, no finger pain after the session!

Here is a short highlight of our session.
As always, feedback / comment welcome.