TSP Swat: Unpopular Popularity

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Curious about this particular blade. It seems to have been the best selling blade in Japan for several years now. Yet it’s rarely discussed in the States (and elsewhere?). Does anyone know any particular reason for it’s popularity over there? From everything I’ve read, I haven’t come across a negative review yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
TSP is a pretty marginal brand over here. Not many stores carry it.

Exactly! Not a lot of advertisement on their part either outside of Japan and Korea.

It's an excellent cheap classic 7-ply all-wood OFF- blade from a trusted Japanese brand, perfect for beginners and intermediate players which is why it is so popular in Japan. Best selling blade there every month for the last 3+ years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver Server
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
perfect for beginners and intermediate players which is why it is so popular in Japan. Best selling blade there every month for the last 3+ years.
This is the part that intrigues me most. 7-plys are usually regarded as too stiff & fast for that level of play, but I hear it has excellent control & flex.

Can it be comparable to classic 5-ply of the same ‘feel’ ie Primo, Korbel, YEO, TSPW, etc?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
This is the part that intrigues me most. 7-plys are usually regarded as too stiff & fast for that level of play, but I hear it has excellent control & flex.

Can it be comparable to classic 5-ply of the same ‘feel’ ie Primo, Korbel, YEO, TSPW, etc?

I'd say so yes. Not all 7-ply are stiff. This one feels more like a Korbel than a Primo.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
They seem to throw all of the marketing budget on Victas as opposed to TSP (same company).

Absolutely. Victas is their premium, newer and more edgy brand made to rival with Butterfly, while TSP remains classic and has built a reputation with pips player. They even signed Liam Pitchford for Victas from Butterfly to make a big push in Europe and give a international edge to the brand in Japan since he's made a big impression beating Koki Niwa, Harimoto and Ma Long and will be playing in the T-League next season.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Liam Pitchford [...] will be playing in the T-League next season.

Oh I didn't know! With the new kind of income they really are ramping up a few gears, I think it is good for the sport and I hope we will have more of the same in Europe.

As for the SWAT, I was looking to switch to it for the new season. Without going full Clipper mostly due to thickness, I was hoping the burned and extra plies would provide more backbone on hard shots, as opposed to a Korbel/my own Offensive S? Surprised to find you don't see any more difference in it. Also, how did you find it away from the table? With some opponents I tend to play retrieve and counter quite a bit, which is also why I don't want to lose out too much on flex.

By the way @yogi_bear, if you read this - I asked you not long ago for advice on red+black blades, and you advised me to go with the Pride. I would actually do that, if not for price and availability (taking into account the rubbers I want to pair it with, and buy at the same time). I would be curious to have your input on the SWAT, if you know it well enough. I know they have different compositions, but do you feel a world of difference between these two blades?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
By the way @yogi_bear, if you read this - I asked you not long ago for advice on red+black blades, and you advised me to go with the Pride. I would actually do that, if not for price and availability (taking into account the rubbers I want to pair it with, and buy at the same time). I would be curious to have your input on the SWAT, if you know it well enough. I know they have different compositions, but do you feel a world of difference between these two blades?
I feel Yogi would refer you to his new favorite 7-ply Fextra lol. Interested to hear his thoughts as well.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Swat is awesome. Large sweet spot, light, controllable speed, comfy grip and very affordable. I certainly like it better than Korbel. Lots of advanced players use it here in Japan.

Hi Ioiettino, I think ttpshot's post here nailed it in describing the TSP Swat. I don't know if I like it more than the Korbel myself, but certainly not less either, the handle is for sure more comfortable on the Swat. It definitely has a large sweet spot and is flexible, good from afar. I would say that it adds a bit of punch with the burned outer and extra plies but not too much (I'd get this feeling from the Korbel Japan too considering it's dense and heavy whereas the Swat is light but more plies), it has a great feel and enough speed. It's definitely worth a try, especially at that price.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttpshot
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Swat is awesome. Large sweet spot, light, controllable speed, comfy grip and very affordable. I certainly like it better than Korbel. Lots of advanced players use it here in Japan.
Great explanation. It's price to performance ratio makes a lot of sense. I may have to try one for myself.

says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
Thanks for all the goo info. How do you compare swat vs victas dyna 7?