Why no reverse modern defenders?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I am curious why all the so-called modern defenders typically use inverted on their forehand and counter/loop on that side, and use long pips/short pips and chop on the backhand. Since forehand offensive shots are more powerful/more spinny due to biomechanics of the forehand side, I would suspect forehand chops, especially with long pips, could be exceptionally spinny and effective. Couple that with an Appelgren/Kreanga type backhand, and that would seem to be a possibly effective style, yet no top level chopper plays that way. For an offensive weapon, could certainly flip if needed, as Filus does occasionally to drive backhands with his inverted.

Also curious that no high level chopper is left handed. Is there some disadvantage there, too? Left handed attackers certainly seem to have an advantage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
A left handed chopper would have advantage too, just none. I play that style as an amateur close to table pushblocker chopper.

A left handed chopper would have difficulty against right handed attacks. Because of the side spin that would be produced by a lefty's backhand chop, it is easier for a righty to continuously attack the backhand, which would be a huge issue for the chopper. At least that's my two cents.

I am curious why all the so-called modern defenders typically use inverted on their forehand and counter/loop on that side, and use long pips/short pips and chop on the backhand. Since forehand offensive shots are more powerful/more spinny due to biomechanics of the forehand side, I would suspect forehand chops, especially with long pips, could be exceptionally spinny and effective. Couple that with an Appelgren/Kreanga type backhand, and that would seem to be a possibly effective style, yet no top level chopper plays that way. For an offensive weapon, could certainly flip if needed, as Filus does occasionally to drive backhands with his inverted.

Also curious that no high level chopper is left handed. Is there some disadvantage there, too? Left handed attackers certainly seem to have an advantage.

There actually is one defender that plays like this. I think Yumeno Soma from Japan plays with pips on her forehand. However, I suspect this style isnt more popular because of the nature of the forehand and backhand chops. Most choppers try to keep the ball in front of them when chopping with the bh, this allows the chopper to control how the pips contact the ball, leading to a higher quality chop. If the pips were on the fh, the chopper would have a difficult time controlling the chop as they tend to take the stroke from the side of their body. This is actually a weakness of Soma, as players continuously play to her fh to wait for a weaker ball to kill.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
A left handed chopper would have difficulty against right handed attacks. Because of the side spin that would be produced by a lefty's backhand chop, it is easier for a righty to continuously attack the backhand, which would be a huge issue for the chopper. At least that's my two cents.]

I can either block or chop almost any right hand 4h attack to my bh. I am just am amateur.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
A left handed chopper would have difficulty against right handed attacks. Because of the side spin that would be produced by a lefty's backhand chop, it is easier for a righty to continuously attack the backhand, which would be a huge issue for the chopper. At least that's my two cents.

There actually is one defender that plays like this. I think Yumeno Soma from Japan plays with pips on her forehand. However, I suspect this style isnt more popular because of the nature of the forehand and backhand chops. Most choppers try to keep the ball in front of them when chopping with the bh, this allows the chopper to control how the pips contact the ball, leading to a higher quality chop. If the pips were on the fh, the chopper would have a difficult time controlling the chop as they tend to take the stroke from the side of their body. This is actually a weakness of Soma, as players continuously play to her fh to wait for a weaker ball to kill.

I watched some videos of Soma's- she chops everything, with inverted on backhand and pips of some type on the forehand. I'll think about the nature of backhand chops being in front, but I still think chopping with pips on the forehand would be ultra spinny, and countering/fishing on the backhand would be viable, but perhaps not, as I don't see it.