Which are the best pro players to watch?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I play penhold so I largely only like watching penholders play. I mean I'll watch say a final between two great players but by and large, it's penhold only.

So:
#1 - Xu Xin
#2 tied with everybody else.
He Zhi Wen, Wong Chun Ting, Zheng Peifeng, Xue Fei and a little bit of Koki Niwa just because he's so darn creative.

This user has no status.
I enjoy XX the most. So much entertainment value and he's just a unique player and has the athleticism no one else has. I recently started to like Simon Gauzy more due to his versatility (chopping, lobbing, strong counterattack) and he does not hesitate to dive. Just a fun player to watch really.

Woman's side, I guess SYS takes the cake for me because of her sheer power and consistency.

Lots of great names but where are the ladies (apart from Bernie Szocs). Surely there is a couple of women players you would pay to see play?

WMY for me, mostly because it's like watching someone playing with the mentality of the men's game vs the women's game.

says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
Deng Yaping - full of energy, one of the best player of all time

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
I think watching ZJ ,Dima, Calderano, and Lin Yun Ju provides both good technique to analyse and also pleasure to watch. No argue that Ma Long is the best, but if you're looking for something new, you may find that in one of the mentioned players.
Also, I don't know anything about women's gameplay. That's why I didn't comment about them.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
bias due to being a jpenholder myself, the top jpen players (RSM, KTS, etc.)

xu xin is a given haha

for shakehand players, i like wang chuqin's style a lot

on the women's side, liu shiwen, miu hirano and hina hayata

I see from your equipment for the black side you have put "none lol". As a Jpen player do you never have the need to use backhand. You must need to cover a lot of distance or can you play on the backhand side using your forehand?

p.s. why does this forum use red and black side in the personal details when some people use red on forehand and some black and some the other way round. It is confusing to see what people use on each wing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I see from your equipment for the black side you have put "none lol". As a Jpen player do you never have the need to use backhand. You must need to cover a lot of distance or can you play on the backhand side using your forehand?

p.s. why does this forum use red and black side in the personal details when some people use red on forehand and some black and some the other way round. It is confusing to see what people use on each wing.

Do you really not know how traditional penhold works? That in traditional penhold, you would use the same side for both FH and BH.

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019

actually i do use my backhand a lot lol

as carl explained, i use traditional penhold backhand and just as you and him mentioned, i can play backhand using my forehand

i didnt go rpb because TPB feels more natural to me but i had thoughts of experimenting with it in the future

also i dont think that the colours of forehand and backhand rubber matter much (in context of the forum) since its safe to assume that people in general use black for forehand and red for backhand

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
also i dont think that the colours of forehand and backhand rubber matter much (in context of the forum) since its safe to assume that people in general use black for forehand and red for backhand

I am also not so sure that is something safe to assume. I do use the black rubber for my FH and there is a reason why I do. But I know a lot of people who do the opposite. And it is worth noting that when you fill out the details of your equipment, on your profile, when you fill in a response to "My Forehand Rubber" it will show that rubber with a red rubber. And when you fill in the one that says "My Backhand Rubber" that will be shown with a black rubber. So, whoever wrote that software has assumed the opposite.

Some choose red for FH. Some choose black for FH. When I was a kid in the 1970s, in my area of the world there was a myth that the red rubbers were better and faster and that was why they went on FH. About 15 years ago I heard this rumor that with Chinese rubbers the Black rubber is better and gets more spin and that is why it goes on the FH.

I think at one point the second piece of info was true. But I think any TT company can make the red and the black rubbers identical if they want.

But I am comfortable saying that some people use red for FH and some use black and it is worth not assuming anything. :)

Aug 2019
I am also not so sure that is something safe to assume. I do use the black rubber for my FH and there is a reason why I do. But I know a lot of people who do the opposite. And it is worth noting that when you fill out the details of your equipment, on your profile, when you fill in a response to "My Forehand Rubber" it will show that rubber with a red rubber. And when you fill in the one that says "My Backhand Rubber" that will be shown with a black rubber. So, whoever wrote that software has assumed the opposite.

Some choose red for FH. Some choose black for FH. When I was a kid in the 1970s, in my area of the world there was a myth that the red rubbers were better and faster and that was why they went on FH. About 15 years ago I heard this rumor that with Chinese rubbers the Black rubber is better and gets more spin and that is why it goes on the FH.

I think at one point the second piece of info was true. But I think any TT company can make the red and the black rubbers identical if they want.

But I am comfortable saying that some people use red for FH and some use black and it is worth not assuming anything. :)

ooh, i see

good points there, guess i forgot the classic old man's saying; "assume makes an ass out of u and me" :p

also to keep the topic on track, i forgot to mention that i really enjoy watching seo hyowon play

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think, watching good matchups with players who are at a semi-pro level, in person, is a really valuable experience. Guys who are anywhere between 2300-2700 (USATT rated) is really valuable especially if it is two players who match up well together.

When you watch in person, up close, and it is a good battle, it is always eye opening. I would take that over watching video any day. Although, watching video footage is still good. It is just that nothing comes close to being there in a club setting where you are right behind the barricades (if there are any, lol).

I feel fortunate that, at SPiN when it first started, I would get to watch guys like Michael Landers, Damien Provost, Ernesto Ebuen, Alex Perez, Paul David, Can Wang (Kevin Wang), Wu Yue, Dora Kurimay, Tahl Leibovitz, and a whole host of others doing battle on a regular basis. Those guys are not top level. But they are all darn good. And seeing the action right there, in person, is worthwhile.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
I like Samsonov and Timo Boll because they are old but still play at their best.
From Asia, i like Lin Yun Ju because he respect his opponent by try not to screaming his opponent...
His equipment also very latest technology using Zhang Jike super ZLC, Dignics and T05Hard. I know his technique level by see his equipment.
Xu Xin is an entertainment artist, just same like Koki Niwa, Simon Gauzy, Zhangjike,etc.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk