Which are the best pro players to watch?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Which players do you like to watch live or on tv? I like matches with players like Timo Boll for his allround skill, Koki Niwa for weird unexpected shots and modern defenders like Ruwen Filus for their ability to change defence into attack. On the ladies side there is no doubt that Bernadette Szocs has brought much needed glamour into the sport but I have a strange attraction to Ding Ning for her never give up style.

On the other hand I dislike players who stamp their feet when they serve and scream after winning a point particularly when it is from an opponents error. It is important to remember that we need table tennis to be watched by the public, not just enthusiasts, so characters and exciting players should be encouraged. Just look at snooker- the players used to be characters, often smoking and drinking between shots and crying or arguing with each other. Now the players have fantastic skill but are like robots and the sport is less fun to watch.

Do you think the result is the only thing that matters or should we encourage characters who are exciting and fun to watch?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Which players do you like to watch live or on tv?

I think many players bring something to the table.

Samsonov plays with pretty much unparalled elegance, also fairness (ultra correct services).

Ma Long is just so complete.

Then I also like Ionescu, almost every shot open fire like there is no tomorrow.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Joo Sae Hyuk vs attacking players...

NO ONE gets crowds to their feet and in an ABSOLUTE FRENZY like Joo does... NO ONE.

Look at the oohs and aahs when Ma Long or FZD plays... then look at Joo… 10x the excitement felt and expressed in the crowds.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any time you can get to see a few semi-pro players play a match in person, that is worth it. It doesn't matter the level. Two well matched players who are 2400 is fun to watch. If they are 2600 it will also be fun to watch. 2700 fun to watch.

By seeing a lot of different players you will learn more than if you just watch a few players.

And everyone in the top 300 is great to watch as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
In addition to the wonderful players of our time, there is also the star Jan-Ove Waldner. his game captivates with its elegance, accuracy and unpredictability.

Reactions: Simas
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Out of curiosity, do we know which rubber he's complaining about :D ?

With the setup below as of Feb, 2019, though some say he changed to D05 a few days ago.

Why I not change rubber?

R543CFL.png

From day 1 of Czech Open 2019, different colors on FH(T05?) and BH(D05?). Click for original size.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustANoob
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Personally i think it is more about who suits your playing style the most. Since i use short pimple i watch alot of these players

Ofcourse We can watch other good stuff from other players, But think it gives alot to see how players with your kind of play plays.