How to deal with deep pushes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hey guys so I have a problem. Whenever I play I have problem with deep pushes. If someone pushes on the backhand side then I also push it back. Since I am a Forehand Dominant player, whenever I try to topspin it the ball goes in the net. Can you please tell me how can topspin this ball properly.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Spin it. Get low, use your hips to power a fast BH swing, lifting the ball by brushing it (matching and overriding the existing backspin).

Get your feet in place first. Choose a position; you might take the ball later (on the descend) at first, until you're sufficiently able to read the incoming spin and get the timing in order to pick it up on the rise.

This is not as easy as it sounds, it requires practice. Keep doing it, and it will come.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well rest assured you're not the 1st person to ever deal with trying to learn the backhand open up. It's just a skill you'll need to learn. No worries.

1st off, the best practice you can probably do is is have a mate at club practice this with you. You can read all the technique tips you want, but until you practice it over & over, none of these tips will help.

Serve to your buddy backspin. Have him push deep to your backhand. Open up. Over & over. You'll get it.
Or if you have a table tennis robot at home. Just have it constantly feed backspin to your backhand.

I'm guessing your ball coming off your backhand is too flat and thus into the net. It's not hat you don't know how to loop backspin. You probably can do it no problem with your forehand. It's just that you're aiming too flat or too fast.

I have what I call a power loop & soft loop. Power loops are more fast and more point enders. But there are a ton of times where i have to soft loop. Whether it be on your weaker side or if the ball is too low or vs service return, there are times when you want a nice safe, high arching curved ball, slow & spiny over the net. Believe it or not, this ball can be hard for opponents to sometimes block on the table because of the spin.

So try this. 1st loop that backspin ball with your backhand and try to clear the net by a good foot or two. i'm talking make it look like a rainbow. That ball should be nowhere near the net at all. That's an exaggerated version of what I'd call a soft loop. A great shot to have in your bag when you need it... Not everything we shoot in TT are bullet highlight winners.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
So guys I am a Forehand Dominant player so can please tell me is it the same way for the forehand side as well or is there any other method. Most of the time I push the deep ball if it comes to the backhand side since I haven't properly learned the backhand topspin from my coach. If a backhand ball comes I either push it or I do Backhand Drive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So guys I am a Forehand Dominant player so can please tell me is it the same way for the forehand side as well or is there any other method. Most of the time I push the deep ball if it comes to the backhand side since I haven't properly learned the backhand topspin from my coach. If a backhand ball comes I either push it or I do Backhand Drive

The concept of forehand dominant and backhand dominant is outdated other than for describing footwork issues or bad strokes. You just need to learn to perform all the strokes competently and stop branding yourself based on how your TT developed. All the top players have good forehand and backhand and footwork. That is what we all want even if we prefer to score points with certain plays or opponents prefer to get points from us in certain ways.

Seems to me that you just need to develop a weapon that you do not have - your bh. You said it yourself you only push back in the bh. When you lack the strokes, your choices of returns also decreases.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
When you are in position, who care how heavy the backspin is, just loop it however you want. A sudden fast deep push usually means you are out of position, and you have to mostly use arm and wrist. Still, you have two ways to loop.

1. Loop drive. The key is to overcome your fear, counter your intuition to brush up, instead, put more power on forward motion. That is, quickly engage and pin the ball on the rubber with a powerful forward swing, and then a brush up a little to lift it. You need more power in forward than your normal loop drive.

2. High loop. Twist your wrist as soon as you hit the ball and move your arm more upward than forward.

Basically, you counter the backspin either with speed (loop drive) or with spin(high loop). Even if you are out of position, your arm and wrist should have plenty power to return it. If you used a lot of power, but the ball still went in the net, you either did not move forward enough, or did not use wrist enough.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hey guys so I have a problem. Whenever I play I have problem with deep pushes. If someone pushes on the backhand side then I also push it back. Since I am a Forehand Dominant player, whenever I try to topspin it the ball goes in the net. Can you please tell me how can topspin this ball properly.
hi aritra
you dont make it clear whether its yr bh or fh which is going in the net, or both!
either way ensure that you take the ball at the same height each time. also analyse the situation- the ball is going in the net (problem 1 )not off the end (problem 2). so sacrifice speed for increased lift and height over the net until you have solved problem 1 in doing this probably learning to relax and acelerate your arm better. also try to visualise the height you need to clear the net and understand that if try to give too much speed to a low deep push you will not achieve the height necessary..
Try to notice if yr topspin lands deep (it wont if too low)

good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hi
if you want to call yrself fh dominant then you should be able to STEP AROUND AND OPEN WITH YR FH.
Its either that or develop a BH topspin opener.
You should also learn to vary the spin and length of your pushes prior to opening . Maybe. learn the strawberry.
In the end you must learn to open consistently whether BH or FH.
until you do learn to push and allow the the opponent to open so that you can reply with effective blocks and counters.
Many players feel they have no chance if they are not getting in the BIG Topspin, but the block and counter can work very well

Good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Anticipation, anticipation and anticipation.

You need to learn to create opportunity from the deep push. I also play FH all over the place. I personally find the following two strategies work when the opponent push deep to my BH when I don't have time to loop:

1. Gentle push to the FH side (assuming the opponent is right-handed). I push very short, very gently with only a tiny bit of backspin. He will have to move to his FH side. Naturally he will push to my FH side. There is your opportunity.
  2. Push back long to his BH side. Side step and get ready to loop as he will likely push long back to your BH side.

Reactions: Wrighty67 and Lazer
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi
if you want to call yrself fh dominant then you should be able to STEP AROUND AND OPEN WITH YR FH.
Its either that or develop a BH topspin opener.
You should also learn to vary the spin and length of your pushes prior to opening . Maybe. learn the strawberry.
In the end you must learn to open consistently whether BH or FH.
until you do learn to push and allow the the opponent to open so that you can reply with effective blocks and counters.
Many players feel they have no chance if they are not getting in the BIG Topspin, but the block and counter can work very well

Good luck

What caused you to wake this thread up?

You need to learn to create opportunity from the deep push. I also play FH all over the place. I personally find the following two strategies work when the opponent push deep to my BH when I don't have time to loop:

1. Gentle push to the FH side (assuming the opponent is right-handed). I push very short, very gently with only a tiny bit of backspin. He will have to move to his FH side. Naturally he will push to my FH side. There is your opportunity.
  2. Push back long to his BH side. Side step and get ready to loop as he will likely push long back to your BH side.
The OP of this thread has not made a post since August of 2019. :)

Reactions: Aizen

This is the way to to it. Wait for a high push then attack.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Wrighty67