Xiom Ice Cream AZXi vs Butterfly Viscaria FL

The ALL-play performance of player+rubbers+blade depend mostly on plater's expertise, after that on rubbers characteristics and just then on the blade. Some blades, although in OFF or OFF+ category, with propper rubbers and in propper hands may prove very All capable. But all these depend mostly on the player feeling with the particular blade+rubbers combo. Fpr one Viscaria would be better, for another player - the AZXi. For me its the Vega Tour blade.
There is not only one answer.

Reactions: lodro and maddytt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
I've had the Viscaria longer than the AZXi. But I found the AZXi to be a bit slower in comparison to the Viscaria. I have tried the same 2 rubber combinations on both to eliminate that variable. Combinations of both tensors and tacky rubbers were used. I found tacky rubbers were especially slow on the AZXi compared to the Viscaria; I have used Nittaku H3 OS, H3 neo & nat BS. I'm still trying to figure out my perfect blade/rubber combinations after an 8 year break from the game. I have been playing again for the last 2 years, and I'm still not 100% comfortable with my current setup. It could also be FOMO because the blade/rubber market & variety of products is overwhelming! So I'm still experimenting, and trying to figure out what suits my style.

I found because the Viscaria's first two layers are Koto, then ALC it's physically a lot harder layer than the limba, 3rd layer composite of the AZXi. I used to have an acoustic (limba outer all wood blade), but found that too slow as well for my looping style. Or maybe I just got used to the hardness of Viscaria?
I've also read (on a similar forum) that some people can be are more sensitive to the feeling produced by koto or limba.

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
I don't have the AZXi, but I have the AZX and the Viscaria. I can say from my experience, the AZX is much faster than my Viscaria. The AZX is fun to play with bc of the speed and directness, but it's also much harder to keep it on the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
I don't have the AZXi, but I have the AZX and the Viscaria. I can say from my experience, the AZX is much faster than my Viscaria. The AZX is fun to play with bc of the speed and directness, but it's also much harder to keep it on the table.

Hmm. Interesting I have definitely heard other people say the same thing about the AZX being faster than the viscaria. Even though they have a similar composition in the first 2 layers (koto/carbon). I guess the ZLC and ALC combo in the AZX influence each other. I might have to give the AZX a shot with the slower rubbers I didn't enjoy on the Viscaria or AZXi.

What rubber combos have you tried on the AZX, and what rubbers are on your Viscaria? What are you using now/what is your main set-up and why?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Xiom tends to build a lot of really fast blades in my experience.

Reactions: Glen20
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020

Hmm. Interesting I have definitely heard other people say the same thing about the AZX being faster than the viscaria. Even though they have a similar composition in the first 2 layers (koto/carbon). I guess the ZLC and ALC combo in the AZX influence each other. I might have to give the AZX a shot with the slower rubbers I didn't enjoy on the Viscaria or AZXi.

What rubber combos have you tried on the AZX, and what rubbers are on your Viscaria? What are you using now/what is your main set-up and why?

I have Tenergy 05 on both sides of the AZX. I think that if I used a slower rubber like Dignics 09C with the AZX it would probably be better. However, I stopped using the AZX so I haven't really gotten around to trying it with different rubbers. I didn't want to waste money trying all these different rubbers on a paddle that I wasn't going to use. I have two Viscarias. One with 09c on both sides and one with Tenergy 19 on both sides. I usually use those as my main paddles now.

Reactions: Glen20
Azxi is about 1 or 2 levels faster than viscaria

Question.Do you mean 1 or 2 levels faster on all strokes? For example,if in a BH to BH exchange close / mid distance ,do you find the AZXi faster even with those shorter strokes or is it that youre refering to longer strokes where the inner carbon can he engaged? Interested to know.

Question.Do you mean 1 or 2 levels faster on all strokes? For example,if in a BH to BH exchange close / mid distance ,do you find the AZXi faster even with those shorter strokes or is it that youre refering to longer strokes where the inner carbon can he engaged? Interested to know.

Hello ppl.Any comments on this?

This user has no status.
I've had the Viscaria longer than the AZXi. But I found the AZXi to be a bit slower in comparison to the Viscaria. I have tried the same 2 rubber combinations on both to eliminate that variable. Combinations of both tensors and tacky rubbers were used. I found tacky rubbers were especially slow on the AZXi compared to the Viscaria; I have used Nittaku H3 OS, H3 neo & nat BS. I'm still trying to figure out my perfect blade/rubber combinations after an 8 year break from the game. I have been playing again for the last 2 years, and I'm still not 100% comfortable with my current setup. It could also be FOMO because the blade/rubber market & variety of products is overwhelming! So I'm still experimenting, and trying to figure out what suits my style.

I found because the Viscaria's first two layers are Koto, then ALC it's physically a lot harder layer than the limba, 3rd layer composite of the AZXi. I used to have an acoustic (limba outer all wood blade), but found that too slow as well for my looping style. Or maybe I just got used to the hardness of Viscaria?
I've also read (on a similar forum) that some people can be are more sensitive to the feeling produced by koto or limba.

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

Hi Glen.
I'm using AZXi for 14 months. My current rubbers are Tibhar MX-D on forehand and Tibhar MX-S on backhand. I've tried several combination of rubbers and think AZXi is not as fast as I would like. My current rubbers are very fast, but the arrangement is 192 grams. It's a bit heavy.
So, I'm thinking of getting a Viscaria, which is koto in the first layers of each side, and outer composite. Viscaria must be quite faster than AZXi, because of the materials and position if the composite.
Another option is getting an AZX blade.
And use a lighter rubber for the backhand, such as Xiom Omega VII EURO, which us a very nice rubber.
What do you think?
Greetings from Lima.