Japanese League - T.League 2019/2020

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I am not sure if Mizutani has some injury (there is some plaster on his neck) but he is playing worse and worse. In that shape him and Koki I do not know if Japan has any chance to get any men team medal in Tokyo.

yes at the moment Korea and Germany are above Japan, I would say even a few other countries. Sweden, Portugal, perhaps Taipei and some others. Mizutani has to find a way to improve his eyesight. I still think he could be competitive, a good WR10-20 if he had no eyesight problem. His footwork is slower with age, but he is still strong in serve/receive

As for Niwa, nobody can predict how he will play...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
yes at the moment Korea and Germany are above Japan, I would say even a few other countries. Sweden, Portugal, perhaps Taipei and some others. Mizutani has to find a way to improve his eyesight. I still think he could be competitive, a good WR10-20 if he had no eyesight problem. His footwork is slower with age, but he is still strong in serve/receive

As for Niwa, nobody can predict how he will play...

It is really hard for me to watch mizutani since I am his fan. Does not matter the score if he wins or looses his game is getting worse and worse, he came back to his old habit of playing passive where he was loosing badly to lower ranked players. I am not sure if changing coach was a good idea. I understand he tried to find something new but it does not help.
I am really not sure if it is eye problem (could be also) but if you are winning easily with lower ranked players and then start playing passive and let the come back ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new.

I'm a film maker and recently made a short film about Chunli Li, from New Zealand. She talked about her time playing in japanese pro leagues in the 1980s. I'm going to be in Tokyo for the first time next month and would love to watch a pro league event but can't find any information or schedule anywhere.

Could somebody please point me in the direction of some good table tennis to marvel at in Tokyo?

Sorry again if this is a dumb question.

Thank you!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Hi all,

I'm a film maker and recently made a short film about Chunli Li, from New Zealand. She talked about her time playing in japanese pro leagues in the 1980s. I'm going to be in Tokyo for the first time next month and would love to watch a pro league event but can't find any information or schedule anywhere.

Could somebody please point me in the direction of some good table tennis to marvel at in Tokyo?

Thank you!

Hi Madmanchap. There are two senior leagues in Japan. One is T league (Pro league, est. 2018), another one is Japan Table Tennis League (corporate owned teams, Li used to play in it).

Schedule and venues of the T league for Dec (https://tleague.jp/match/?season=2019&month=201912&mw=):

12/4 Saitama
12/5 Saitama
12/6 Okayama
12/7 Okayama, Kaizuka, Nagoya
12/8 Okayama, Kaizuka, Nagoya
12/27 Nagoya
12/28 Okinawa, Tajimi
12/29 Tokyo, Okinawa
12/30 Tokyo

I'm probably going to watch 29th or 30th match as my office is 5 mins from Tachihi Arena.
Please let me know if you're interested.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
the JTTL home page is here
https://www.jttl.gr.jp/

there are still some very good players in JTTL League but T-League level is much higher and there is much higher attendance as well

I went to a JTTL recently, because they play in the same place where I train, the entrance was free, and despite that there were very little people attending

Despite that there were a few very good players (YOSHIDA Kaii, an ex-national champion , TAKAGIWA Taku, YOSHIMURA Kazuhiro; for TOKYO ART) for example

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Anyone know what's going on with Kenta Matsudaira? He was one of my favorite players to watch, but only 10 ITTF matches all year? Is he retiring?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hi all,

Thank you!

Last time i saw ChunLi she was still fighting against Dhalsim

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Anyone know what's going on with Kenta Matsudaira? He was one of my favorite players to watch, but only 10 ITTF matches all year? Is he retiring?

I think he's focusing more on domestic competitions in Japan right now especially the T-League.

He was supposed to play for a Croatian team too (STK Starr) especially for their Champions League matches, but he didn't end up joining the team, at least yet, maybe he will for the 2nd half of the season when he's done with the T-League.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I think he's focusing more on domestic competitions in Japan right now especially the T-League.

He was supposed to play for a Croatian team too (STK Starr) especially for their Champions League matches, but he didn't end up joining the team, at least yet, maybe he will for the 2nd half of the season when he's done with the T-League.

Hmm, seems like a step down for a player of his caliber. IMO Kenta is the quintessential Japanese "Close-to-the-table-fast-attack" player. Much more consistent than Koki Niwa. Is he completely out of luck for the 2020?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hmm, seems like a step down for a player of his caliber. IMO Kenta is the quintessential Japanese "Close-to-the-table-fast-attack" player. Much more consistent than Koki Niwa. Is he completely out of luck for the 2020?

Yea, I'd like to see more of him too, but I can understand if he has other priorities now like being close to home and family etc. I don't think he really as a shot at the JNT for Tokyo 2020 afterall. He's also a flagship player for the T-League and they're pushing to grow the league so they need him around especially when JNT players will prioritize the Pro Tour over league matches (understandably). At least we get to see him play in this fun competition.

I was hoping he'd play for STK Starr as they recently had a Champions League match against French team Hennebont which is not too far from where I live now. I would have totally gone to see him and tried to get a pic and autograph like the fanboy that I am! :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Kenta's performance and motivation has been going downhill. Its a very common problem for players who couldn't make it to be a regular in the A team in Japan when they reach 25+ years as with younger upcoming players, no matter how hard they train it's obvious they won't make it again.

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Harimoto is losing quite a lot of games in T League this season, he played much better in the previous season. It reflects somehow his mediocre world tour results recently and his struggle against Uda and Togami. Not looking good for Olympics.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi

KJA

This user has no status.

KJA

This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Where can i see TT Saitama matches? I want to see Truls Möregårdh. YouTube?