Stretching Rubber because its too small?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
hello,

I got a new blade and i really like it but my rubbers are not covering the entire blade.

Screenshot : https://gyazo.com/99e2e77aac76562b415487deac0d436d

as you can see it is not covered at the right side a little bit, at the top a bit and on the left side theres alot not covered.

I have this glue : https://www.schuett-sport.de/tischtennis/equipment/kleber-und-co./2746/imperial-belagkleber-1000-ml

its fresh glue or idk how its exactly called basically its not allowed in tabletennis anymore.

How can i stretch the rubber so it would fit nicely?

i really dont want to waste another 40€.

If it helps its a evolution MX-P 2.2

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It looks like, previously, the rubber was simply on a blade with a different head shape. I would just ignore it and next time you change rubbers the rubber will be cut to the new blade shape. You don't hit with that part so don't worry about it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I'm really bad at ignoring this kind of stuff. Having a bad glue job, or rubbers misaligned, kind of bothers me.

I had something similar with my spare blade. Boosting really helps, as yogi said. Since I don’t have booster, don't use it, and don't want to buy it, I did the boosting method with kerosene, which I already had. Enough layers just to expand the rubber to cover the blade. It did the trick for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
This sounds almost OCD. If you are really losing sleep, sand the blade smaller to fit the rubber.

As anyone else would suggest, getting a new rubber is much less drastic.

It's actually an easy fix and you don't need booster, I have done it a couple of times. You can stretch the rubber a little bit with a roller when you glue it. I use a large can of hair spray but anything similar or a plastic tube will do the job. Take the rubber off and remove all the dry glue from rubber and blade. Lay the rubber on the blade and figure out which position covers the maximum surface. From the picture it looks like you could move it up a little bit, a small gap at the base is not visible. You might also need to tilt it left or right. Once you figure out the position, you can mark it with masking tape or a pencil.

Apply 2 layers of glue on the rubber and 1 on the blade. Stick the rubber at the base along your markings and keep the rest of the rubber raised or put it down very gently so it doesn't stick. Position the roller at the base and press down and forward gently. Start rolling with small moves in the direction you want to stretch the rubber most, e.g. base to tip, keeping even pressure. Then turn the roller 90°, position it in the middle of the blade and roll in the direction of one edge. Repeat for the other side. Finish by rolling around the edges. Done.

Julian

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
It's actually an easy fix and you don't need booster, I have done it a couple of times. You can stretch the rubber a little bit with a roller when you glue it. I use a large can of hair spray but anything similar or a plastic tube will do the job. Take the rubber off and remove all the dry glue from rubber and blade. Lay the rubber on the blade and figure out which position covers the maximum surface. From the picture it looks like you could move it up a little bit, a small gap at the base is not visible. You might also need to tilt it left or right. Once you figure out the position, you can mark it with masking tape or a pencil.

Apply 2 layers of glue on the rubber and 1 on the blade. Stick the rubber at the base along your markings and keep the rest of the rubber raised or put it down very gently so it doesn't stick. Position the roller at the base and press down and forward gently. Start rolling with small moves in the direction you want to stretch the rubber most, e.g. base to tip, keeping even pressure. Then turn the roller 90°, position it in the middle of the blade and roll in the direction of one edge. Repeat for the other side. Finish by rolling around the edges. Done.

Julian

i will try that.

what i dont exactly understand is what you do with the hair spray/plastic tube

i will try that.

That's how you stretch the rubber. Imagine you were making pizza [emoji487]

Julian

Lol i agree it is probably ocd.

This sounds almost OCD. If you are really losing sleep, sand the blade smaller to fit the rubber.

As anyone else would suggest, getting a new rubber is much less drastic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
i will try that.

just apply some more pressure than usual as you roll the rubber onto the blade. Like JulianTT said, it's exactly the same as rolling dough. Don't be afraid to press hard, the rubber will take it just fine. Good luck :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Watch, starting at 2:51 in that video. I used to use my forearm to roll the rubber onto the blade.

In the video they don't seem to apply much pressure. You could apply more pressure. I always felt, with rolling with my forearm, I could press the rubber onto the blade really well; better than with a roller. But it doesn't matter how you do it. These guys are right. Rolling it on should stretch the rubber enough for what is going on with your rubber.

I stopped pressing the rubbers on that way years ago precisely because it stretches the rubber. And I personally would ignore the rubber not being just so on your blade. I have seen very high level players use rubbers that completely did not fit their blade and they did not care. I also remember back when I would have cared. But at a certain point, you realize that certain things do matter and other things are not so important. :)

And if that is important to you, you should be able to roll/press the rubber on in a way that stretches it to fit the blade better. That may in fact be why it isn't fitting just so right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
How did it go?

If rolling doesn't work, google "glass plate method" of speed gluing. I remember I used to do that with Mark V and get ~4mm extra width. You will likely end up with notable "goosebumps" like surface texture because the pimples are under so much stress.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
How did it go?

If rolling doesn't work, google "glass plate method" of speed gluing. I remember I used to do that with Mark V and get ~4mm extra width. You will likely end up with notable "goosebumps" like surface texture because the pimples are under so much stress.

i totally forgot to answer so thank you.

I had booster which i totally forgotten because i havent used it in more than a year, so i used it and it worked without problems.