USA Adult Ranking Tournaments

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
2nd August 31 September 1
Westchester NY

The USA using politics for one 2020 Olympic member selection, doesn't seem fair.

Men

1 Xin Zhou WR # none
2 Tom Feng WR #650
3 Nikhil Kumar WR #175
4 Gal Alguetti WR # none
5 Jishan Liang WR # none

The Olympic selection changes are not good nor fair. The Americans with the highest world rankings automatically get to go under the new criteria. In the past a player had to be in the top 16 to be automatically selected. Also in the past the world rankings actually meant something. Now, as I pointed out in another post, if you do well regionally and get an invite from the world cup and play the world championships you will be ranked anywhere from 30-70th and still have 4 events to score points in to improve your ranking. I think the ITTF "rankings" name should be changed to "series points championship" as the rankings have little to do with the skill level of the players.

Recently members of the high performance committee resigned over the new changes, so hopefully the selection process will change.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
The Olympic selection changes are not good nor fair. The Americans with the highest world rankings automatically get to go under the new criteria. In the past a player had to be in the top 16 to be automatically selected. Also in the past the world rankings actually meant something. Now, as I pointed out in another post, if you do well regionally and get an invite from the world cup and play the world championships you will be ranked anywhere from 30-70th and still have 4 events to score points in to improve your ranking. I think the ITTF "rankings" name should be changed to "series points championship" as the rankings have little to do with the skill level of the players.

Recently members of the high performance committee resigned over the new changes, so hopefully the selection process will change.

Usatt Hpd resigns

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-T...io-Resigns-as-USATT-High-Performance-Director

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
New director, new broom.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I am surprised by the women results. Here were the seedings.

1 Yue Wu finish 5
2 Lily Zhang finish 3
3 Any Wang finish 2
4 Juan Liu finish 1
5 Crystal Wang finish 4

The only surprise really in my opinion is Lily didn't finish 2nd. Juan Liu was virtually certain to win. She'd never previously lost to any of the players (including Lily) that were part of the RR, and she'd won the last two Westchester tournaments beating 2700 level male players. Amy has been playing very well lately and pushed Lily big time at Nationals, before crumbling the last 3 sets. I guess she got a small measure of redemption by beating Lily this past weekend.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The only surprise really in my opinion is Lily didn't finish 2nd. Juan Liu was virtually certain to win. She'd never previously lost to any of the players (including Lily) that were part of the RR, and she'd won the last two Westchester tournaments beating 2700 level male players. Amy has been playing very well lately and pushed Lily big time at Nationals, before crumbling the last 3 sets. I guess she got a small measure of redemption by beating Lily this past weekend.

I watched the Amy vs Lily match live. Amy pretty much attacked Lily's serves to the point it became a joke to watch. Amy pushed Juan Liu as well in the first 3 games. Her forehand has improved but I am not sure why exactly as the technique still doesn't look right. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera so I couldn't get video.

This user has no status.
2nd Aug 31 - Sept 1 Westchester NY

Women RR

1 Juan Liu WR #523
2 Amy Wang WR #226
3 Lily Zhang WR #55
4 Crystal Wang WR #685
5 Yue Wu WR #33

The USA using politics for one 2020 Olympic member selection, doesn't seem fair.
Yes, and because of this and other issues, there was a huge rebellion from many athletes. As a result, the high performance director (head of national team operations including olympic selection procedures) resigned yesterday. His temporary replacement was one of the main advocates of going back to the old trial system

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I watched the Amy vs Lily match live. Amy pretty much attacked Lily's serves to the point it became a joke to watch. Amy pushed Juan Liu as well in the first 3 games. Her forehand has improved but I am not sure why exactly as the technique still doesn't look right. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera so I couldn't get video.

Yeah i was sitting with you for that match, but Amy just had a very stellar performance throughout the entire weekend. She's number 1 in the world (girls under 18) for a reason.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Yeah i was sitting with you for that match, but Amy just had a very stellar performance throughout the entire weekend. She's number 1 in the world (girls under 18) for a reason.

Unfortunately that reason is mostly that Chinese girls such as Shi Xunyao haven't 5 junior events in the last year (She finoshed 2nd in each of the major events she entered), as evidenced by this: Shi Xunyao

Or Wu Yangchen (2nd or won any junior event she entered): Wu Yangchen

So yes, Amy is very good, and i'm always cheering for her to do well in ITTF events and at home, but there's still a fairly significant gap that exists...

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Unfortunately that reason is mostly that Chinese girls such as Shi Xunyao haven't 5 junior events in the last year (She finoshed 2nd in each of the major events she entered), as evidenced by this: Shi Xunyao

Or Wu Yangchen (2nd or won any junior event she entered): Wu Yangchen

So yes, Amy is very good, and i'm always cheering for her to do well in ITTF events and at home, but there's still a fairly significant gap that exists...

Of course, such a ranking does not necessarily imply that she is THE best in the world, but this obviously puts her in a very elite tier of world-class players

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Of course, such a ranking does not necessarily imply that she is THE best in the world, but this obviously puts her in a very elite tier of world-class players

Exactly. When Kanak was the #1 in the U18 rankings, no one seriously believed he was the best U18 player in the world but it still made it clear he was an elite player and talent.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is also interesting that the USATT made a quazi-mandatory training camp for youth right during the LA Open. Obviously, elite kids who wanted a shot at competing and top-notch prize money got hozed. If you don't go to the camps (at your expense) you have no realistic shot at making the national team. Ditto for the top elite coaches, they also go to these big money events, they got the stick too.

Somebody(s) who determine this system and the camp dates don't seem to like the LA Open.

I am not opposed to Westchester getting USATT to have them host... that is a great club, but the players and coaches got denied a chance for money.

A 2400 player who plays at Westchester (Greg Bartz) flew to LA Open and did very well in LA Open, got large money for finishing second in O40.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Shocking result of the tournament, 2 time Olympian, 5 time US National Women's Singles Champion, Lily Zhang, 3rd Place.
If you watched the US Nationals match between the two, this is not much of a surprise. Amy had Lily dazed and confused at Nationals until Lily's comeback.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you watched the US Nationals match between the two, this is not much of a surprise. Amy had Lily dazed and confused at Nationals until Lily's comeback.

You have to know the poster before responding to such comments. He acts like you don't need to put the results in context to understand them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
You have to know the poster before responding to such comments. He acts like you don't need to put the results in context to understand them.

My comments are based on the facts of a lot of history not the history of one match between the two players when actually they have played a few times with this latest match being the first win for Amy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My comments are based on the facts of a lot of history not the history of one match between the two players when actually they have played a few times with this latest match being the first win for Amy.

Sure. Facts like Amy is young and improving escape you, don't they? Or that she had a 3-1 lead the last time they played as pongfugrasshopper pointed out?

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl