says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
A video has just been shared by youtuber Barrow TTC of Englands Craig Bryant and his famous 'Wiggly Wobbler' as its liked to be called. Barrow TTC give the description of a Wiggly Wobler as:

'A "Wiggly Wobbler" is a deceptive lob stroke. It gives the appearance of putting sidespin on the ball in one direction, but the opposite side spin is actually executed. As a result, the attacking player positions himself or herself for the spin they perceive and not the spin they receive'.

Have you ever done this shot? How good is it!... or even have you ever seen this shot!

wiggly.jpg

Here is the shot the Wiggly Wobbler captured in the video. Barrow TTC player Craig Bryant executing this epic deceptive shot against Giovanni Le Borgne. This shot was captured in the Bristish League Premier Division.

So what do you think? :)

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Haha, did one of those on the morning session today! Was practising topspin rallying, and couldn't reach the ball with my loop.. so decided to go for a crazy spin wobbler, it looked like right spin, but then it hit the table and bounced left! haha :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think practically any top player tries this in a similar situation, but to do it this deceptive is really really tough. Most of the time the opponent will spot the deception, or the ball will be inaccurate because of the super fast motion. This is a perfect example of how to do it right :)

This user has no status.
I remember doing something similar to this with my backhand.. My arm's motion made it look like a (sidespin-)chop towards the opponent's BH, but I just used my wrist for a fast topspin shot deep into the FH.

I assume you play the shot above the table? I can only play wobblers when the ball drops behind the table out of sight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
I assume you play the shot above the table? I can only play wobblers when the ball drops behind the table out of sight.

Nope, under it. It's not as fast as a real topspin shot because it's hard with only your wrist, but it's still surprising if your opponent thinks your doing a chop or lob.

This user has no status.
Nope, under it. It's not as fast as a real topspin shot because it's hard with only your wrist, but it's still surprising if your opponent thinks your doing a chop or lob.

yeah I understand, but I'm not able to get enough topspin on it. The wrist action is to weak. I think it's easier to generate side spin.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I got those a lot over the years I played. Boy, do I really hate them:). Especially when I air swing my shots. Actually, most were not caused by my opponent putting sidespins, they're more of my own fault, not reading the returns, especially playing against long pips and anti.

I usually put massive side spins on my FH & BH, and these people with pips and anti would sky my shots really high with the balls still having the side spins, but in the opposite direction. They didn't put any side spins on it. Sometimes it didn't really work, but when it did, I really looked like an idiot. :)

says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
Nov 2011
I got those a lot over the years I played. Boy, do I really hate them:). Especially when I air swing my shots. Actually, most were not caused by my opponent putting sidespins, they're more of my own fault, not reading the returns, especially playing against long pips and anti.

I usually put massive side spins on my FH & BH, and these people with pips and anti would sky my shots really high with the balls still having the side spins, but in the opposite direction. They didn't put any side spins on it. Sometimes it didn't really work, but when it did, I really looked like an idiot. :)

I feel your pain Azlan!
I don't particularly like to play air table tennis either! My good friend and practice partner is an excellent chopper plays with long pips on his BH and smooth on the FH!
But for me, I air ball lots of his FH shot because he fish my loops likethe chinese chopper Hou Yingchao creating a huge amount of side spin!! just drives me mad!

Last edited: