• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. Top | #1
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,365
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,645 Times in 5,598 Posts

      Chuang Chih-Yuan leaves Team Chinese Taipei

      https://www.ittf.com/2019/09/02/chua...hinese-taipei/

      I hate it when internal politics causes these issues. They finally have a really strong team too.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    2. The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

      Takkyu_wa_inochi (09-04-2019),thomas.pong (09-08-2019)

    3. Top | #2
      netdriver is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Malaysia
      netdriver's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Rorin Jpen
      Forehand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1
      Backhand Rubber none lol

      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Posts
      34
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
      this sucks

      hope they resolve the problem

    4. The Following 3 Users Like netdriver's Post:

      Atas Newton (09-04-2019),Takkyu_wa_inochi (09-04-2019),thomas.pong (09-08-2019)

    5. Top | #3
      Takkyu_wa_inochi is offline
      says Petit Scarabée
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Japan

      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 80
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Spin Art

      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Tokyo
      Posts
      2,715
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 3,058 Times in 1,506 Posts
      unfortunately I think the culprit is CCY.
      I suspect he wants to play singles and not the team event whereas his chances of getting a singles medal are infinitesimal while the team has a real chance of a medal if he is part of it

    6. The Following 2 Users Like Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

      NextLevel (09-04-2019),thomas.pong (09-08-2019)

    7. Top | #4
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,365
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,645 Times in 5,598 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Takkyu_wa_inochi View Post
      unfortunately I think the culprit is CCY.
      I suspect he wants to play singles and not the team event whereas his chances of getting a singles medal are infinitesimal while the team has a real chance of a medal if he is part of it
      Yes, but the event that matters is the Olympics. People need to find the right compromise.

    8. The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

      thomas.pong (09-08-2019)

    9. Top | #5
      RIPPER is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member
      RIPPER's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Ma Lin Extra Offensive
      Forehand Rubber Rakza 9 Yasaka
      Backhand Rubber Rakza 9 Yasaka

      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Posts
      369
      Reviews
      Read 12 Reviews
      Liked 90 Times in 60 Posts
      Sad to see he has regrets, as he said if he chose again he would play at the Paraguay Open and Asian Champs, hopefully things can change for the future.
      Just enjoy it!

    10. Top | #6
      Lermanator is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States
      Lermanator's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Ice Cream AZX i
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Euro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Euro

      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Location
      New York, USA
      Posts
      157
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 56 Times in 35 Posts
      Didn't something like this happen with Feng Tianwei and the Singapore team a few years ago?
      Yakshemash

    11. The Following 3 Users Like Lermanator's Post:

      NextLevel (09-04-2019),Takkyu_wa_inochi (09-04-2019),thomas.pong (09-08-2019)

    12. Top | #7
      daejoons is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Posts
      12
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Lermanator View Post
      Didn't something like this happen with Feng Tianwei and the Singapore team a few years ago?
      Feng Tianwei was ousted from the national team. It wasn't her choice to be let go. Feng and STTA must have come to some sort of an agreement though, as she still continues to represent Singapore in international events.

      Chuang Chih-Yuan's decision seems to be entirely his own from what I can tell.

    13. Top | #8
      apacible is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Singapore


      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Posts
      93
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 213 Times in 80 Posts
      I think Chuang Chih Yuan and the Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association generally have the same goal of winning. However, both disagree on the method in doing that.

      When Chuang said that he planned on only playing in the Paruguay Open and the singles event in the Asian Championship, I don't think it had anything to do with his age or with him being selfish and not wanting to help his team out in the team event. It's just that Chuang really wants to play and win the Paraguay Open. Chuang's WR has been dropping, and it would be very difficult for him to do well in World Tour events since he has to start in the Qualifications, which is filled with under-ranked Chinese players. Looking at the Paraguay Open's entry list, the field isn’t that strong, and Chuang has a great shot a winning and getting 1100 WR points. I also believe Chuang can increase his ranking by playing in the Asian Champs Singles event because there's a limit to the number of Chinese Players that can play, which should make it easier for Chuang to go farther in the tournament compared to the World Tours. This would not only increase Chuang's WR but will also help Taiwan's Team ranking increase in time for the 2020 World Team Championships and the Olympics.

      You may all be wondering, why can't Chuang just play Paruguay Open and both the Team and Singles events in the Asian Champs? Unfortunately, he can't do that. The Paruguay Open ends on Sept. 14 at 5pm Paraguay Time, which is equivalent to Sept. 15, 4am Indonesia Time. The Team event of the Asian Champs start 12nn on Sept. 15, so there's just no way that Chuang can fly to Indonesia from Paraguay and adjust to jet lag in time for the Team Event. However, Chuang can make it to the singles event, which will only start on September 19, and this was his plan. This is the exact same reason why Ito and Hayata are not entered in the Asian Champs. Both originally planned to play in the Paraguay Open for WR points, but this meant foregoing the Asian Champs due to schedule and time zone differences.

      The Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association wants Chuang to play the team event in the Asian Champs. I can understand its point of view since Taiwan has a great chance for a Silver Medal (and maybe even Gold if they get lucky) in the Team Event given Lin Yun-Ju's rise. However, that would mean Chuang skipping the Paruguay Open for some "easy" ranking points. This would negatively affect Chuang's WR points and could hurt Taiwan's seeding next year in the team competitions.

      In essence, Chuang's goal is more long term, which is the Olympics and the WTTC 2020. The Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association's goal is more short-term, which is at least a Silver Medal in the Team Event of the Asian Champs. It won't be often that an event like the Paruguay Open will happen where a player can get a big reward of WR points in an event with a relatively weaker field of competition, so you can see why Chuang is reluctant to skip it. It also won't be often that a team competition like the Asian Champs will happen where a top contender like Japan doesn't send 2 of its 3 best players in a team event, which is why Taiwan wants to field its best team for the event and is reluctant to let Chuang skip it.

      It's just really unfortunate that it had to end this way. We saw how the emphasis on WR has caused some internal conflicts within the Japanese National Team, and it has now done the same here by creating a conflict between Chuang and Taiwan's Table Tennis Association.
      Last edited by apacible; 09-05-2019 at 05:03 PM.

    14. The Following 7 Users Like apacible's Post:

      Janard (09-06-2019),JesperStef (09-05-2019),matzreenzi (09-05-2019),NextLevel (09-05-2019),quanghuysk (09-06-2019),Tempest/Comet (09-05-2019),thomas.pong (09-08-2019)

    15. Top | #9
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,365
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,645 Times in 5,598 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by apacible View Post
      I think Chuang Chih Yuan and the Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association generally have the same goal of winning. However, both disagree on the method in doing that.

      When Chuang said that he planned on only playing in the Paruguay Open and the singles event in the Asian Championship, I don't think it had anything to do with his age or with him being selfish and not wanting to help his team out in the team event. It's just that Chuang really wants to play and win the Paraguay Open. Chuang's WR has been dropping, and it would be very difficult for him to do well in World Tour events since he has to start in the Qualifications, which is filled with under-ranked Chinese players. Looking at the Paraguay Open's entry list, the field isn’t that strong, and Chuang has a great shot a winning and getting 1100 WR points. I also believe Chuang can increase his ranking by playing in the Asian Champs Singles event because there's a limit to the number of Chinese Players that can play, which should make it easier for Chuang to go farther in the tournament compared to the World Tours. This would not only increase Chuang's WR but will also help Taiwan's Team ranking increase in time for the 2020 World Team Championships and the Olympics.

      You may all be wondering, why can't Chuang just play Paruguay Open and both the Team and Singles events in the Asian Champs? Unfortunately, he can't do that. The Paruguay Open ends on Sept. 14 at 5pm Paraguay Time, which is equivalent to Sept. 15, 4am Indonesia Time. The Team event of the Asian Champs start 12nn on Sept. 15, so there's just no way that Chuang can fly to Indonesia from Paraguay and adjust to jet lag in time for the Team Event. However, Chuang can make it to the singles event, which will only start on September 19, and this was his plan. This is the exact same reason why Ito and Hayata are not entered in the Asian Champs. Both originally planned to play in the Paraguay Open for WR points, but this meant foregoing the Asian Champs due to schedule and time zone differences.

      The Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association wants Chuang to play the team event in the Asian Champs. I can understand its point of view since Taiwan has a great chance for a Silver Medal (and maybe even Gold if they get lucky) in the Team Event given Lin Yun-Ju's rise. However, that would mean Chuang skipping the Paruguay Open for some "easy" ranking points. This would negatively affect Chuang's WR points and could hurt Taiwan's seeding next year in the team competitions.

      In essence, Chuang's goal is more long term, which is the Olympics and the WTTC 2020. The Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association's goal is more short-term, which is at least a Silver Medal in the Team Event of the Asian Champs. It won't be often that an event like the Paruguay Open will happen where a player can get a big reward of WR points in an event with a relatively weaker field of competition, so you can see why Chuang is reluctant to skip it. It also won't be often that a team competition like the Asian Champs will happen where a top contender like Japan doesn't send 2 of its 3 best players in a team event, which is why Taiwan wants to field its best team for the event and is reluctant to let Chuang skip it.

      It's just really unfortunate that it had to end this way. We saw how the emphasis on WR has caused some internal conflicts within the Japanese National Team, and it has now done the same here by creating a conflict between Chuang and Taiwan's Table Tennis Association.
      The sad thing is that even without CCY, Chinese Taipei still has a strong enough team to medal. They should really be more willing to think broadly. Chien Chen An is now really strong again.

    16. The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

      thomas.pong (09-08-2019)

    17. Top | #10
      Tempest/Comet is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Canada

      Equipment:
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tempest
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Comet C4

      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Posts
      180
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 225 Times in 129 Posts
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	233247D3-B308-4F7B-891D-9C6B8FE835E9.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	19717
      The last comment was the flashpoint. Still, I felt CCY position is sound (not playing Team because of time factor, but willing to participate in singles), however he might have overreacted, putting all in a intractable position and difficult for himself to back down now.

      edit: blurry picture because of reduced resolution, 1 plead for CCY (citing as per @apacible, but promise to rush over for the Singles), 2 abstained, 1 suggested replacement by ranking, 1 against.
      the gist of the last remark “...permitting CCY not to play Team may start a bad precedent for future players to imitate, thus affecting national Team events.”
      Last edited by Tempest/Comet; 09-05-2019 at 07:54 PM.

    18. Top | #11
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,365
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,645 Times in 5,598 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Tempest/Comet View Post
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	233247D3-B308-4F7B-891D-9C6B8FE835E9.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	19717
      The last comment was the flashpoint. Still, I felt CCY position is sound (not playing Team because of time factor, but willing to participate in singles), however he might have overreacted, putting all in a intractable position and difficult for himself to back down now.

      edit: blurry picture because of reduced resolution, 1 plead for CCY (citing as per @apacible, but promise to rush over for the Singles), 2 abstained, 1 suggested replacement by ranking, 1 against.
      the gist of the last remark “...permitting CCY not to play Team may start a bad precedent for future players to imitate, thus affecting national Team events.”
      The idea of precedent is interesting but I guess people don't want to look at the big picture. China does such stuff all the time.

    19. Top | #12
      Janard is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Singapore


      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      569
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 814 Times in 369 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      The sad thing is that even without CCY, Chinese Taipei still has a strong enough team to medal. They should really be more willing to think broadly. Chien Chen An is now really strong again.
      Oh? Apart from Lin and Chen (somewhat), I don't see anyone else?

    20. The Following User Likes Janard's Post:

      Takkyu_wa_inochi (09-06-2019)

    21. Top | #13
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,365
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,645 Times in 5,598 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Janard View Post
      Oh? Apart from Lin and Chen (somewhat), I don't see anyone else?
      That is still enough. You need to strong singles players to win a teams matchup. The third player can lose matches.

      Chen is much stronger than people have noticed, I have been impressed with his backhand improvement.

    22. The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

      thomas.pong (09-08-2019)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP