Chuang Chih-Yuan leaves Team Chinese Taipei

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
unfortunately I think the culprit is CCY.
I suspect he wants to play singles and not the team event whereas his chances of getting a singles medal are infinitesimal while the team has a real chance of a medal if he is part of it

Yes, but the event that matters is the Olympics. People need to find the right compromise.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Didn't something like this happen with Feng Tianwei and the Singapore team a few years ago?

Feng Tianwei was ousted from the national team. It wasn't her choice to be let go. Feng and STTA must have come to some sort of an agreement though, as she still continues to represent Singapore in international events.

Chuang Chih-Yuan's decision seems to be entirely his own from what I can tell.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I think Chuang Chih Yuan and the Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association generally have the same goal of winning. However, both disagree on the method in doing that.

When Chuang said that he planned on only playing in the Paruguay Open and the singles event in the Asian Championship, I don't think it had anything to do with his age or with him being selfish and not wanting to help his team out in the team event. It's just that Chuang really wants to play and win the Paraguay Open. Chuang's WR has been dropping, and it would be very difficult for him to do well in World Tour events since he has to start in the Qualifications, which is filled with under-ranked Chinese players. Looking at the Paraguay Open's entry list, the field isn’t that strong, and Chuang has a great shot a winning and getting 1100 WR points. I also believe Chuang can increase his ranking by playing in the Asian Champs Singles event because there's a limit to the number of Chinese Players that can play, which should make it easier for Chuang to go farther in the tournament compared to the World Tours. This would not only increase Chuang's WR but will also help Taiwan's Team ranking increase in time for the 2020 World Team Championships and the Olympics.

You may all be wondering, why can't Chuang just play Paruguay Open and both the Team and Singles events in the Asian Champs? Unfortunately, he can't do that. The Paruguay Open ends on Sept. 14 at 5pm Paraguay Time, which is equivalent to Sept. 15, 4am Indonesia Time. The Team event of the Asian Champs start 12nn on Sept. 15, so there's just no way that Chuang can fly to Indonesia from Paraguay and adjust to jet lag in time for the Team Event. However, Chuang can make it to the singles event, which will only start on September 19, and this was his plan. This is the exact same reason why Ito and Hayata are not entered in the Asian Champs. Both originally planned to play in the Paraguay Open for WR points, but this meant foregoing the Asian Champs due to schedule and time zone differences.

The Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association wants Chuang to play the team event in the Asian Champs. I can understand its point of view since Taiwan has a great chance for a Silver Medal (and maybe even Gold if they get lucky) in the Team Event given Lin Yun-Ju's rise. However, that would mean Chuang skipping the Paruguay Open for some "easy" ranking points. This would negatively affect Chuang's WR points and could hurt Taiwan's seeding next year in the team competitions.

In essence, Chuang's goal is more long term, which is the Olympics and the WTTC 2020. The Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association's goal is more short-term, which is at least a Silver Medal in the Team Event of the Asian Champs. It won't be often that an event like the Paruguay Open will happen where a player can get a big reward of WR points in an event with a relatively weaker field of competition, so you can see why Chuang is reluctant to skip it. It also won't be often that a team competition like the Asian Champs will happen where a top contender like Japan doesn't send 2 of its 3 best players in a team event, which is why Taiwan wants to field its best team for the event and is reluctant to let Chuang skip it.

It's just really unfortunate that it had to end this way. We saw how the emphasis on WR has caused some internal conflicts within the Japanese National Team, and it has now done the same here by creating a conflict between Chuang and Taiwan's Table Tennis Association.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think Chuang Chih Yuan and the Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association generally have the same goal of winning. However, both disagree on the method in doing that.

When Chuang said that he planned on only playing in the Paruguay Open and the singles event in the Asian Championship, I don't think it had anything to do with his age or with him being selfish and not wanting to help his team out in the team event. It's just that Chuang really wants to play and win the Paraguay Open. Chuang's WR has been dropping, and it would be very difficult for him to do well in World Tour events since he has to start in the Qualifications, which is filled with under-ranked Chinese players. Looking at the Paraguay Open's entry list, the field isn’t that strong, and Chuang has a great shot a winning and getting 1100 WR points. I also believe Chuang can increase his ranking by playing in the Asian Champs Singles event because there's a limit to the number of Chinese Players that can play, which should make it easier for Chuang to go farther in the tournament compared to the World Tours. This would not only increase Chuang's WR but will also help Taiwan's Team ranking increase in time for the 2020 World Team Championships and the Olympics.

You may all be wondering, why can't Chuang just play Paruguay Open and both the Team and Singles events in the Asian Champs? Unfortunately, he can't do that. The Paruguay Open ends on Sept. 14 at 5pm Paraguay Time, which is equivalent to Sept. 15, 4am Indonesia Time. The Team event of the Asian Champs start 12nn on Sept. 15, so there's just no way that Chuang can fly to Indonesia from Paraguay and adjust to jet lag in time for the Team Event. However, Chuang can make it to the singles event, which will only start on September 19, and this was his plan. This is the exact same reason why Ito and Hayata are not entered in the Asian Champs. Both originally planned to play in the Paraguay Open for WR points, but this meant foregoing the Asian Champs due to schedule and time zone differences.

The Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association wants Chuang to play the team event in the Asian Champs. I can understand its point of view since Taiwan has a great chance for a Silver Medal (and maybe even Gold if they get lucky) in the Team Event given Lin Yun-Ju's rise. However, that would mean Chuang skipping the Paruguay Open for some "easy" ranking points. This would negatively affect Chuang's WR points and could hurt Taiwan's seeding next year in the team competitions.

In essence, Chuang's goal is more long term, which is the Olympics and the WTTC 2020. The Chinese Taipei Table Tennis Association's goal is more short-term, which is at least a Silver Medal in the Team Event of the Asian Champs. It won't be often that an event like the Paruguay Open will happen where a player can get a big reward of WR points in an event with a relatively weaker field of competition, so you can see why Chuang is reluctant to skip it. It also won't be often that a team competition like the Asian Champs will happen where a top contender like Japan doesn't send 2 of its 3 best players in a team event, which is why Taiwan wants to field its best team for the event and is reluctant to let Chuang skip it.

It's just really unfortunate that it had to end this way. We saw how the emphasis on WR has caused some internal conflicts within the Japanese National Team, and it has now done the same here by creating a conflict between Chuang and Taiwan's Table Tennis Association.

The sad thing is that even without CCY, Chinese Taipei still has a strong enough team to medal. They should really be more willing to think broadly. Chien Chen An is now really strong again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
233247D3-B308-4F7B-891D-9C6B8FE835E9.jpg
The last comment was the flashpoint. Still, I felt CCY position is sound (not playing Team because of time factor, but willing to participate in singles), however he might have overreacted, putting all in a intractable position and difficult for himself to back down now.

edit: blurry picture because of reduced resolution, 1 plead for CCY (citing as per @apacible, but promise to rush over for the Singles), 2 abstained, 1 suggested replacement by ranking, 1 against.
the gist of the last remark “...permitting CCY not to play Team may start a bad precedent for future players to imitate, thus affecting national Team events.”

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
View attachment 19717
The last comment was the flashpoint. Still, I felt CCY position is sound (not playing Team because of time factor, but willing to participate in singles), however he might have overreacted, putting all in a intractable position and difficult for himself to back down now.

edit: blurry picture because of reduced resolution, 1 plead for CCY (citing as per @apacible, but promise to rush over for the Singles), 2 abstained, 1 suggested replacement by ranking, 1 against.
the gist of the last remark “...permitting CCY not to play Team may start a bad precedent for future players to imitate, thus affecting national Team events.”

The idea of precedent is interesting but I guess people don't want to look at the big picture. China does such stuff all the time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
The sad thing is that even without CCY, Chinese Taipei still has a strong enough team to medal. They should really be more willing to think broadly. Chien Chen An is now really strong again.

Oh? Apart from Lin and Chen (somewhat), I don't see anyone else?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Oh? Apart from Lin and Chen (somewhat), I don't see anyone else?

That is still enough. You need to strong singles players to win a teams matchup. The third player can lose matches.

Chen is much stronger than people have noticed, I have been impressed with his backhand improvement.