Ovtcharov No.1 Senso Blade Review | With Dimitrij Ovtcharov

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
and also hollow handles gives you less feeling ..

Perhaps what you meant is, solid handles feel better. But that is different than saying that solid handles give you more feeling.

Its the opposite. A solid bodied guitar would not resonate and project the sound (vibrations). Think of what an electric guitar sounds like without the amplifier. Just like the hollow space of an acoustic guitar or violin allowing the vibrations to resonate, a hollow space in the handle increases the amount of vibration you can feel because it creates the air space for those vibrations to resonate and amplify. Also, if there is less wood in the same amount of space, that makes it easier to transmit the vibrations. It is easier to move air molecules than wood molecules. It is easier to move wood molecules than carbon molecules. A guitar made out of carbon would not sound good.

But, sometimes a hollow handle means too much vibration. So, a very small hollow space, or a solid handle will not cause you to have the bad feeling parts of the vibrations; only the good. So, a solid handle might feel better. But it will not transmit as much feeling, it will not transmit as much of the vibrations, to your hand.

Last edited:
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
hmmm ... not sure ... never played with this type of open end .... but i feel better top ply when the handle is solid ... i feel the buttery softness of the limba top ... when handle is hollow i feel more the end of the blade and kick in hand ... generally i can feel the vibration of the blade but not the wood . But this is my feeling ..

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Aging is a killer
hmmm ... not sure ... never played with this type of open end .... but i feel better top ply when the handle is solid ... i feel the buttery softness of the limba top ... when handle is hollow i feel more the end of the blade and kick in hand ... generally i can feel the vibration of the blade but not the wood . But this is my feeling ..

I'm just wondering, and ignoring the rules for blades, how would a blade with a hollow centre feel like? Not those drum-like vellum bats from gossima days. But more a core that's cut like a ring or with a trellis pattern in order to maintain strength?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Nice video Dan. I just had to keep adjusting the volume :D

"Oh you saw it, but me too"

I love that Dima is so talkative and passionate about the sport. I don't think that using a different rubber makes him a hypocrite. Obviously the pros have to use the best rubbers out there.

Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
I'm just wondering, and ignoring the rules for blades, how would a blade with a hollow centre feel like? Not those drum-like vellum bats from gossima days. But more a core that's cut like a ring or with a trellis pattern in order to maintain strength?
I`m playing a long time with this idea to make a blade from heavy core, but with many hollow spaces inside , like honeycomb... i have to find time to build it ... i think this could be interesting ... but really hard to do perfect .
and where in the rules is written the blade could not be hollow ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
I love dima passion
And I dont want to be hypocrite too
He use custom outer ply acryl blade, and I made screenshots of his blade from Czech open
But when he talks about one of his 27th blades
it makes me sick

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

This may be the distinction I was making between better feeling, and more feeling. :)

Reactions: bobpuls
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Honeycomb, that's the word I should have used.

About 10 years ago, a guy who ran a club in lower Manhattan brought a few blades back from China that had a core that was not solid. The core was sort of a tick tack toe pattern of wood: crosshatched. The guy was excited that this was the new technology and soon there would be lots of blades like this.

Nobody seemed to like those blades. I cannot fully remember how they felt or why, but nobody seemed to like how they played. My memory was a dull feeling and that the blades were slow and not responsive. But that could have been any number of aspects of how the blade was designed. One thing I know, I never saw another blade like that after. So the company may have come to that same conclusion. :)

Reactions: bobpuls and Tinykin
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any recollection of the brand name?

I do not remember. This guy had connections with Yinhe/Galaxy and DHS. I don't think it was DHS. It may have been Yinhe. But it also may have been a brand that had not gotten off the ground yet. I am even not sure if it had a brand or blade name listed. A lot has happened in that 10 years. I only remembered the blade when you guys started talking about a core like that. And I don't think the blade ever made it to market.

The side view of the blade was pretty interesting. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Dima has read this post. He is playing with this blade in the final (at least the handle)

Enviado do meu SM-G531F através do Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
I do not remember. This guy had connections with Yinhe/Galaxy and DHS. I don't think it was DHS. It may have been Yinhe. But it also may have been a brand that had not gotten off the ground yet. I am even not sure if it had a brand or blade name listed. A lot has happened in that 10 years. I only remembered the blade when you guys started talking about a core like that. And I don't think the blade ever made it to market.

The side view of the blade was pretty interesting. :)

The HRT Bamboo Dragon is a similar design, but you can't see the slots from the side.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
He says he uses the Senso version

It could be nice to know what was the core layer and a bit more about what is specific about this carbon. Otherwise very good review, it's nice to have a pro explains his thought process. When you see that Otcharov and Ma long find that ALC outer are too hard to control, it makes me reconsider what kind of blade I should play at my level :)

I agree with you though you have to remember the quality of the shots they are facing vs the quality we face.

Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
Duplicate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190908-174605.jpg
    Screenshot_20190908-174605.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 449
Last edited: