I find it difficult to adjust to the new 40+ balls after returning

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I find it difficult to adjust to the new 40+ balls after returning to the game. I started with 38mm balls, then to 40mm balls, then now they have these new 40+ balls, which bounce off the table randomly, and is somewhat heavier. It's harder for me to play because I always only spin the ball back with a quick and thin contact. If I do that today from afar the table, the ball goes into the net so easily, as it feels like it's heavier. I am still using my old blade though. How did you guys adjust yourself actually?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Add to your observation that every generation of the plastic ball and every brand play so wildly different from each other.

There are so many players switching to the particular ball a tourney uses a week out it is silly...

Then often you gotta go through so many balls to find one that is t ett ur and round... then can stay that way in a match...

Great majority of players have not yet figured out how to fully cope with the different balls, so keep at it.

Sometimes, it is the lighting of a venue or new tables (more friction) (completely different bounce) affecting outcones...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Gonna go against the grain but I like the newer balls. Yes the variations are more pronounced, but nothing you can't accustom to after some warm up.

What they do exhibit, almost universally is more predictable responses. I can hit harder and with more conviction than with celluloids.

I notice this trend of attacking harder and earlier than before, even amongst female players (China team especially) they are training for more bulk.

If they really did intend to slow down the sport, they failed miserably because everything is MUCH faster.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Actually this part is controversial. The ABS balls don't crack as clearly, but they develop hairline cracks and stress creases that severely alter playing characteristics. This happens after just 1 session.

For the ones that didn't develop cracks, repeat hits on the creased areas feel very different.

Anyways, balls are not expensive compared to everything else about the game.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I agree that it just takes a little time to reprogram your expectations. Things sucked worse in 2015 when the 40+ balls didn't bounce much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
One of the upcoming pro youngster told me he switched to a slightly faster blade ... something you might want to consider..
I find it difficult to adjust to the new 40+ balls after returning to the game. I started with 38mm balls, then to 40mm balls, then now they have these new 40+ balls, which bounce off the table randomly, and is somewhat heavier. It's harder for me to play because I always only spin the ball back with a quick and thin contact. If I do that today from afar the table, the ball goes into the net so easily, as it feels like it's heavier. I am still using my old blade though. How did you guys adjust yourself actually?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
One of the upcoming pro youngster told me he switched to a slightly faster blade ... something you might want to consider..
It is something to consider...

Der_Echte has experienced growth using both old school slower wood stuff and faster modern dynamic stuff.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It took me about 6 months. I didn't need to change equipment but some of my club mates did. I found myself playing ever so slightly closer in. I think the 40+ ball drops slightly sooner. Anyway I dont even think about it now, but it's been five years. Just play. Don't think.