Double hit is legal, right? How about this one??

Was that double hit legal?

• Yes, legal shot..

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • I have no idea..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely illegal!

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Hello everyone, licenced UMPIRES specially!
I have a question - since few years ago, double hit is allowed stroke, so if you hit the ball with the finger then rubber and the ball lands on the table, everything is ok. So the double hit is legal.
But - I got a teammate with like really shaky hands..
And he made unwanted double hit in the match this Tuesday, I would like your opinion on this, was it legal or not? :D
I have a video, the double hit is made at 0:45, so just let me know what you think and why..
Thank you! ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Yup, it was not deliberate. It happens when you hit the ball where your finger is in the blade head.

Yes, it was not deliberate, but it was 2 hits with the rubber ..
Very specific, he wanted to push the ball but the shaky hands made the double hit..
I will have umpire seminar 22nd so I will ask an umpire with blue badge ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Looks legal to me.

Interesting that the player on the far side had a BH kill shot just waiting for him them but opted to not play it where the debate unfolded. I couldn't catch what was decided. Who was awarded the point? Was it replayed? etc.

But looks legal to me. I'd like to think in the moment if I was in that situation, I just would have put that ball away and be done with it. (But I guess attacking on the BH probably isn't in his game with this chopping style. I suppose one of the drawbacks to the style)

Yeah looked legal to me.

Last edited:
That is an example of a double tap but legal. This was taken up years ago when I was having my Basic Umpire's Course and a diferent class when I had my ITTF Course Conductor Seminar.
Yes, it was not deliberate, but it was 2 hits with the rubber ..
Very specific, he wanted to push the ball but the shaky hands made the double hit..
I will have umpire seminar 22nd so I will ask an umpire with blue badge ;-)