How to make blade more headheavy?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have had some trouble that i move the elbow forward, so the power comes from the wrong direction. Trying to work on to get the power from the racket and do not move the elbow. I think this come more naturally if my racket was more headheavy.

How can i make the racket more headheavy?

I am not interested at the moment to change rubbers, blade or modify the blade. I have found that there are edge tape for tabletennis and tennis that make the racket more headheavy. Do anyone have any experience? And how much weigth will be enough difference?

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I have had some trouble that i move the elbow forward, so the power comes from the wrong direction. Trying to work on to get the power from the racket and do not move the elbow. I think this come more naturally if my racket was more headheavy.

I am not interested at the moment to change rubbers, blade or modify the blade. I have found that there are edge tape for tabletennis and tennis that make the racket more headheavy. Do anyone have any experience? And how much weigth will be enough difference?

Thanks.

You could try this:
https://www.ttex.se/sv/kantband/4831-butterfly-viktkantband-powertape-5-x-1-gram.html

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Three things I can suggest to achieve the increase in head heavy you are asking.

1) Add weighted tape to the edge. This product is sold by the big brands. It is kinda like thicker, heavier edge tape. You add 1 to 10 grams this way. Very often, this is enough. This DOES add more weigh and change more than the balance.

2) Remove weight from the handle and add a little weighted power tape. This can keep overall weight similar. You would need to remove the blade handles (a heat gun and much patience helps) and scrape away desired weight from the inside. Often, a blade maker already did this, so you might strike out S.O.L. on that. (SOL means Shyt Outta Luck) Remove grip tape if it is there, that will make it head heavier too.

3) Slide rubbers upwards towards the head a few mm. No further trimming needed if the rubbers shrank... other wise, a little trim needed. This will not be a major effect like the other methods.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
Read 1 reviews
In the old, old days I used to cut a small slot in the edge (tip) of the blade so that I can stick a coin in it. Seal he blade edge with wood filler or wood strip and tape. A US quarter is 6g, a nickel is 4g and a gime is 1.5g. First try tape the coin on the tip of the rubber for feel, then cut the slot after you found the correct weight. A little trial and error should get you the correct head heaviness. But this might not be legal for ITTF but club play should be OK.

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Tennis lead tape works great.

My blade is 7.5mm, 1 layer adds about 8g.

Can't say how much makes a difference. For me anything above 160g stops feeling flimsy so I stop there (single sided penhold). Easy enough to test out yourself.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
BTW, I'm not sure how fast your swing is, but I find weight stops adding power to a certain point.

I don't feel I can smash harder with a 197g setup than I can with a 160g.

I think this is a great suggestion. This was also suggested by a friend of mine.

Tennis lead tape works great.

My blade is 7.5mm, 1 layer adds about 8g.

Can't say how much makes a difference. For me anything above 160g stops feeling flimsy so I stop there (single sided penhold). Easy enough to test out yourself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks for all the good advice. This more like an experiement. I Will try lead tape.

I really Do not want to smash harder just try to get the whole racket heavier and even better more headheavy so the power in the shots, especially forehand comes from the the the indexfinger and racket So i get a swing ans not push the arm forward with the power from my elbow.

But i also Do think that Maybe i can get more power from it being heavier But more because the power comes from the correct direction.

Maybe their Will be a limit for how heavy it can be for backhand.

Have alot to Do rigth now and this is not a priority But when i have Tried edge tape i Will try to rememember to give you n update.

Once again, thanks alot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I have used the weighted tape on some of my blades. Some I just add some weight to the very tip, or 12:00 position. Others, I put some at 10:00 and 2:00, or 8:00 and 4:00, or 8/4 and 12, or all positions. A little goes a long way. I cut the tape into different lengths (in pairs) and used regular edge tape to tape them on. This way, if I wanted to adjust the position it was very easy to peel off and place at a different location.

Good luck....

Thanks.

About two years ago I had a thread about weighted balancing edge tape and I used it to balance the blade for a particular shot. It worked for that shot, but it jeopardized my common play. There are top players who use it on a particular place of the edge, so yes, for some it works well.
If you want just to make the head more heavy, you have to put that tape allaround the edge to keep the blade balanced. Though the blade itself will not become more "massive", and the uneven weight distribution may hinder the feeling and the quality of the shots.
You may put the tape just on the top of the blade and that will add a "whipping" momentum to the strokes, but this may hinder the overall control.
At the end for different players it may work well, or it may not work at all.
Maybe it depends also on the particular kind of grip.
I use very loose grip, changing and tightening it depending on the stroke, it comes unconsciously. I found that precising grip, fingers position and the moment of tightening is much more effective for all kind of strokes, and particularly for smashes the tightening moment can add that "whipping" momentum, which, added to the swing at the right moment, produces the needed extra power. No added uncomfortable weight to the blade.
My personal understanding is that a lighter blade, taped to add weight, can never work as a massive heavy one.
And changing the setup weight you are used to may change your play.
But you may try, who knows, it may work for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think i already have alot of ways to practice using the forearm. I think the video May be about him having the arm to close to the body.

Yes, i am working with grip pressure. But i also think it works the other way around to. If the racket is more heavy i think i naturally Will work more with the fingers to move the racket or atleast try to.

I Do not want a faster racket speed or strike power. I would want to try becaus i think it be a bit more natural to get the power from grip pressure and from the correct direction which is the racket i think and not from moving the elbow if the racket is a bit heavier or and headheavy. Like an easy way to get some extra help in correcting my technique. Then from that i think i Will get higher racket speed and more spin and power in the ball.

I am speculating alot But it would be interesting to try.