• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Results 1 to 14 of 14
    1. Top | #1
      gingertom is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: England
      gingertom's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Yasaka Sweden Extra
      Forehand Rubber Andro Rasanter R37
      Backhand Rubber DHS Gold Arc 8

      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Southampton
      Posts
      2
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Slippery flooring in table tennis

      Hi looking for some advise from other clubs with regards slippery flooring. I have 2 venues in my league which are generally unplayable unless the floor is washed between sets. Still not that safe washed.
      I am looking into alternative ways of making footwear nonslip ie. spraying bat cleaner on soles etc. and possible ways of making the flooring safe without wetting. Any suggestions.
      Also if a player refuses to play on grounds of safety what stance do most leagues take. Do they side with the club or the player?
      Its easy for most committees to bury their heads in the sand as they do not want to lose any clubs from their leagues, but shouldn't player safety be paramount. We have quite a few players in their late sixties and seventies and a fall would be a lot harder for them to recover from. I'm not a health and safety jobsworth just seems to me in table tennis there is not much care provided on the safety side of the game.
      There seems to be no general health and safety guidance on TTE website.
      Any suggestions/information would be most appreciated.
      Thank you.

    2. Top | #2
      Loopadoop is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Gambler carbon
      Forehand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
      Backhand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0

      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Podunk TT City
      Posts
      2,206
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 546 Times in 410 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by gingertom View Post
      Hi looking for some advise from other clubs with regards slippery flooring. I have 2 venues in my league which are generally unplayable unless the floor is washed between sets. Still not that safe washed.
      I am looking into alternative ways of making footwear nonslip ie. spraying bat cleaner on soles etc. and possible ways of making the flooring safe without wetting. Any suggestions.
      Also if a player refuses to play on grounds of safety what stance do most leagues take. Do they side with the club or the player?
      Its easy for most committees to bury their heads in the sand as they do not want to lose any clubs from their leagues, but shouldn't player safety be paramount. We have quite a few players in their late sixties and seventies and a fall would be a lot harder for them to recover from. I'm not a health and safety jobsworth just seems to me in table tennis there is not much care provided on the safety side of the game.
      There seems to be no general health and safety guidance on TTE website.
      Any suggestions/information would be most appreciated.
      Thank you.
      Have a meeting with persons responsible for flooring. Record conversation and have a witness present. Explain to them, if they don't fix the floors. They could be held responsible for criminal negligence, if someone gets hurt.

    3. The Following User Likes Loopadoop's Post:

      JustANoob (09-24-2019)

    4. Top | #3
      Loopadoop is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Gambler carbon
      Forehand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
      Backhand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0

      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Podunk TT City
      Posts
      2,206
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 546 Times in 410 Posts
      Alternative, send a registered letter notorized with witnesses with similar info.

    5. Top | #4
      yoass is online now
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      yoass's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber DHS Gold Arc 8/50
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Tiel, The Netherlands
      Posts
      2,061
      Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 2,011 Times in 1,071 Posts
      Make sure your shoe soles are clean, and put a moist towel next to the table and tread on that every now and then. It might help.

    6. Top | #5
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S; Tmount T540; Xiom Vega Euro
      Forehand Rubber Kokutaku 007 Pro; Hurricane 3; Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega 7 Hyper; Stiga DNA H; Joola Maxxx 500

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      3,417
      Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      Liked 1,639 Times in 1,039 Posts
      Should be that the flooring is not a smooth concrete cement if no rubberized material is availabke because it is expensive. I have been playing in a concrete floor all this years and it is bad for the knees.

    7. Top | #6
      allencorn is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade LKT Instinct
      Forehand Rubber Reflectoid
      Backhand Rubber Dr. Evil

      Join Date
      Nov 2013
      Posts
      149
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 95 Times in 57 Posts
      I saw an ad for these - haven't tried them - but they look really clever.

      http://www.courtgrabbers.com

    8. The Following User Likes allencorn's Post:

      Simas (09-26-2019)

    9. Top | #7
      langel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Bulgaria

      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Vega Tour
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Asia 2.0, Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Asia 2.0, Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0

      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Posts
      1,750
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 825 Times in 574 Posts
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sneakers.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	19810

      These ordinary sneakers are the most unslippery, even on wet concrete.
      The sole material look and feel like that of the lezoline rifones, but strangely is much more firm and safe on slippy surfaces.

    10. Top | #8
      Simas is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Europe
      Simas's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Off Classic Legend
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
      Backhand Rubber Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo

      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      857
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 393 Times in 266 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by allencorn View Post
      I saw an ad for these - haven't tried them - but they look really clever.

      http://www.courtgrabbers.com
      that's out of the box thinking: you lace some pad with a sponge on top to your shoe, add special liquid to the sponge and when you feel that the soles are getting too slippery, you brush your soles on the sponge that is attached on the top of your shoe... how do they think of that?

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-09-26 122155.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	19816

    11. The Following User Likes Simas's Post:

      jammmail (09-27-2019)

    12. Top | #9
      allencorn is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade LKT Instinct
      Forehand Rubber Reflectoid
      Backhand Rubber Dr. Evil

      Join Date
      Nov 2013
      Posts
      149
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 95 Times in 57 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Simas View Post
      that's out of the box thinking: you lace some pad with a sponge on top to your shoe, add special liquid to the sponge and when you feel that the soles are getting too slippery, you brush your soles on the sponge that is attached on the top of your shoe... how do they think of that?

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-09-26 122155.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	19816
      They should sell these at every tournament.

    13. Top | #10
      harry_neil is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Yasaka Gatien Extra
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
      Backhand Rubber 729 Focus III Snipe

      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      4
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
      That may sound silly, but how would you deal with overly grippy floors? Well, it's not quite on topic, still do you have any advice? The issue is that sometimes when trying to make a shuffle step one of my feet "sticks" to the floor which leads to an awkward movement.

    14. Top | #11
      Loopadoop is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Gambler carbon
      Forehand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
      Backhand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0

      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Podunk TT City
      Posts
      2,206
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 546 Times in 410 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by harry_neil View Post
      That may sound silly, but how would you deal with overly grippy floors? Well, it's not quite on topic, still do you have any advice? The issue is that sometimes when trying to make a shuffle step one of my feet "sticks" to the floor which leads to an awkward movement.
      Walk outside in the parking lot should fix thlat.

    15. Top | #12
      bricec is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: France

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Nostalgic Offensive
      Forehand Rubber Stiga Mantra M
      Backhand Rubber Stiga Genesis II M

      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Posts
      108
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 54 Times in 36 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by harry_neil View Post
      That may sound silly, but how would you deal with overly grippy floors? Well, it's not quite on topic, still do you have any advice? The issue is that sometimes when trying to make a shuffle step one of my feet "sticks" to the floor which leads to an awkward movement.
      Not silly at all, it’s equally annoying. A practice partner told me he keeps a pair of used shoes In his bag for that purpose and just switch to those if he notices the floor is particularly grippy during warmup.

    16. Top | #13
      lasta is offline
      says Wa?
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Canada
      lasta's Avatar

      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      411
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 229 Times in 147 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by harry_neil View Post
      That may sound silly, but how would you deal with overly grippy floors? Well, it's not quite on topic, still do you have any advice? The issue is that sometimes when trying to make a shuffle step one of my feet "sticks" to the floor which leads to an awkward movement.
      Hi Harry, can't help with your problem. But I am curious what shoes you are wearing because I have not come across anything that is "too" grippy. I'm always looking for more grip.

    17. Top | #14
      Brs is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Christmas Island


      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      337
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 346 Times in 170 Posts
      I am wearing mizunos on wood parquet flooring over concrete and I have had a couple of ankle injuries from my foot sticking. It happens.

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP