Slippery flooring in table tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hi looking for some advise from other clubs with regards slippery flooring. I have 2 venues in my league which are generally unplayable unless the floor is washed between sets. Still not that safe washed.
I am looking into alternative ways of making footwear nonslip ie. spraying bat cleaner on soles etc. and possible ways of making the flooring safe without wetting. Any suggestions.
Also if a player refuses to play on grounds of safety what stance do most leagues take. Do they side with the club or the player?
Its easy for most committees to bury their heads in the sand as they do not want to lose any clubs from their leagues, but shouldn't player safety be paramount. We have quite a few players in their late sixties and seventies and a fall would be a lot harder for them to recover from. I'm not a health and safety jobsworth just seems to me in table tennis there is not much care provided on the safety side of the game.
There seems to be no general health and safety guidance on TTE website.
Any suggestions/information would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Hi looking for some advise from other clubs with regards slippery flooring. I have 2 venues in my league which are generally unplayable unless the floor is washed between sets. Still not that safe washed.
I am looking into alternative ways of making footwear nonslip ie. spraying bat cleaner on soles etc. and possible ways of making the flooring safe without wetting. Any suggestions.
Also if a player refuses to play on grounds of safety what stance do most leagues take. Do they side with the club or the player?
Its easy for most committees to bury their heads in the sand as they do not want to lose any clubs from their leagues, but shouldn't player safety be paramount. We have quite a few players in their late sixties and seventies and a fall would be a lot harder for them to recover from. I'm not a health and safety jobsworth just seems to me in table tennis there is not much care provided on the safety side of the game.
There seems to be no general health and safety guidance on TTE website.
Any suggestions/information would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

Have a meeting with persons responsible for flooring. Record conversation and have a witness present. Explain to them, if they don't fix the floors. They could be held responsible for criminal negligence, if someone gets hurt.

Reactions: JustANoob
Sneakers.jpg

These ordinary sneakers are the most unslippery, even on wet concrete.
The sole material look and feel like that of the lezoline rifones, but strangely is much more firm and safe on slippy surfaces.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I saw an ad for these - haven't tried them - but they look really clever.

http://www.courtgrabbers.com

that's out of the box thinking: you lace some pad with a sponge on top to your shoe, add special liquid to the sponge and when you feel that the soles are getting too slippery, you brush your soles on the sponge that is attached on the top of your shoe... how do they think of that? :cool:

Annotation 2019-09-26 122155.jpg

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
that's out of the box thinking: you lace some pad with a sponge on top to your shoe, add special liquid to the sponge and when you feel that the soles are getting too slippery, you brush your soles on the sponge that is attached on the top of your shoe... how do they think of that? :cool:

View attachment 19816

They should sell these at every tournament.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
That may sound silly, but how would you deal with overly grippy floors? Well, it's not quite on topic, still do you have any advice? The issue is that sometimes when trying to make a shuffle step one of my feet "sticks" to the floor which leads to an awkward movement.

Walk outside in the parking lot should fix thlat.

This user has no status.
That may sound silly, but how would you deal with overly grippy floors? Well, it's not quite on topic, still do you have any advice? The issue is that sometimes when trying to make a shuffle step one of my feet "sticks" to the floor which leads to an awkward movement.
Not silly at all, it’s equally annoying. A practice partner told me he keeps a pair of used shoes In his bag for that purpose and just switch to those if he notices the floor is particularly grippy during warmup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018

Hi Harry, can't help with your problem. But I am curious what shoes you are wearing because I have not come across anything that is "too" grippy. I'm always looking for more grip.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I am wearing mizunos on wood parquet flooring over concrete and I have had a couple of ankle injuries from my foot sticking. It happens.