Breaking News - Mizutani Exposed for Cheating

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Oh they take scandals that threaten to tarnish the Japanese image quite seriously, specially those that represent Japan on an international level.
08/2018 Jarkarta - Four members of the Japanese men's basketball team were sent home last week from the Asian Games, and had their accreditation stripped by the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) after they were found to have spent a night with women in a Jakarta hotel. "I deeply apologize for our careless actions that have brought disgrace on not only basketball fans but also all Japanese people," Sato told a news conference last week after the four returned to Tokyo.
In Inchon's Asian Games, swimmer Tomita was sent home after admitting to theft. He was fined and banned for 18 months from competitions.

If anything, the attention and the efforts to deflate them will cause distraction from his training. Hope he comes out ok.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Gist of the article:

An acquaintance of Mizutani: "He's a person who doesn't let his emotions show, but he was really gloomy this summer. According to those close to him, Mizutani has been in contact with lawyers and police over his incident.

Mizutani went to this hostess club "X" for the first time in May. Under the constant pressure of being pursued by Harimoto and his eye conditions, he met this Kanna Hashimoto look-alike with that long hair and those big eyes - the root of all evil by the false handle "Emi".

Kanna Hashimoto when she was still a teenager

Emi: "Mizutani said he will retire after Tokyo 2020 and turn to stock investment. He added that Harimoto is a cocky and spoiled brat, that when he retires, Harimoto will grow to become more dependable, that he will become stronger, and as such he won't get in his way and will retire ASAP..."

An acquaintance of Mizutani: "Mizutani's wife is a licensed cook and has been taking care of his nutritional intake. She even flew to Brazil during Rio 2016 and has been supporting his hushand. Mizutani is thankful for that. Mizutani loves her daughter so much, that he once said he wouldn't be able to live on if her daughter ever grows tired of him."

Emi: "This is why I've been so bothered...I wouldn't have met him outside the club if I don't have feelings as well, but I just don't know how to respond to the request of a married man. I have a boyfriend as well, but Mizutani has been making advances at me, which makes me very uneasy."

And so Mizutani asked her out the next night for Karaoke again. "He was already drunk when we met. I told him I felt pain in my lower back. But he said there's a massage chair at the hotel he stayed and that he needed some rest, so I didn't turn him down and tagged along. When we were making out, he pressed me down on the bed. I was shocked and yelled "yamete!" He stopped right there and said sorry. Mizutani expressed that he had never been in another relationship with anyone before other than his wife."

Yet, Mizutani continued to visit. "I was only 18 back then, and I lied to him because those in the club instructed me to lie about my age(TL's note: <20 = underage in Japan). I didn't tell him about my boyfriend either, and I was so troubled. One time I came home late. My boyfriend caught a glimpse of my smartphone and found out. He was so angry and went straight to Mizutani to settle it. Mizutani went to his lawyer and it got worse. Most importantly, I couldn't set the record straight with Mizutani and ultimately I grew tired and left that club in August."

The magazine has got in touch with Mizutani, who expressed that "I'm aware of the situation and has been in contact with various parties. I hope this incident will come to a close soon."

An acquaintance of Mizutani adds that "He really fell in love with that lady. He regrets the fact that he fell for her, but he didn't know she was underage, and he didn't cross the line in the end. Mizutani has told his wife everything, and has been forgiven. It was his first time to be so popular with such a cute girl. He was bothered in the Czech Open, losing in the 2nd round, and finishing 2nd in the XD."

Last edited:
Jan 2018
It will severely hamper their XD pairing and in turn the women's team composition. I wonder how Ito is feeling now, seeing they're from the same town and she's known him since forever.

Ishikawa and Hayata haven't really paired with Mizutani before and the JTTA could go with either of them over Ito.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I checked, what it means being underage in Japan, the 20 years of age makes you actually eligible i.e. to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes (not that I would recommend it)
When it comes to the age of consent ... it's actually 18 years[1] so legally Jun is 'ok' ... I'm not referring of course to his public image or reputation which must have been hurt.

Btw, it's little funny that a young person i.e. of the age of 18 is not ok to have a beer, but still ok to have sex ... and this is the situation in many Countries I guess, not only Japan. As I followed the links, I was shocked to learn that there are some countries, where the 'age of consent' is ... well ... 12 (no comments here). Japan's 18 is actually one of the highest one, Bahrain is 21 and an average for other countries is about ~16.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Asia

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
I was shocked by this news , I always had a good image of Mizutani as a family man in my mind as I knew he had married earlier than other players . It hurts much more when you think about athletes wives .Being the wife of an athlete is not an easy job cause they're spending most of their time in training camps or other countries for competitions . I remember this happend in china for Lin Dan but he came back to his life and his wife again and had many important titles but his image was tarnished and he wasnt the same lin dan that people loved him so much ..

This user has no status.
Not too surprising. What would surprise me is if the number of pro athletes who DON'T "cheat" on their wives/gfs is greater than the ones who do.

I agree and I would include those pro athletes who cheat on their husbands/bfs as well

Jan 2018
https://www.japaninc.com/article.php?articleID=1175
Japan's Free Press Faces Punishment

The nation's first-ever privacy law is aimed at censoring Japan's muckraking weekly magazines.
by Leo Lewis

...The weekly magazines boast of their unique investigative talent and independent status from every kiosk in Japan. The lurid covers of Flash, Spa!, Friday, Shukan Post, Shukan Gendai (pictured here) and others may entice the salaryman reader with pictures of semi-naked girls, but the real action between the covers is very often deadly serious journalism. There is plenty of gratuitous titillation and tabloid exaggeration, but amid the garishness the weekly magazines have shone their torches into Japan's darkest corners, illuminating for the common reader everything from top-level bribery to nuclear cover-ups to food-labeling scams.

https://www.credit-suisse.com/microsites/conferences/aic/en/speakers/speakers/leo-lewis.html
Leo Lewis is a veteran journalist with over 12 years’ experience in North Asia. He is currently a senior Tokyo correspondent for the Financial Times, covering Japan’s corporate world and markets. In this role, Mr. Lewis has been a prolific documenter of the current pivotal period of change in Corporate Japan for the global investor community, offering deep – and often entertaining – insights into what he describes as “interesting times” for Japan.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Yup. Denial is the most predictable of all human responses.

Jan 2018
Took me a while but here is the guidelines on the behavior and conduct for Olympic prospects, players looking to become world-class and staff. Judging from the timing it was published(2017/3/13), it could be a preventative measure after Momota's incident.

http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/player/20170313_range.pdf
UYHqaCK.png

dtbQ2sA.png

The first passage goes like this...

1、責任ある行動
私達はオリンピック・世界日本代表に選ばれた時点から、卓球界を代表して多くの卓球ファン・卓球関係者・ひいては国民に大きな期待と注目を受ける存在となることを自覚する。
各ナショナルチーム選手・スタッフに選ばれた時点から、「日の丸」を胸に付けた、卓球界の代表としての誇りを忘れない。
私達の競技活動には国民の税金を含む強化資金が提供されており、遠征や合宿の費用には国費が含まれていることを理解しなくてはならない。こうしたことからも多くの卓球ファン・卓球関係者・ひいては国民の大きな期待に応えるには、競技での活躍だけでなく、競技を離れた場でも社会の模範となる行動を心がける。
1. Responsible action
From the time we were chosen as the Olympics and Japan representatives of the world, we are aware that many table tennis fans, people related to table tennis, and eventually people will receive great expectations and attention on behalf of the table tennis world.
From the time they were chosen by each national team player / staff, I will never forget the pride of being a representative of the table tennis world with "Hinomaru" on my chest.
It must be understood that our competition activities are provided with enhanced funds, including national taxes, and that expedition and training camp costs include national expenses. For these reasons, in order to meet the great expectations of many ping-pong fans, ping-pong officials, and the people, not only play an active role in competitions, but also act as a model for society outside the competition.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I still think this is lowly tabloid stuff. Giving air to such a story is the real issue here.

To me, there is no problem. Anybody's private life is just that – private. "Act as a model for society outside the competition", that's a dud as well. Anybody should exhibit exemplary behaviour in public life.

And when is anything in private life in conflict with leading an exemplary public life? Well, when private behaviour transgresses the law of the land and, maybe, grossly transgresses societal norms.

I could name ZJK here, who has been displaying what to me is sickening decadence — but he's doing that in public. Another example, perhaps more apt, would be the (alleged) boastful consumption by the french footballer Ribery in private of gold-plated steak in the face of poverty, starvation, resource exhaustion, climate disaster. It didn't make much waves, no matter how despicable.

Back to this love affair, jumped on by a tabloid. When is Mizutani no longer a model for society outside competition? If he's center to a public scandal of course. And how do public scandals come to be? Well, for the most part they are created. By tabloids. And powered by an echo chamber of sensationalism, and a hunger for transgression into the private domain comes with that — with the realm of sexuality being a key focal area.

I say no. We shouldn't feed that loop, and I'm actually pretty disgusted so many are jumping on this non-story with so much vigour.

I'm saying non-story, because that's what it is as long as there's no public legal inquiry. I see this innuendo of rape, abuse of substance, and underaged actors — without substance, and we need not discuss that because that's in the legal domain. Gossip may be fun, but is't not innocent, not harmless, in these matters.

Private life also is not without its turmoils. Relations are fragile and fluid and people get hurt. They get hurt in the private domain​. Which is not a public affair, I reiterate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttpshot and jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Oh they take scandals that threaten to tarnish the Japanese image quite seriously, specially those that represent Japan on an international level.
08/2018 Jarkarta - Four members of the Japanese men's basketball team were sent home last week from the Asian Games, and had their accreditation stripped by the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) after they were found to have spent a night with women in a Jakarta hotel.
[...]
In Inchon's Asian Games, swimmer Tomita was sent home after admitting to theft. He was fined and banned for 18 months from competitions.

If anything, the attention and the efforts to deflate them will cause distraction from his training. Hope he comes out ok.

Yeah but this happened during the Asian Games - the competition, differs substantially from Jun's situation.
Probably my last comment on the issue, I feel weird discussing someones private life to be honest ... sure a role model, but a the same time I should rather be watching myself ... Jun for sure isn't proud of it, but it's life ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Yours truly wouldn't have posted it if it has nothing to do with table tennis. A few years back, there was another scandal where Mizutani's relationship with her current wife(they weren't married yet) was in danger but that one really had nothing to do with table tennis. Not this one. This one has serious implications for his eligibility for Tokyo 2020.

To give you an example. There's this Japanese badminton player Kento Momota, who got caught gambling some time before Rio 2016. He got suspended and it cost him his spot ultimately. But after that incident, he grew a lot and has since won the singles of BWF World Championships 2018 and 2019 and many other titles. He's currently the World No. 1 and favorite for Tokyo 2020. Not unlike what happened to ZJK.

What happened to ZJK ? As I know Liu guoliang expelled him from national team twice but of course we're not sure about the exact story . It seems japan and china and many countries face with these kind of issues in a same manner

Jan 2018
What happened to ZJK ? As I know Liu guoliang expelled him from national team twice but of course we're not sure about the exact story . It seems japan and china and many countries face with these kind of issues in a same manner

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...le=the-truth-behind-the-chinese-stroke#582439
channyboi said:
The tenergy my coach uses in my opinion is fake, he does not deny it when i ask him, but does not admit it either. All coaches claim that because they don't play real competitions, it doesnt matter if the rubber is real or fake, as long as it is capable of kill shots with decent spin.
And even if you speedglue tenergy and it shrinks, your next speedglue session will enlarge it.

And yes, everyone is using haifu whale 2 speed glue.
All of the coaches are between 21-25 years of age. And to be honest, every single one can win everyone but william henzell in the australian national team despite the fact they dont train.

After focusing on footwork these few days, ive found out that people from Australia lack essential skills which could make flying around the table a breeze.

The after effect of speedglue is very similar to the use of Dian Chi booster.

These coaches were all once in the league for entering the chinese national team, but all quit early.
To enter the team, you need not only talent, but money. However, uber naturals like zhang jike can be an exception, which he is.

My coach was brought out by wang haos coach while a close friend of his, which is also a coach at the club was brought out by zhang jikes dad. Apparentely when wang haos dad first met liu guoliang, his gift was a brand new car!
Despite popular belief, zhang jike was not kicked out of the national team for disobeying his coach. Back then, he and ma lin were betting om soccer matches (gambling is illegal in china) and zhang jike lost around 500,000 RMB, putting his father in debt. Because ma lin was olympic champion that year and zhang jike was a small kid, ma lin stayed and jike got the boot.

Man i wanna share all this stuff with you because i was incredibely interested when the coaches told me. There's so much more to share but ill save it for next time.

By the way, apparentely liu shiwen is hot rather than cute, don't let the TV deceive you.
The story I read was like this. Zhang Jike and Kong Linghui bet on soccer. Zhang and Kong lost 500,000 RMB and 800,000 RMB, respectively. Zhang Jike was so scared that he ran straight to home and the CNT did not find out he was missing until the roll call the next day. The bookie knocked on the door and demanded the two be handed over. Ma Lin was said to have helped pay back some 300,000 RMB. Zhang Jike got kicked out and his dad wound up selling his house to pay back the debt. Stuck with the provincial team for 2 years, he fought his way back into the CNT on his own.
Then some time later, people wondered why ZJK would destroy MLin at every chance he gets in matches...

It turns out ZJK bet with MLin's CC after he went bust. When shit hit the fan, MLin demanded ZJK pay back the money spent. Ever since then there has been bad blood between the 2.

IIRC, it got reported in a German newspaper a few years back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun