Breaking News - Mizutani Exposed for Cheating

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I checked, what it means being underage in Japan, the 20 years of age makes you actually eligible i.e. to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes (not that I would recommend it)
When it comes to the age of consent ... it's actually 18 years[1] so legally Jun is 'ok' ... I'm not referring of course to his public image or reputation which must have been hurt.

Btw, it's little funny that a young person i.e. of the age of 18 is not ok to have a beer, but still ok to have sex ... and this is the situation in many Countries I guess, not only Japan. As I followed the links, I was shocked to learn that there are some countries, where the 'age of consent' is ... well ... 12 (no comments here). Japan's 18 is actually one of the highest one, Bahrain is 21 and an average for other countries is about ~16.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Asia

The issue here is more than age of consent. The point of contention here is whether he's committed infidelity, which is punishable in Japan where her wife could divorce him on that ground and claim alimony. This is why he and his acquaintance keep stressing he didn't cross the line(physical relationship).

Cheating, affair and infidelity
https://hataraquest.com/cheating-evidence
cheating-evidence5.png

そもそも「浮気」と「不倫」の違いは混同されやすいものですが、厳密に言うと意味が異なります。

浮気とは、一般的に、配偶者以外の異性と恋愛関係になること、もしくはそう疑われるような行為をすること全般を指すことが多いです。

また、婚姻関係がない恋人同士の間でも使われます。

一方で不倫は、配偶者以外の異性と肉体関係になること、つまり性交渉をするという意味で使われることが多いです。また、婚姻関係がある夫婦間において、使われる言葉です。

しかし、実はどちらも法的な概念ではなく、法的には婚姻関係がある配偶者の不倫のことを「不貞行為」と言います。

なぜ浮気と不倫(不貞行為)を区別する必要があるのかというと、不倫(不貞行為)でなければ、法的には、「慰謝料請求」や「離婚請求」が認められないからです。
In the first place, the difference between “cheating” and “affair” is easily confused, but strictly speaking, the meaning is different.

In general, cheating often refers to a general relationship with a person other than your spouse who is in love or is suspected.

It is also used between lovers who are not married.

On the other hand, infidelity is often used in the sense of having a physical relationship with the opposite sex other than the spouse, that is, having sex. It is also a term used between married couples.

However, neither is actually a legal concept, and the affair of a spouse who is legally married is called “unfaithfulness”.

The reason why it is necessary to distinguish between cheating and infidelity (unfaithfulness) is that legal claims for “claim for alimony” and “claim for divorce” are not allowed unless they are infidelity (unfaithfulness).

Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think it is up to JTTA and their standards what to do. Sometimes coach makes decision by himself, just to recall Karim Benzema who was and still is suspended for representing France but of course thinks he did are much more worse then Mizutani.
So it really does not matter all discussion what he did or what he did not.
When time comes JTTA choose players for Olympics (I personally hope Mizu play much better and will be qualified).

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I think it is up to JTTA and their standards what to do.

I think if we all create a giant shitstorm by slobbering all over it we're creating a reality in which JM has become "controversial", "tainted by a scandal". Because we have the power to do so — and maybe, just maybe, the wisdom not to.

These standards apply to such a created reality, a reality in which it is a fact that JM has raised negative media attention. That's all us doing it, and if we do it we'll force the JTTA's hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avenger
This user has no status.
I think if we all create a giant shitstorm by slobbering all over it we're creating a reality in which JM has become "controversial", "tainted by a scandal". Because we have the power to do so — and maybe, just maybe, the wisdom not to.

These standards apply to such a created reality, a reality in which it is a fact that JM has raised negative media attention. That's all us doing it, and if we do it we'll force the JTTA's hand.

I don't think the JTTA will be reading this forum :)

Seriously though, I agree we shouldn't luridly pore over the details, but Zeio is right - it is a newsworthy event.

It's one thing to make a big fuss for a club team, but we're talking about the Japanese national team for the Tokyo Olympics. It's no longer a personal private affair - the JTTA doesn't just want a qualified player, but a role model to represent it.

Put simply, not a good look to have your star player (with a young wife and new baby) soliciting from a hostess (who by any measure, likely just graduated from high school). I just feel awful for his wife, who has sit through all of this...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I don't think the JTTA will be reading this forum :)

Seriously though, I agree we shouldn't luridly pore over the details, but Zeio is right - it is a newsworthy event.

It's one thing to make a big fuss for a club team, but we're talking about the Japanese national team for the Tokyo Olympics. It's no longer a personal private affair - the JTTA doesn't just want a qualified player, but a role model to represent it.
[...]

Really the last one from me, sure the news is worth attention since potentially it might have unpredictable effects. I would leave it to the JNT or JTTA and Jun ... It's just, and I agree with Yoass here, not sensation worthy on our part ..

Last edited:
Jan 2018
More development.

Police have arrested 3 suspects - 2 male, both 20 and 1 female, 19, on the charge of attempted extortion.

Video after the jump:
https://www.fnn.jp/posts/00427573CX/201911201239_CX_CX

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20191120/k10012183861000.html
https://www.nikkansports.com/general/news/201911200000175.html
https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2019112000620&g=soc

These dumbasses did it through LINE(akin to Whatsapp). It doesn't matter if the messages are encrypted, as long as Mizutani is the recipient. Did they not think he could turn to the police with the evidence?

What a way to end a career.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
More development.

Police have arrested 3 suspects - 2 male, both 20 and 1 female, 19, on the charge of attempted extortion.

Video after the jump:
https://www.fnn.jp/posts/00427573CX/201911201239_CX_CX

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20191120/k10012183861000.html
https://www.nikkansports.com/general/news/201911200000175.html
https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2019112000620&g=soc

These dumbasses did it through LINE(akin to Whatsapp). It doesn't matter if the messages are encrypted, as long as Mizutani is the recipient. Did they not think he could turn to the police with the evidence?

What a way to end a career.

Sorry, can't watch the video - were the conspirators trying to extort Mizu, or was Mizu a part of the extortion scheme?

This user has no status.
they were trying to extort him, of course, with the hostess girl being an accomplice

Yikes. Awful situation to be in. Hopefully it comes out that he's completely innocent and his name is cleared. Whether he still retires or not, his reputation shouldn't be tarnished if he hasn't actually done something wrong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Well, there you go. Don't take tabloids seriously.
I presume when the initial article was published, Mizutani was already consulting the police and his lawyer. Suspects realized that they were unlikely to obtain any cash from Mizutani went to Post Seven instead to sell their story.

I've never been a fan of Mizutani and believe that players should be accountable for their behaviers away from the table but I thought posting a gossip without informing the members of the forums that it's from (very)unreputable source was a bit misleading.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
If anything, in the Jiji report, the police statement is consistent with what the tabloid reported first. Mizutani went to the hostess club first, which got him into this mess.

同署によると、水谷選手は5月中旬に飲食店で少女と知り合い、店外でも複数回にわたり会うなどしていた。少女と交際していた沢野容疑者が鈴木容疑者に相談し、恐喝を計画したという。同選手が8月に被害届を出した。
According to the station, Mizutani met a girl at a restaurant in mid-May and met several times outside the store. Sawano, who was associated with a girl, consulted with Suzuki and planned a depression. The player reported damage in August.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
selling paper

Yesyes, but what's the point of reinvigorating the frame by repeating the innuendos, smears, allegations (presented as facts) here?

Nobody should give a hoot about where young Mr. M. sticks his young Mr. M. Nobody. As long as it's consensual and lawful, and if it's not, that's a fact to be established as the result of a court case, not as the start of one or as the foundation of a public smearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttpshot
Jan 2018
Seriously, it's all over the news here in East Asia. You're too far away.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Seriously, it's all over the news here in East Asia. You're too far away.

Sure. At it is when a Kardashian farts. But it's only "news" because of the mindless echo chamber creating "news" out of thin air. You're not getting a pass from me for feeding the frenzy by pointing to the frenzy.

Reactions: Sali and ttpshot
Jan 2018
Mizutani fanboys spotted.

You see. I find it amazing that, overall, the folks in China have a much more fair-minded reaction than the West. Some comment they feel for Mizutani for hoping his retiring will make Harimoto more mature in the future, yet others feel for Harimoto for getting the blame, and there are some who feel nasty about his cheating, but practically none react like you folks do here. It makes for an interesting social experiment. Smearing? Are you shitting me?

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yes. Repeating allegations (sans context) as facts is smearing. And it concerns a private matter; none of the general public’s business, as long as it’s lawful.

It’s an all too easily abused human weakness, airing (alleged) dirty laundry by way if clickbait. And one of the reasons it works so well is because people (like you) are so eager to amplify.

A Kardashian just farted again. Stop the presses!