World Team Cup 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
In any case, Ito is probably offended by the defeat ....Although the game was completely equal .....

Despite the fact that the Chinese have studied the Ito game literally under a microscope, Ito can play with the Chinese on equal terms ... I remind you, SYS-nr. 3 in the current ITTF rank ...

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
A little bit off topic. Why both winner and runner-up of Women’s side got a barrel of something (no idea what it is), while Korea men’s team only got a coupon?

That barrel of something is...
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-Team-Cup-2019&p=295014&viewfull=1#post295014

As for the latter, Japan and Korea are at odds?
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...9-(World-Tour)&p=286510&viewfull=1#post286510

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/geop...-south-korea-are-odds-us-wont-get-involved-it

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
In any case, Ito is probably offended by the defeat ....Although the game was completely equal .....

Despite the fact that the Chinese have studied the Ito game literally under a microscope, Ito can play with the Chinese on equal terms ... I remind you, SYS-nr. 3 in the current ITTF rank ...

Well I think Ito was even better. In crutial moments she did not change her tactics and missed some important shots. Sys was just trying to put the ball back, Play more spin and this long serves . She prevailed and was just like timo Boll playing point by point.
If you just imagine it was just one point which could make it all different...

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Well I think Ito was even better. In crutial moments she did not change her tactics and missed some important shots. Sys was just trying to put the ball back, Play more spin and this long serves . She prevailed and was just like timo Boll playing point by point.
If you just imagine it was just one point which could make it all different...

++++++++++++++

Jan 2018
1st time Ito was ahead, and by 2 games, in the final of a major. She played impeccably in the first 2 games. She started missing from G3 and onward. A fantastic start in G5, she remained ahead practically all the way until the endgame. In conclusion, Ito, Hirano and Hayata are still stronger when trailing, which has been observable for 2 years. They aren't used to leading by a comfortable/wide margin. They've mastered the catch-up game and now is the time to take the next step.

jfuKax8.jpg

ESzzPw0.jpg

mk84vCi.jpg

SeCMwNG.jpg

QbNDtzG.jpg

bjIAOG9.jpg

mBkzobi.jpg

C1OBx2v.jpg

vdz7wdg.jpg

3qfFYZB.jpg

Hbd5OYe.jpg

KRYab8o.jpg

nsh6Tma.jpg

HD7D5kp.jpg

zq75RIT.jpg

NQ9xd8W.jpg

zyxG93Q.jpg

N6Yjtly.jpg

sf9RFnc.jpg

3HxLs99.jpg

T4vCwXJ.jpg

daCoCEu.jpg

e61T2MK.jpg

hioCtAV.jpg

4dTY1BL.jpg

hZ0FrC2.jpg

oze31PG.jpg

LmzhHTU.jpg

tJdXo00.jpg

bzahs9z.jpg

StE45nG.jpg

siqFQfV.jpg

XUfLZf2.jpg

DETvHIA.jpg

D1rxrwc.jpg

d1C0RrV.jpg

BfKVTsa.jpg

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
as a JNT fan, i am very upset that the result is the same as usual 0-3 despite having some reasons for a much better result and even a win.

Alas Ishikawa is really horrible in doubles. She's the leftie; she's the one who should go for powerful FH all the time. she's always waiting to do BH instead of stepping around. Hopeless

How could Ito not win this game at 10-7 ? she's so good at serving ? why did she serve twice short to the FH ? it was time to do her kick serve ! what happened in her head ????

Hirano is better than last year, but she can't win the best Chinese players yet. She hasn't got the level yet now. I doubt she will have time to get ready for Tokyo 2020. So a JNT victory means 2 singles wins for Ito and to win doubles and that can be done only with Hirano + Hayata.

my 2 cents

Jan 2018
Perhaps Ito was feeling the squeeze. Both of them screwed up a few serves.

Still, I see some good in all the bad. In Ito's case, she was warned right at the beginning of G1 and then faulted soon after. Unlike what happened in German Open, she didn't let it get to her this time around and changed her serves immediately. She also dealt with SYS's long serves much better this time. Those are a big pluses.

Jan 2018
One thing that has been bothering me this tournament during the post-match interviews... is the host not Japanese? Because there are always meanings lost from the English to Mandarin (Lady 1), Mandarin to Japanese (Lady 1) and Japanese to English (Lady 2) to and fro translations.

Interpreting in real-time is already so difficult and pulling it off with 2 interpreters among 3 languages?

0pHDSno.jpg

Jan 2018
...As for her smiling, One may question if she was concentrating her fullest at that moment of all moments, but I feel that in previous days when she's beaten the top CNT, she was always smiling and smirking that way, I don't know if it's entirely a way for her to assure herself that things are under control, or a sinister psychological trick hoping the opponent looks at her and get despondent, But I think it's the former.

I can't remember exactly when and where, but Ito has explained her smiling/smirking when cornered as a way to remain positive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
No one has mentioned it yet, but game 5, the point at 10-7 SYS ball clips the net causing Ito to miss her FH. No apology from SYS (at least not seen on ITTV stream, maybe Japan TV had a different angle to capture that in case SYS did apologize for the net ball.)

From that point onwards, Ito's BH and serves (her strengths IMO) lets her down. She losses the 10-8, 10-10 and 10-11 points on missed BHs, none of which are particularly difficulty to make except for the weight of her countries expectations on her shoulders. She misses proper contact on her 10-9 serve and that ball sits up high with poor ball length for an easy SYS BH winner down the line.

Ito played well but in typical CNT fashion, SYS played much more disciplined and in better control of herself in the end.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
No one has mentioned it yet, but game 5, the point at 10-7 SYS ball clips the net causing Ito to miss her FH. No apology from SYS (at least not seen on ITTV stream, maybe Japan TV had a different angle to capture that in case SYS did apologize for the net ball.)

From that point onwards, Ito's BH and serves (her strengths IMO) lets her down. She losses the 10-8, 10-10 and 10-11 points on missed BHs, none of which are particularly difficulty to make except for the weight of her countries expectations on her shoulders. She misses proper contact on her 10-9 serve and that ball sits up high with poor ball length for an easy SYS BH winner down the line.

Ito played well but in typical CNT fashion, SYS played much more disciplined and in better control of herself in the end.

There were lots of nets and edges throughout the match with no apology. Adam pointed out that it might be the match tension.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
There were lots of nets and edges throughout the match with no apology. Adam pointed out that it might be the match tension.

Then of course it might also be somewhat related to SYS recidivism in the matter, infamously stealing matches as well as general lack of sportsmanship. Ito might well have given up on niceties in the face of that.

Jan 2018
All right, dug it up.

Ito said the smile was added in 2017 as a form of mental control. TV Tokyo even calls it "Team Mimaism."

2018/9/5
https://www.nhk.or.jp/sports-story/detail/20180905_3176.html
ツアー最終戦となるチェコオープンの試合。ここでも伊藤選手はコーチと意見を積極的に交わしていました。

さらに、自分のミスから劣勢になった時、伊藤選手の顔には、「笑み」が。

「なるべく笑う。イライラしても口角を上げる」

意識的に笑うことで、気持ちを静めようとしたのです。この試合、相手と張り合うことなく、柔軟なレシーブを見せてポイントを重ね、勝利を掴みました。

2018/11/5
https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/news/2018/11/003108.html
 加えてスウェーデンオープンの試合中、伊藤はミスが続いたり相手に流れが傾きそうになったりする場面で意識的に口角を上げ、時には笑顔すら浮かべていた。これもメンタルをコントロールするための秘策のひとつ。伊藤がよく強さの秘訣を聞かれ「卓球を楽しむこと」と答えるが、どんなに苦しい状況でも下を向かず、発想の転換でピンチを乗り切ることを心がけている。その精神は「チーム美誠イズム」とも呼べるもので、練習中や試合前も笑いとユーモアが絶えない。

2019/1/3
https://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/shizuoka/shizuoka_kiwame/list/2019/CK2019010302000055.html
 -試合では意識して笑みを作っているようだ。

苦しい時でも口角を上げるように意識している。一七年の良くなってきた時期から始めた。相手は何を考えているかが分かりにくく、やりづらいのでは。