World Team Cup 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I agree, that he is a shoo in for the other Olympics spot, both because there are only 3 realistic candidates for 2 spots and XX is already required for doubles.

But as for him being at his top level again, frankly, no. I don't think so. I think he's definitely getting back on the right track now, but there is still a bit of work to do. That said, he has such depth of talent, that I don't think he necessarily needs to be at his absolute top form. But I don't think he is at it.

The reason I don't think he is at his absolute top form, is because of the way he opens up most of his points these days, with short pushes.

While there is nothing intrinsically wrong with short pushes, it is a more passive way of playing. Pretty much every match he plays lately, his push rallies have gotten shorter, and he has come up with the first attack more often, which is why I think he is on the right track. However, his success rate on those attacks to get out of the short pushes have so far not been fantastic.

The game based on a more aggressive over the table game is inherently a more assertive one, where you take control of the flow of the points. When you are playing well, it is also a far more dominant playstyle (eg FZD last year). I think right now, he's not just choosing to play a more passive style, but judging from his error rate on the first attacks, he's actually not able to play as dominantly as he used to. I think this shows from how much more vulnerable his game looks now, compared to how untouchable (except against ML) he looked last year.

So I think he's probably on the right track, but no, I wouldn't say he's at his top level.

FZD worked on short pushes because it was a part of his loss against ML, especially at 2017 WTTC. He was too hasty attacking the first balls and making mistakes. His short pushes are not a sign of vulnerability. But a sign of wisdom. He had a hard time changing his game that is for sure, and it may have cost him the WTTC 2019 loss. But he is now back on track and proving in this TWC he's the best choice for 2nd singles spot in Tokyo.

I would've really love to see XX vs Jang Woojin today. This was a real chance for Korea. But against FZD, there is just no suspens.
As a coach who would you rather have in the arena? There you have it...

FZD worked on short pushes because it was a part of his loss against ML, especially at 2017 WTTC. He was too hasty attacking the first balls and making mistakes. His short pushes are not a sign of vulnerability. But a sign of wisdom. He had a hard time changing his game that is for sure, and it may have cost him the WTTC 2019 loss. But he is now back on track and proving in this TWC he's the best choice for 2nd singles spot in Tokyo.

I would've really love to see XX vs Jang Woojin today. This was a real chance for Korea. But against FZD, there is just no suspens.
As a coach who would you rather have in the arena? There you have it...

Just to be clear, I don't think his being able to short push well is a sign of weakness. Obviously another tool in your belt is useful. It's that short pushing is now his default open to points that I consider a weakness, and his transition out of the short push game that is weak at the moment.

Reactions: slym
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Women's Team line-up is out. Again, China is sending their three most on-form players at the moment. They are ABC while Japan is XYZ.

LSW/CM vs Ishikawa/Hirano
SYS vs Ito
LSW vs Hirano
SYS vs Ishikawa
CM vs Ito

Reactions: Vlad Celler
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Women's Team line-up is out. Again, China is sending their three most on-form players at the moment. They are ABC while Japan is XYZ.

LSW/CM vs Ishikawa/Hirano
SYS vs Ito
LSW vs Hirano
SYS vs Ishikawa
CM vs Ito

Poor WMY.

As expected, Baba fields Ishikawa for the 4th match if they are the XYZ team.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
She would have made Ishikawa play the fifth match if they were ABC too

I thought that China might have pitted Liu against Ito since they always pit Ding against Feng way back to feed into Ding Ning's redemption arc. I guess they don't fully trust her yet. At least now I won't have to watch this match with split loyalties.

Reactions: Junting
Jan 2018
kjyUPMP.png

Jan 2018
She would have made Ishikawa play the fifth match if they were ABC too

I thought that China might have pitted Liu against Ito since they always pit Ding against Feng way back to feed into Ding Ning's redemption arc. I guess they don't fully trust her yet. At least now I won't have to watch this match with split loyalties.

LSW has a "poor" record against FTW so that's why they always put DN in her place. LSW is necessary for the doubles if DN is truly injured. By extension, SYS could be playing singles next year.

Jan 2018
Ishikawa listened to Takkyu_wa_Inochi and turned the corner at 6:6.

Result? Burned.

7:11.

You see Hirano with a big smile after making a good shot while Ishikawa stood there with a poker face. She can't get herself to enjoy the match...

Last edited:
Jan 2018
@zeio Your profil picture is next level!

// would be even better if she hits the hurdle like in her games

Why didn't I think of that?! Will make one after this.

Jan 2018
5:1 lead and game point in G3...

mtAyfGW.jpg