World Team Cup 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
IMO these serves are ok, you can see in slow motion while ball touches the racket is quite clear. Of course he had problems with reading spin but he had a bad day - I did not see any fighting spirit from Boll, he was just trying to answer yoshimura game. Yoshimura controlled the match from the start till the end and also if you see how many easy mistakes he did you would noticed that the score should be even better for japanese.
Pity for Boll because his form is not solid and you cannot rely on him 100%, same with franziska who lost recently in bundesliga to marcelo aguirre and completely underperformed falck.

Your opinion is yours. You can see in slow motion that the contact is often not visible to the returner and it Is worse for a lefty. It makes the sport look silly when someone is serving as cleanly as Boll is and is unable to return Yoshimura when he is serving behind the head and is forced to be mostly passive on service return. This is my best attempt to be polite on this topic.

Yoshimura played well but what he is doing is blatantly bad and could be easily addressed by the umpires if they were serious.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
congrats Tomo !
the defeat against Pitchford was more an accident than anything else, due to the big pressure. Today Harimoto was in a much better mental state, and played superbly against strong German opposition.

BANZAI !!!

You were at the hall, did you get close look at what the players were using? in btw it must've been a delight to watch youshimura on song.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Your opinion is yours. You can see in slow motion that the contact is often not visible to the returner and it Is worse for a lefty. It makes the sport look silly when someone is serving as cleanly as Boll is and is unable to return Yoshimura when he is serving behind the head and is forced to be mostly passive on service return. This is my best attempt to be polite on this topic.

Yoshimura played well but what he is doing is blatantly bad and could be easily addressed by the umpires if they were serious.

Well I do not remember when was the last time umpires punished or warned yoshimura for hiding serves. As I remember yoshimura is serving like that from the first time I saw him few years ago in Polish Open where he was easily destroyed by lefty Mizutani.
My point rather was that Timo played really poor today and even with his own serves did not have much initiative.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well I do not remember when was the last time umpires punished or warned yoshimura for hiding serves. As I remember yoshimura is serving like that from the first time I saw him few years ago in Polish Open where he was easily destroyed by lefty Mizutani.
My point rather was that Timo played really poor today and even with his own serves did not have much initiative.

If you look at Timo's history vs Yoshimura, Timo has always struggled with close matches vs Yoshimura. He lost the critical points today. The idea he played "poorly" is weird.

Yoshimura has won a National Championship over Mizutani.
Let us remember this .

That umpires don't call ball hiding is a silly argument. If Timo was someone who served illegally as well, this would be me of an issue.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
gRkjEnm.png

XvA9GiD.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
...You can see in slow motion that the contact is often not visible to the returner and it Is worse for a lefty...

Well but the rules dont say anything about the contact..
Rules say, that the ball must be visible all the way from the last point of contact with the hand throwing it up, till the moment it hits the bat..
So its illegal anyway..

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Regarding opinions on service based on ITTF’s video ;
I don’t believe a valid judgement can be made purely from it. It’s usually shot from an higher elevation about the spectators’ seating area (higher than eye level), at an DOWN angle towards the table. The perspective is quite different from the receiving player at eye level and directly in front of the server.
The umpires have been calling/warning all kinds of improper serves in this Tournament so far. Body blocking, curved toss, low toss, even given outright point penalties. At 10 ft distance, at eye level, and there are 2 of them covering LH/RH players, I tend to believe those right at front line of the action.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Regarding opinions on service based on ITTF’s video ;
I don’t believe a valid judgement can be made purely from it. It’s usually shot from an higher elevation about the spectators’ seating area (higher than eye level), at an DOWN angle towards the table. The perspective is quite different from the receiving player at eye level and directly in front of the server.
The umpires have been calling/warning all kinds of improper serves in this Tournament so far. Body blocking, curved toss, low toss, even given outright point penalties. At 10 ft distance, at eye level, and there are 2 of them covering LH/RH players, I tend to believe those right at front line of the action.
Yes, I believe the players. When someone is hiding serves you can see it in how the players return their serves. If you know the structure of high level table tennis, players are trying to drop the ball short. When a player is pushing long repeatedly, he has given up on reading the serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
If you look at Timo's history vs Yoshimura, Timo has always struggled with close matches vs Yoshimura. He lost the critical points today. The idea he played "poorly" is weird.

Yoshimura has won a National Championship over Mizutani.
Let us remember this .

That umpires don't call ball hiding is a silly argument. If Timo was someone who served illegally as well, this would be me of an issue.
I never wrote that yoshimura is poor player.
As you wrote timo always struggled with him but always won and now he was beaten Black and blue.
So if the serves were the main issue why he won previous matches.
I like timo but I did not see any initiative from him. He was just putting the ball back.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Yes and also first time in history that USA team had all the names chinese.. :D
I think by middle of 2020, once CNT has filled the top 8 (Women for sure) with their members and can therefore rotate/rest their elites and still lock in/seed the 4 quarters, you’ll be seeing WT semi final all in red, ALL THE TIME. Kind of a Chinese Super League Road Tour/World Exhibition. If not China, then certainly Chinese. Players/coaches of Chinese origins are establishing themselves in Europe, and more will be coming. Geopolitics not withstanding.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I never wrote that yoshimura is poor player.
As you wrote timo always struggled with him but always won and now he was beaten Black and blue.
So if the serves were the main issue why he won previous matches.
I like timo but I did not see any initiative from him. He was just putting the ball back.

Beaten black and blue in an 11-7, 11-9, 14-12 game. Nah you sabi.

How do you do more than put the ball back when you can't read the serve? This is getting silly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes and also first time in history that USA team had all the names chinese.. :D

Kanak Jha is indian American. Yijun Feng was born in the USA as were Amy Wang and Lily Zhang. Amy I actually played once or twice a few years back. Kai and Jennifer are the ones born in China but we also had US national team members from Yugoslavia at one time. TT is that kind of sport here.

This user has no status.
Was Tom Feng born in the US? I always thought that he was born in China, but moved here as an elementary student to Atlanta.

Doesn't really matter in my mind though - I don't see a real distinction.

I can understand how folks might look askance on Jennifer and Kai playing (since they had their formative table tennis years living in China and didn't move here until high school days, perhaps to have a better shot for their career), but I personally don't care. They've made a positive impact to table tennis especially around the NYC area and aren't past their prime (i.e., not trying to relive their glory years, taking away spots from juniors).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Was Tom Feng born in the US? I always thought that he was born in China, but moved here as an elementary student to Atlanta.

Doesn't really matter in my mind though - I don't see a real distinction.

I can understand how folks might look askance on Jennifer and Kai playing (since they had their formative table tennis years living in China and didn't move here until high school days, perhaps to have a better shot for their career), but I personally don't care. They've made a positive impact to table tennis especially around the NYC area and aren't past their prime (i.e., not trying to relive their glory years, taking away spots from juniors).

Kai emigrated as a junior too. Even though he was a good player before he came, a lot of his training happened in the US. Jennifer is well integrated into the US scene as well and I generally agree with your sentiments though I can see how others may disagree on this or that.