Ultimate baby oil tuning / boosting guide (with pictures)

If baby oil has it, how much percentage does it have? I have tried baby oil alone and it does not boost much, that is why i added paraffin oil to it. Take a look at his pictures, the doming isn't even that much.
If you read my post I clearly explained that I used a little quantity and I was happy with the results. If you use more, you get a bigger "dome". If you have nothing constructive to contribute, please abstain.

Julian

If you read my post I clearly explained that I used a little quantity and I was happy with the results. If you use more, you get a bigger "dome". If you have nothing constructive to contribute, please abstain.

Julian

This is a forum. When you post something which is your first time experiencing it compared to people who have been doing it for years, you should be open to criticism and discussion. Otherwise, do not post at all and keep it to yourself.

Reactions: lVegita
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
a04ca359f86582e30be887300530c373.jpg

3b60ff2fd941160f4e99c05509e8ee04.jpg

A bottle of Johnson’s Baby Oil. I photographed the ingredients. They read:

Mineral Oil, Fragrance.

I don’t see it say there is paraffin or any petroleum based substance in it.

Then, here:

Under definitions for paraffin, this was one:

“a colorless, flammable, oily liquid similarly obtained and used as fuel, especially kerosene.”

I believe that was what Yogi was referring to and that kind of paraffin oil will give a decent boost effect.

On whether paraffin is good for the skin:

“The dermatologist adds that paraffin is known to clog pores and can also be harmful if swallowed because of the fact that it does not break down easily. "In skincare, paraffin is commonly used in its oil form and again, it is a derivative of petroleum," says Shapiro. ... [But] paraffin is overall not good for the skin."”

As far as things that will be absorbed by the sponge, if you put water on the sponge it would sink in just like with a kitchen sink sponge. And the water would cause the sponge to expand. Because the topsheet is glued to the sponge, that would cause it to curl. But water would not give a boost effect even though it would curl the rubber.

But baby oil does have a mild boost effect. And I think all yogi was saying is that, if you used a lamp oil (often called paraffin although there are also other things that get called paraffin) it would have a bigger boost effect.

Last edited:
Carl,

Mineral oil is petroleum based by definition. That's why it's called "mineral" (as opposed to vegetable). You should know that, it is basic stuff taught in school.

From Wikipedia: "The name mineral oil by itself is imprecise, having been used for many specific oils over the past few centuries. Other names, similarly imprecise, include white oil, paraffin oil, liquid paraffin (a highly refined medical grade), paraffinum liquidum (Latin), and liquid petroleum. Baby oil is a perfumed mineral oil." So liquid paraffin is a highly refined mineral oil. I am traveling now but I can post pictures in a couple of days.

Also, in my post
- I DID NOT ask how to create a bigger boost effect
- I DID NOT suggest that baby oil creates the biggest boost effect
- I also DID NOT say that people should be using baby oil instead of something else.

If you have any doubt please read my post again. So Yogi's comments are beside the point and unwelcome.

Julian

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl,

Mineral oil is petroleum based by definition. That's why it's called "mineral" (as opposed to vegetable). You should know that, it is basic stuff taught in school.

From Wikipedia: "The name mineral oil by itself is imprecise, having been used for many specific oils over the past few centuries. Other names, similarly imprecise, include white oil, paraffin oil, liquid paraffin (a highly refined medical grade), paraffinum liquidum (Latin), and liquid petroleum. Baby oil is a perfumed mineral oil." So liquid paraffin is a highly refined mineral oil. I am traveling now but I can post pictures in a couple of days.

Also, in my post
- I DID NOT ask how to create a bigger boost effect
- I DID NOT suggest that baby oil creates the biggest boost effect
- I also DID NOT say that people should be using baby oil instead of something else.

If you have any doubt please read my post again. So Yogi's comments are beside the point and unwelcome.

Julian

You are right. Mineral oil is petroleum based. But I would not call it paraffin. We may have different definitions of what that term means.

But whether you like that someone made a post that was meant to be helpful that you did not want or not, does not mean anything. And as far as I am concerned, this statement:

"So Yogi's comments are beside the point and unwelcome."

Is you being out of line. And you have recently been warned about behavior like this.

Last edited:
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
You are right. Mineral oil is petroleum based. But I would not call it paraffin. We may have different definitions of what that term means.

But whether you like that someone made a post that was meant to be helpful that you did not want or not, does not mean anything. And as far as I am concerned, this statement:

"So Yogi's comments are beside the point and unwelcome."

Is you being out of line. And you have recently been warned about behavior like this.

This depends on country ... on some battles of baby oil is mentioned paraffin oil ...on some is mentioned mineral oil
and on some of them is written Paraffinum Liquidum ...
0483127-2.jpg

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/johnsons-baby-oil-200ml/p/0483127
All depends on country

Here is czech web page , where they says it has parafin liquid
https://cs.our-hometeam.com/4314102-oil-johnsons-baby-composition-use-effectiveness-reviews
you have to use translator .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
After I emptied my last bottle of seamoon, I tried a sports oil on one of my old rubbers, and the result was just as good as with seamoon. It is much thinner though and smells quite a bit. But it is non-toxic, so no health issues.
I even boosted my current new rubbers with it and they play perfectly. Effect lasts at least 2 weeks before a slow gradual decline. So there is no need for expensive boosters.

This user has no status.
After I emptied my last bottle of seamoon, I tried a sports oil on one of my old rubbers, and the result was just as good as with seamoon. It is much thinner though and smells quite a bit. But it is non-toxic, so no health issues.
I even boosted my current new rubbers with it and they play perfectly. Effect lasts at least 2 weeks before a slow gradual decline. So there is no need for expensive boosters.

Could you clarify what exactly is "sports oil"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Could you clarify what exactly is "sports oil"

Ok... it's the stuff you rub onto your skin to keep you warm.
I don't advertise any particular brand but what I have has the following ingredients. (in descending percentage used)

Paraffinum Liquidum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Styrene Ethylene, Polysorbate 20, Cetearyl Isononandate, Vanillyl Butyl Ether, Parfum, Bisa-bolol, Capsicum Annuum Fruit Extract, Capsicum Frutescens Fruit Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Amyl Cinnamal, Hexyl Cinnamal

So it's mainly paraffin and some other oily mess. I buy it anyway to keep myself warm between matches, it's not worse than seamoon and it's cheaper.
So whatever. It doesn't even give me skin cancer.

@admin: I can't post B.i.s.a.b.o.l.o.l because apparently "s-a-b-o" is a forbidden word. wtf?

Reactions: bobpuls
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Rule 73. Upon joining a table tennis forum you are not allowed to engage in any flame war until your second month even if someone is wrong on the internet......

Moreover if one is proposing an alternative to, say, Falcko, the two treatments should be compared head to head, ideally tested by a player who doesn't know how the rubber is treated. Same kind of rubber. Same blade. Also of course untreated rubber as a control. Without that it is pretty meaningless a d not worth flamwxwars or bandwidth.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2018
So I'm thinking about boosting my hurricane 3 I played it for like 5 months now and just want to see what happens to the rubber.
Can I just pull the rubber off and put the booster on the old glue or should I remove the old glue and put new glue back on?