Can you use two different fh rubbers for different opponents? Short Pimples BH?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Can you successfully use different FH rubber against different styles or conditions? Short Pimples on BH, same blade!!

I have been using short pimples for 10 moths now.
I have been using them on bh with Tenergy on FH on a Samsonov Force Pro Blue (classic 7 ply wood) or
on bh with Hurricane 3 Neo on a Yinhe M202 (carbon inner layer blade)

Because of reviews and recommendation for a stiff 7 ply blade as being the ideal blade for short pimples and wanting something wooden but fast enough for Hurricane 3 Neo i took the plunge and bought a Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black

This is a beast of a blade, blocking and flat hitting is superb with Hurricane and Short Pimples, but it makes the FH so flat, I find it almost impossible to loop slower fh with any arc, their is a spin but the arc is so low it feels like it would be very much a knife edge in matches.
I like arc on my fh as it gives me confidence to open up against any incoming ball and encourages me to be more positive with my fh on lower balls, i have a bad habit of pushing if i feel they are too low.

I am a little disappointed as I prefer the feel of wooden blades generally.

So from a balance perspective I suspect the Yinhe and Force Pro Blue just flex a little bit more which makes it a bit easier for my fh although I probably lose a little bit on my pimples.

Also I have been using 1.5 spectol on my bh with the Force pro blue but it feels to thin and hard on the carbon blade.

Anyway here is my problem, I prefer hurricane v attackers and fast players as it gives me more control in block and counter, much much tighter serves that can not be attacked. But I find it very very difficult to put defenders and/or long pimplers (off the table type) with it.

When I use Tenergy on the other blade and can just blast through these defenders but can not play with enough variation and control to beat the attackers.

Everyone says you can not use two different blades and rubbers, however surely you can, I can provide statistical and video proof of losses and wins against several different players (played the player with both combinations)using the different blades within a 3 or 4 month period. The results are very different, their are several players I can only beat with one of the combinations!

Tennis players adjust the tightness of their strings for different conditions and surfaces, surely this could be the same for table tennis players.

If you're just going to call me an EJ and make sarcastic comments, do not bother.

I only require constructive comments or other players that may or may not use two blades or a different rubber one side for different players etc.

If I do go down the two blade route I will get another Yinhe M202 and use the same short pimples on both blades but have a hurricane fh and a tenergy fh.
My theory is to use Hurricane 80% - 90% of the time as my main blade, I would then just use the Tenergy combination for the choppers and lobbers and away from the table long pimplers!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi MOG, no shame in confessing EJ tendencies, me too!

However, as fun as trying different things are, there are habits that become ingrained and can mean the difference between continuing a point or losing outright.

I have 2 dozen combos glued up, but whenever I play a "real" match, I always go with my primary setup.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
If you saw me play a defender (similar standard) with Hurricane I would probably lose, I would almost certainly beat that same player straight away in a second match with no practice with the same combo but with Tenergy.

Now if I played a 20 year old two winged looper (similar standard) they would feed off my tenergy speed and fast spin and I might well loose easily. Yet if i switched to Hurricane 3 Neo, they would have to push my serves back unless they were exceptional at flicking!! I would counter much more of their loops, I would give them difficult spinny loops with trajectories that got them off balance.

I can provide video evidence in tournaments and leagues of this against the same opponents over a 3 month period, sometimes I even changed the blade on the same day.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Well, if you have statistical proof that it works for you, then go ahead. It's not like you are bringing out 2-sided long pips just to piss off the guy you always loose to haha.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Personally I would not recommend it and would rather stick to one setup, but if you prefer playing like that nothing is stopping you.

The question you should be asking yourself is wether you actually improve your table tennis switching so much.

That is a good point Garrison, probably not, you would argue I should pick one and improve at the weaknesses, and that would make me use Hurricane 3 Neo, but I find it awful with the new plastic balls, especially Butterfly. Also hurricane can become useless in very humid conditions or if the rubber gets too cold.

Also I have always been pretty good at beating defenders and LP players even when they are ranked higher than myself. And I hate with a passion losing to these players, especially LP blockers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
To me T05 and H3 are two extremes on opposite sides of the spectrum. Maybe there's a rubber that sits in the middle of the two that would suit you better? I have no clue what this would be but maybe some fairly linear ESN rubber with a hardness below 47 degrees with plenty of grip.

Just my 0.02€.

Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
How does the Tibhar Samsonov pro black wood feel if you should compare it with ex. Sanwei Fextra 7 ??
Its my main wood im using right now. But sometimes i feel that im missing the fun in looping because it feels very hard.
I have Mantra M max i fh and Razka Po on bh whitch i really like

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Maybe there's a rubber that sits in the middle of the two that would suit you better? I have no clue what this would be but maybe some fairly linear ESN rubber with a hardness below 47 degrees with plenty of grip.

I thought the same, but I don´t agree with the solution.

The very un-bouncy Hurricane gives control, while the not-really-bouncy-either tenergy allows to "blast through".

That said, the ideal rubber would have to be hard-ish, not as fast as tenergy, couldn´t have to much catapult - it´s difficult to think of such a thing from ESN, but Hurricane 8 somehow comes to mind.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I would say I play better with Hurricane in general. It is sometimes that it is just such hard work beating lobbers and lp boys.
And it is such an inconsistent rubber in different conditions etc.
Plus I am sick of butterfly's monopoly and price fixing. Butterfly is the only equipment I can not buy from other countries!
They are a disgusting company!!

I find only Hurricane and 05fx give me the arc on the ball I want from my loops. All other rubbers I try feel to flat and straight.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
How does the Tibhar Samsonov pro black wood feel if you should compare it with ex. Sanwei Fextra 7 ??
Its my main wood im using right now. But sometimes i feel that im missing the fun in looping because it feels very hard.
I have Mantra M max i fh and Razka Po on bh whitch i really like

I think you would like it, only tried a Fexxtra briefly, I would say they are very similar in hardness and feel. Do not think the force pro black would be spinnier, it has a very flat arc on loops for me.
I would say it is a hitter and blockers blade for close to the table, not sure Samsonov would ever have really liked it??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Can you compare Yinhe M202 with another blade that have the same structure such as: innerforce. I heard that it's so stiff that couldn't to play with H3.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
hm, I'm a bit skeptical about that... my question would be how will you train? With 2 different combos all the time? Against the attackers using Hurricane and against defenders with BTY T? I think this would lead into developing two rather distinct techniques and hinder your "natural" ability to adapt to different playing styles eventually.. and you would have to invest twice the time to progress equally well with 2 different setups for different playing styles..?
Maybe you feel that's the best way out for at the moment, but what about the long term perspective?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think the desire to use different setups is not new or unique. In fact the ittf had to make a rule against switching bats during matches. You can definitely do it and play well. It is just a different approach. It isn't that different from using different equipment in different playing halls as one example. Or using one type of bat when playing defenders. It has disadvantages if you have limited practice time and take a single technique and high level spin approach to the ball. But if you are more of a hitter, it is in line with what many pips players have done for decades.

Reactions: Sedis and MOG

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I think the desire to use different setups is not new or unique. In fact the ittf had to make a rule against switching bats during matches. You can definitely do it and play well. It is just a different approach. It isn't that different from using different equipment in different playing halls as one example. Or using one type of bat when playing defenders. It has disadvantages if you have limited practice time and take a single technique and high level spin approach to the ball. But if you are more of a hitter, it is in line with what many pips players have done for decades.

I practice quite a lot and seem to switch seamlessly between tenergy and hurricane.
I think I am a bully type player.
I love hitting v defenders and off the table players, but some players feed off this.
Against those attacking and counter attacking guys I prefer to vary my game and mess them about and use spin much more.
It is a bit pointless looping the crap out of it against an off the table retriever they just use the spin against you.
Better to serve short and whack it before they get set.
I am a player that needs a target or a plan to play well.
Eg. a player with a weaker side, a player who does not like slow balls, a player who does not like fast balls.
I can not execute these methods with one of the set ups alone.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
My theory of one bat was the force pro Black.
I thought the stiffness of it might make it easier to drive and kill the ball with even with Hurricane 3 Neo, but it was very flat.
I am going to try it again tonight though in a league match.
It should be great for the pimples and is superb for blocking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
So your oppinion of Force Pro black is that its perfekt for razka Po in bh and a offensive rubber on fh???
Or maybe Donic Waldner senso carbon wood???

Now my main wood is Fextra7 but i really feel its a bit heavy.

Last edited: