New "Rules" for Table Tennis

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Hmm. Could be I'm out of date. Was it ever on the list?

In any case shirtless TT is an anathema comparable to wearing black socks. If it's hot see Rule 6.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Ha ha. To my table tennis compatriots, Rule 33 for road cyclists requires one to shave their legs. Believe it or not, people have argued that there is an aerodynamic advantage to removing hair on the legs. Pretty much every pro road cyclist does it. Mainly though it is better for when you crash so when you remove the bandages it doesn't hurt so much and the mangled flesh stays cleaner.

No, I don't follow that rule. I use my small ring too (also against the Rules for road cyclists). Road bikes typically have two chain rings on the front with the pedals, and the heroic road cyclists of the 1970s, like Eddie Merckx, tended to stay in the larger one with 53 teeth and just push harder. Nobody does that now when climbing, rather the best riders tend to go into a lower gear and spin faster, with Chris Froome taking that approach to an extreme, and with great success.

Half the fun of rules is knowingly breaking them. It is odd that the Rules for cyclists, which were always intended to be tongue-in-cheek, started to taken seriously by some people!

Of course,the other half of the fun is writing them. :cool:

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hmm. Could be I'm out of date. Was it ever on the list?

In any case shirtless TT is an anathema comparable to wearing black socks. If it's hot see Rule 6.

How about the RED SOCKS of Terror ???!!! They filmed this in my old Korean club !!

Reactions: ttmonster
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
That video illustrates why these Rules are needed.

It is for the sake of the children.

(They must learn to swear properly)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Rule 73. Upon joining a table tennis forum you are not allowed to engage in any flame war until your second month even if someone is wrong on the internet, especially in reply to threads that have had no activity in more than five years.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Rule 74. Cases for protecting your table tennis racket are to be rectangular. Under no circumstances should they be shaped like a table tennis racket.

Rule 75. White clothing is for weddings and tennis at Wimbledon, but is only allowed for shoes and socks in table tennis.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Rule 76 .Young players who have defeated a better older player whose level has declined due to age and/or injury are not allowed to imagine or imply that this is anything remotely similar to having defeated that player in their prime. See also Rule 50. However this rule must NEVER be invoked by the older losing player, who is obligated to follow Rule 6.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Rule 77. You are not allowed to signal to a doubles partner what serve you will use unless you actually know how to execute more than one serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
#1 I agree. I think it is disgusting and I use disinfected wipes to clean my table
#2 I agree. It is rude. In China they say “how cho” or “hao qiu” to complement their opponents on making a good shot.

#6 that gets to be much harder as you get older.
#7 Why not? However, I am too cheap to do that.
#8 I don’t like buying anything with a manufacturer’s logo. I am getting paid to advertise for them.
#9 I wear black socks sometimes but they are ankle high.
#10 I wear indoor soccer shoes. Adidas Sambas. I buy a new pair about every 15[SUP]th[/SUP] month.
#11 What about the Pushblocker?
#12 Agree, I usually suck on camera and there are always things to point out that are bad.
#14 I disagree. There are some things I can’t do now that I could. Too often I try to step around a ball and am not fast enough. I am 66.
#19 this is one of the biggest scams ever.
#20 you can play with only one at a time. I have 12+.
#21 I bought bird netting for our club. It keeps the balls with each court. Bird netting is cheap.
#24 agreed about TTex. Pickleball is a good sport for seniors. I am one of those. I should try it sometime.

#27 There is a Goldilocks paddle for everyone but it isn’t necessarily the fastest paddle.
#28 There are lots of alternatives to Tenergy. They won’t play quite the same but close enough.

#30 It isn’t about what ratings system isn’t flawed. It is about what ratings system is the best.
Ratings Central is the best. Sometimes it isn’t about the ratings systems itself but how the tournament directors use it.

#33 I tried Tear Mender. I went back to Elmer’s. So what?
#34 My ‘local’ club is too far away and the traffic is so bad so I have my own place to play that is better lit and with non-slip flooring and so many balls that they only need to be picked up once half way and once at the end of a practice session.
#35 ????

#39 my last coach was from China and 1/3 my age. I miss him but also feel sorry for him because he is back in China.

#40 use videos.

#41 in China there are two symbols for table tennis but sometimes the second symbols is omitted. It is the one for ping or pong?

#43 agreed. The play has control, not the blade or the rubber.

#44 I supply all the balls. If my playing partners want to supply balls, I am all for it.

#45 The prices of TT rubber and balls is a scam. Fortunately, there is a fool born every minute.
Most of the cost comes from marketing. There is little variation between rubbers but it does cost a lot to make a new mold.

#46 agreed. We warm up FH and BH and then do a push drill or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] ball attack drill.

#49 do you mean 60-70?

#51 What if you have made many $M with engineering, physics and mathematics expertise?
PhDs hire me. Yes, I can afford 2 new sheets of T05 every week and I would even notice financially.
My last coach was a 19 year old kid from China. He could play well and beat the person that won the US Open but couldn’t explain why things worked the way they did.

#52 you can make large changes in what you know what to do but executing it is different.

#55 we take turns buying dinner.

#57 most people do not know what would make a good booster

#58 you should also be able to get low and stay low and twiddle.

#63 yes.

#65 So is nuproxen

#66 yes.

#70 When I play in China, the coach has sent her students to me. I try to make the little kids look good so their parents cheer. I get back and just retrieve balls. It is good practice for me since I rarely move away from the table.

#72 I second that.

Best rule ever! Love this Baal! I believe the term for this is called "trolling" I could be wrong though. I'm not very savvy with internet slang.
:D!
Rule 73. Upon joining a table tennis forum you are not allowed to engage in any flame war until your second month even if someone is wrong on the internet, especially in reply to threads that have had no activity in more than five years.