Young improving player set up

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Hi Guys

My 12 year old lad has been playing for 9 months and developing rapidly. He trains 3-4 times per week including 1:1 coaching. He has started local league and is playing really well and has a under 13 competition end of this month. I am looking at getting him a new set up he can use for a while and improve with. His current set up is butterfly maze magic with sriver both sides. The blade was given to him by club mate of mine and is old and very used and srivers were also partly used at that time so now coming close to end of its life.

Blade I was considering is joola wing medium which I understand is a medium speed blade with high control.

Rubbers Considering either sriver, Yasaka Mark V, roundell or Rozena but I think rozena May be too fast for him at this early stage.

The idea is for him to have a blade which he can use for few years and as he improves (which is very rapid) to upgrade his rubbers till he reaches the standard of using tenergy.

Any suggestions or comments?

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Hello there,

Do not switch rubbers and blade at the same time. It will have a substantial impact on his gameplay.

I have played with Joola Wing Medium; there are 2 versions of it, other being the Joola Wing Medium Jr.
I haven't played with the Jr. version so, my comments are for the normal version with bigger head size and handle.

It is a 5 ply blade with composition as:
koto-ayous-kiri-ayous-koto
it has a crisp feeling when you hit hard (5th ball attack). It has a throw angle of medium to high with Sriver rubbers and packs an excellent punch with control.
This combination shines close to the table and will be excellent if you time your strokes well for counter topspins. Basic play for your lil one will be fairly easy, without any loopholes.
He may have to use strength far away from table.

Sriver is an excellent rubber for learners as well as intermediate players. One of my clubmates still uses sriver on a DHS Long 3 blade and it suits his hard hitting gameplay on FH as well as BH.

Go ahead and purchase it; can't go wrong.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think that you should consult the coach. I know quite a few youth coaches and nothing makes them more annoyed than players that all of a sudden turns up with something which (according to them) is too fast.

I agree. I also get very upset if they buy something without asking me first.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
That is what I was going to do. I was just going to get ideas from people on here and then go to his coaches with idea.
Funny enough one coach is sponsored by joola another by butterfly. So if I go for my original choice both would be happy. Lol

But I will run it by them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Rubbers Considering either sriver, Yasaka Mark V, roundell or Rozena but I think rozena May be too fast for him at this early stage.

Any suggestions or comments?

I'd say start using slower modern rubbers (with tensor effect). So I would skip the Siver, MarkV, and go for something like palio ak series or smth.. because eventually you will start using tensor rubbers, so why not to start from the early on get used to them from the beginning?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
His coach has said Primorac off- or Petr korbel leaning towards Primorac and rubbers roundell both sides.
This is a coach that he has developed fastest under so I’m inclined to stick with his advice.

And in fairness the 3 blades I was looking at was joola wing medium, Petr Korbel or Primorac Off- as the choices.

Anyone know difference between Primorac and Petr korbel in terms of speed, control, feel etc...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
The Primorac and Korbel are very similar with the Korbel being a notch faster. I believe that both have got the same wood composition.

I believe both are Limba Limba ayous Limba Limba. Korbel is slightly thicker blade I think hence slightly faster.

Also roundell will suit him for now and will be a upgrade from sriver.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I know this thread is old but I’m the one that created it and it’s a follow up to the original. So for my lad I got him Primorac with roundell both sides. He has improved massive amounts and done far better in local league than expected being in the top 5 of averages in his division. My question is what would be a upgrade to the rubbers potentially next. Looking more so in terms of spin not necessarily speed. We have a table so during this week I did put on tenergy 05fx on one side for him to try for couple of training session and it was too fast for him. He generated spin really well but he does like hitting the ball hard at times and t05fx was too quick.
I am Mayb considering rozena for him next, or one of the Xiom Vega rubbers like Europe. Or the joola Rhyzer 43.
Basically looking for a upgrade to roundell more in terms of spin but with still good spin.

Any suggestions? Obviously will run it by his coach first anyway.

Cheers in advance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Just wanted to say, I started with Sriver. In 1972. I also restarted with Sriver in 2019. I am finding that this is not the right rubber for modern game play with the new balls (for me). So I am now using Yasaka Rakza 7 which is a very good rubber for controlled play (I use 2mm). I found that a more soft top level wood (limba) is better than the 5-ply harder woods (e.g. Walnut on Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive). So now I am using a $20 Sanwey Fextra 7-ply blade which several of my club love. So the good news is, for less than $100 you can get a very good setup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Just wanted to say, I started with Sriver. In 1972. I also restarted with Sriver in 2019. I am finding that this is not the right rubber for modern game play with the new balls (for me). So I am now using Yasaka Rakza 7 which is a very good rubber for controlled play (I use 2mm). I found that a more soft top level wood (limba) is better than the 5-ply harder woods (e.g. Walnut on Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive). So now I am using a $20 Sanwey Fextra 7-ply blade which several of my club love. So the good news is, for less than $100 you can get a very good setup.

Rakza 7 is spinny indeed but I think will be too quick for him. I think it will be maybe a big step up from roundell than needed.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: someone asked the difference between Korbel and Primorac Off- and some of it was answered. Same ply construction, but Korbel is thicker. But some was not: Korbel has a larger head size. Which makes Korbel not as good a choice for a kid at 12-13 years old because the larger head size makes it so the extra rubber adds enough more weight to the head to make it heavy and head heavy. By 14-15 that would not matter and that would be a good blade upgrade when the time comes. :)