This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
H2H stats vs CIC show Miyu Kato lost once in 2016 (Kuwait), won in 2018 (Swedish) , won at this year's WTTC, and now won at this German Open so I wouldn't consider it an upset.

Haven't checked those. I mean if I was to bet on their match I would go for Cheng probably because I known her for much longer time and she always has been a top player (she's #10 now). Kato caught my ear/eye basically about a year ago when she beat Hayata in the Japanese tournament for the Budapest qualification ...

The discussion is a little academic ; ) and I understand an "upset" rather intuitively. It functions better in "big" tennis, where the rankings are far more accurate and there's no "unlimited" source of players not ranked, but able to challenge even top ten players (CNT and Asian new players in general).

So for me in "big" tennis an upset is when a player from top 10 looses to someone with much lover ranking, say 30-40 ... so Kato's 25 almost applies here ... but of course h2h results would rather show that it's not that big of an upset, if at all ...

But it's academic ... I'll go the either way ... ; )

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Today seems like a day with many promising matches. Just a couple of thoughts.

Mixed Doubles
- Strong contenders Jeon/Lee and Lin/Cheng will go head to head although the former seems to be in better form considering the latter has lost both their Singles. Or would the losses be a motivating factor.
- How far can the new Chinese pairs go? Personally, I'm hoping that Mizuto takes down XuSha to prove that Doubles is really about teamwork and requires a slightly different set of skills rather than individual capabilities.
- Wong/Doo and Hariyata are pretty similar IMO insofar as the ladies carry the team more than the men.

Men's Doubles
- Boll/Franziska has taken down the reigning World Champions (ML/WCQ) earlier this year so I think they are the favourites, particularly since FZD is pretty average in Doubles
- Ionescu/Robles are the WTTC bronze medallists but with XX as their opponent, this could go either way (LJK doesn't really excel at Doubles too but does pack a punch with his power shots so...)
- I wanted to say that the Battle of the Taiwanese might impact the Olympics selection but just remembered that CCY has left the national association

Women's Singles
- Chen Meng vs Feng Tianwei; former is the favourite for sure but I'm interested in how far Wu Jingping's coaching can stretch the latter
- Qian Tianyi vs Ito Mima; my bet is on the Japanese since young players (WMY, SYS) have shown that they lack a certain degree of adaptability to Ito's variations

Men's Singles
- Yan An pretty much belongs to the forgotten 'mid-gen' (alongside Fang Bo and Zhou Yu) so would be interesting to see how far he goes against Hugo
- Jeoung's explosiveness has been on point this tournament and is surely the favourite over Koki?
- With home support, Franziska seems like he can oust LGY
- WCQ vs FZD; a watershed moment which might affect who should actually be groomed to take over the helm?

Great "appetizer", before the R16.
Vorobeva is an interesting new name in this stage ...

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Mizutani's new glasses seem to help but it appears he still can't see the ball at certain heights and depths.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
interesting: boll and franziska simultaneously claimed an edgeball at 8-8 first set and fzd didnt give it to them. with the **** steam quality i couldnt see it clearly, but knowing bolls reputation (gave opponents points to finally lose the game) to ball was on the edge

Jan 2018
My idol lost the next 4 after 9:7 in G3.

Will never disappoint.

9:3, 9:6, TO for my idol. 10:7, 10:10, 11:10, 11:11, 11:12, 12:12, 12:14

Time to retire, Ishikawa.

G5, 6:6, 6:8, 9:8, 9:9, 10:9, 10:10, 11:10, 11:11, 11:12, 12:12, 12:13, 13:13, 13:14, 13:15

FU2aYaB.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Whats going on with CHEN Meng ? Did she it too much sauerkraut ? I think the plumber is gonna be needed soon in the Women's changing rooms in Bremen...

Wu Jingping's counter advice to CM:

If you want to remain unbeaten against Ito, lose to Feng Tianwei.

Nk77GNl.jpg