Learning Invincible Backhand Serve

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Love the sales job, eh? Cannot fault him for trying. Well, it would be invincible at the lower levels if the vid is aimed at that level.

About as invincible as the newbs in this vid (depicted - the ladies are actually elite tt athletes in real world)

Pro-Tip... you gotta get their SOCKS to get their level of performance.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Jokes aside, the original vid in the thread shows how to impact, where to impact and how vary the first bounce and resultant bounces for the BH serves.

That is a valuable skill to have on BH serves, essential. You cannot control placement, spin, depth, break, height, and pace without those skills.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Wow, It will be difficult for the opponent to find the difference between backspin and side-underspin. Nice vid, keep it up ^^

PS: I like your haircut, bro :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I only got halfway through the video. It's an invincible serve for sure as the receiver wins the point every time.

Huhm, i think he want to show us how much spin on his serve, right?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
yogi_bear said:
His toss is illegal

The Goon Squad agrees.

The base BH serve (especially his underspin one) is started with a motion that brings the hand all the way up to the face, then releases the ball right there... ball does not rise 15 cm or even ONE cm vertical from the hand... but it DOES travel 10-15 cm BACKWARDS after leaving the hand... and OOOHHH... his now free hand travels downward with the ball all the way to impact and nearly hides the ball the entire time... never removes hand from the area between the ball and the receiver... nor even attempts to remove the hand from this space.

Yup. His toss makes that BH serve an illegal serve if the umpire has even a minimum of training and attention to detail.

But what the heck, who plays matches with real umpires or trained ones or motivated/attentive ones? That stuff is for loser amateurs. [/END SARCASM]

Capture.JPG

I never thought I could learn so much how to do an illegal serve on BH from just one vid. So many of us have been clamoring for more BH serves to level the playing field with hidden FH serves... guess we all gotta drink a large cup of STFU on that one and think again...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it was a nice video. Big difference in commenting that stuff is no good an actually think how to explain stuff in a video and to be able to Do it an easy way.

I think he could have added that you can have the rigth leg in front and rotate, take speed from the body to get more spin or atleast try to brush the ball faster.

I also would add that it is proably a good Idea to Do motions after that is the opposite of the actual spin.

The Goon Squad agrees.

The base BH serve (especially his underspin one) is started with a motion that brings the hand all the way up to the face, then releases the ball right there... ball does not rise 15 cm or even ONE cm vertical from the hand... but it DOES travel 10-15 cm BACKWARDS after leaving the hand... and OOOHHH... his now free hand travels downward with the ball all the way to impact and nearly hides the ball the entire time... never removes hand from the area between the ball and the receiver... nor even attempts to remove the hand from this space.

Yup. His toss makes that BH serve an illegal serve if the umpire has even a minimum of training and attention to detail.

But what the heck, who plays matches with real umpires or trained ones or motivated/attentive ones? That stuff is for loser amateurs. [/END SARCASM]

View attachment 19894

I never thought I could learn so much how to do an illegal serve on BH from just one vid. So many of us have been clamoring for more BH serves to level the playing field with hidden FH serves... guess we all gotta drink a large cup of STFU on that one and think again...

And how about viewers who just follow everything they see not knowing they are illegal? Hell, i even knew 1 coach who thought that waldner's serves in the 90's are still legal now!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yogi... it is the Zombie Sheep effort... it is real. Throughout time, peoples have found it takes too much emotional and mental effort to learn and discern things for themselves. Truly, these days, where there is 100x more data available, peoples take the easy way out.

eg. Allowing google to tell them where to go, how to go, what it is and what it isn't without performing the critical thinking themselves.

It is the work of evil goonies out of our reach.
8f4899416aa81c6a054754e7ab754cb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

says Aging is a killer
Huhm, i think he want to show us how much spin on his serve, right?

It doesn't matter the spin being demonstrated or cleverness of the editing, the serves are illegal, thus opponent wins the point every time. That's the point of my comment.

Serve.JPG

This is the side-on view of the bh serve. I think everyone here can see the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Wow, It will be difficult for the opponent to find the difference between backspin and side-underspin. Nice vid, keep it up ^^

Yups, I like this serve and use it quite often. It's easy to learn even for novice player and execute with different spin variations. And lot of players get tricked.
One way to do it is to serve it straight, low and short (minimum 2 bounces on the table) for it to land just after the net and vary spin between underspin and backspin. When doing the backspin it is important to change the angle from sharp backspin angle to perpendicular to the table angle at the last moment so the opponent has a very hard time reading which spin is coming correctly. So backspin is usually the one that get's the opponent tricked into pushing back and popping the ball high into the air for a kill smash. If you get a good spin the ball pops left and high outside the table so there is no need for a third ball attack. Also a lot of players have a harder time doing FH flick (compared to BH flick) for a very short close to the net ball so choose to push the backspin and that's what you want :)

Last edited: