Pre-match rituals and superstition

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Has anyone got rituals they do before matches?
Few weeks ago I decided to change my white shoe laces with new navy ones and I lost to player I never lost before.
Of course, first thing I did after I came home is swap laces with old white ones.
Do I even have to mention I won all my matches since then? :D
I know legendary players in different sports had some crazy superstitious rituals before and during matches and I believe it would be fun to hear what we mortals are doing during that time.

Reactions: lVegita
This user has no status.
OI! Not here to judge or anything but I personally have a strong disdain for it, primarily due to my islamic background.

For those curious, superstition is regarded as a grave sin in Islam. The idea of attributing supernatural authority or power to something besides GOD according to Islam - especially when these acts resemble worship of other besides Him is considered extremely detestible. We are warned against it, and are instructed not to make light of it (similar to idolitary).

Again, not trying to judge or offend anyone, just sharing.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Of course one could imagine that God does not like shoe laces of a certain color and then look to see if such a belief can be justified in the various holy or revealed writings of a religion -- which could require deep exegesis. Lots of things have gotten started that way.

This user has no status.
Of course one could imagine that God does not like shoe laces of a certain color and then look to see if such a belief can be justified in the various holy or revealed writings of a religion -- which could require deep exegesis. Lots of things have gotten started that way.

The problem arises when those not qualified decide to do the delving. Its why apparently flat earthers and anti-vaxxers are a thing now.

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
You consciously realised that navy shoe laces are really not cool, the lost match was just your body trying to tell you that. Mind plays funny games and individual sports especially are about physical skills but also about the inner battle with focus, relaxation, peace, beast mode etc. I personally can’t play in the office when I’m not wearing suitable outfit and I’m self conscious that my low and mean stance might lead to exposing the builder’s crack if I’m wearing jeans. And In that situation I tend to lose games more easily. When I wear my lucky tracksuit I’m in peace with myself and on a different league.

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
Rituals and superstition do not directly help you of course. But it can make you feel more comfortable and therefore make you play better actually.

Personally, I don't have anything like that. But I know some players that have rituals, like listening to the exact same song before every match, folding the towel in the exact way over and over again, wearing two different coloured socks, wearing a small headband (not against sweat) even with short hair, pulling one sleeve of the t-shirt up to the shoulder while playing... OR just wipe over the table with the hand between every point ;)

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
Apart from superstition, I completely agree with the idea of having a consistent set of actions to get you into the proper mindset. Personally, after having played both actual players and casual players, I can't emphasize enough how far the warm up drills (FH to FH, BH to BH loops, blocks, etc) help me in getting me into the right mindset. Playing against someone who knows nothing about warming up is extremely frustrating and aggrevating to me! Just these warm up sessions and drills are very zen inducing and confidence building in my case.

This user has no status.
Apart from superstition, I completely agree with the idea of having a consistent set of actions to get you into the proper mindset
That part I believe has been scientifically proven (although I have no link to any study on the top of my head).

Andre74 said:
Bricec, to be able to give you the right advices, it would be very useful if you could post a short video of you playing table tennis: your shoe tongue tidying technique, your color coordination skills and how you adjust your shirt.
Ahah, careful with those sort of dares, I might very well comply :D

Reactions: Andre74
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Waldner does this thing with his finger while waiting his opponent to serve.
I'm sure some of us knows what I'm talking about.

This user has no status.
- What types of rituals do you do when playing?
Hugo Calderano: Yes
Watching Calderano is very hard for me: on one hand he is an amazing player and watching his rallies is a delight but on the other hand his rituals make him look like a guy with very serious OCD and I feel for him if that’s the case.