Technical help with rubber

This user has no status.
Hey guys, hope you're having a nice time :)
I recently ordered a HL5 but still have no plan on the rubber, so I thought of coming here and asking some EJ questins :)
So, I have 2 questions, one of them is about tacky rubbers and the other is about a rating. So, here we go:

1-I saw EmRatThich say on YT that if a regular person plays with a Chinese rubber, he/she says that it's hard dead. Is ot really difficult to play with them for someone who's been using regular rubbers such as bluefire? If yes, what to do about it and if not, why do I conclude that out of what he said?

2-I also want a backhand rubber and I went to a Persian website and 2 rubbers actually got my attention since I'm a tenergy hater(just wanna be different otherwise it's pretty good) and the rubbers are:

Q5 speed:9.5 spin:9.4
Omega VII Tour speed:9.4 spin:9.4

The problem is that I don't know how reliable the ratings are. Just to give you a mindset, this is the ratings of dignics 05:
Speed:9.5 spin:9.5
Now I can't afford dignics, but from the two above, has anyone tried them out to tell if they're worth the price or maybe cheaper options for the same quality?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Since I prefer a defensive style of play, I usually choose pads with high rotation, but low speed characteristics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
2. Forget the ratings, especially if they are from different brands. The best way to know which is which is basically to allocate them into categories. Rubbers in the same categories are similar (that is, for the player). Generally you want to look at hardness, is it speed or spin oriented type, tacky or not, high or low arc. The rest (in depth stuff) is only relevant after you’ve tried quite a few and fine tuning.

1. If you play an attacking game and want to try Chinese style rubber, you have to stick with it for a while (say a few months) and may still hate it. So there is a big cost.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
Now I can't afford dignics, but from the two above, has anyone tried them out to tell if they're worth the price or maybe cheaper options for the same quality?

Any rubber is worth the price if it fits you and if you are able to utilize it.
All expensive rubbers are of high quality.
But the question is what exactly is your understanding of "quality".
If its consistency of performance, then yes - its a matter of rubber quality.
If you ask about the performance itself - then its a matter of synergy between the player and the rubbers and depends on many factors.
The so exposed question you've asked could not be answered.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The ratings for rubber are marketing lies.
Any true rating would show the normal and tangential coefficient of restitution at different speeds.
TT players are very gullible. They think the next new rubber will solve their problems.
What they can't admit to is that the new rubber isn't much different from the previous ones.
My advice is to find a cheaper rubber you like and stick with it.
As you get better you may want to change to a faster or skinnier rubber.
You don't need fast rubbers until you start playing back from the table. However...
He Zhi Wen has had a long and successful career standing at the table and not giving an inch with relatively cheap rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
So what has helped me was to read the reviews at tabletennis11.com and the comparison at paddlepalace.com. They also have a blog at https://blog.tabletennis11.com/the-top-10-rubbers-of-2019 for the top 10 rubbers but they are not selling Butterfly. One of the top 10 was the Hurricane 3 Neo which is a Chinese tacky rubber (the cost-effective version). I compared that rubber with a Yinhe Pluto short pips on a 7-ply blade with Yasaka Rakza 7 / Rakza PO (short pips) and Nittaku Fastarc G1 / Moristo SP (short pips) also on 7-ply blades. Bottom line was not much difference, I could play with either one. I did not boost the DHS Hurricane 3 Neo so it had pretty good control and was good for top spin - not that much different from the other two. Bottom line is I think you have to be pretty good to feel a difference between similar rubbers (or maybe not so similar, e.g. tacky vs. not tacky for top spin). For some reason I think for short pips a soft sponge is OK but for inverted top spin I prefer a medium hard sponge (e.g. like on the FastArc).
So I think I could be happy with a Yinhe PD-437, DHS Hurricane 3 Neo, Yinhe Pluto which at princett.com is $51 + shipping. I also love the Sanwei Fextra blade which knocks another $6 off the price and makes it $45.

Right now I am playing the Fextra with Nittaku rubbers (Made in Germany).

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The ratings for rubber are marketing lies.
Any true rating would show the normal and tangential coefficient of restitution at different speeds.
TT players are very gullible. They think the next new rubber will solve their problems.
What they can't admit to is that the new rubber isn't much different from the previous ones.
My advice is to find a cheaper rubber you like and stick with it.
As you get better you may want to change to a faster or skinnier rubber.
You don't need fast rubbers until you start playing back from the table. However...
He Zhi Wen has had a long and successful career standing at the table and not giving an inch with relatively cheap rubbers.

AMEN ! to all you just said here, it sums it up real nice. ;)