Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
TableTennisDaily exclusive interview with a TT professional! Simon Gauzy and his French side believe they can catch up to the Asian teams one day.

Thanks for taking part in our TableTennisDaily interview Simon. Congratulations on your recent World Ranking of 77. What an achievement and we are sure here at TableTennisDaily you will have plenty more to come!

Enjoy the questions Simon

Full Name: Simon Gauzy
Date Of Birth: 25 october 1994
Height: 182cm
Club represented: Levallois Sporting Club
Highest World Ranking: 77 this month! :)

gauzy1.jpg

Photo by: cornilleau-rp.com

Equipment Used? Cornilleau

Blade: Aero Off +
FH Rubber: Pilot advance 2mm
BH Rubber: Pilot advance 2mm

Your career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when did you start?

I started Table Tennis when I was 7 so I play TT for 10 years now!

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?

I loved of course Jean-Phillippe Gatien our French idol and Waldner!

You’re a very successful international star now, what do you feel was your biggest achievement to date?

I don't like when people are saying I'm a star because I don't feel like this because I have not won anything yet so...but for sure this season is the best thing I ever did in my career I guess! But I was European cadet champion in 2009 and I also get 4 medals in World Junior Championships.

Ok, maybe you don't like looking back to this but what was your biggest low in your career?

Hmmm I think I never did something wrong when I had to play one big event like European championships or world championships so I can't say anything for this questions ...

Are you looking forward to the 2012 Olympics?

In September I had no chance in being selected or qualifying to go there but now I have improved and I can think about this dream...so yes I look forward to it a little bit...

DaveCochrane - Hi, I would like to know what you want to do when you’re playing days are over, will you stay working in table tennis such as coaching etc.

I don't know yet sorry...:p I take so much pleasure right and focus on my own game but TT is my life so why not, maybe one day I could be a coach...

forestloves - HI, would you rather Win the World Championships, or win a silver in the Olympic Games?

I hate Silver I only like Gold so I would say Worlds Title

Equipment

TerIphik - Hi, I would like to know if the material (rubbers and blades) of professional players is the same to the same material as we (nonprofessional) buy in table tennis shops?

I'm sorry but I'am nearly sure we get better ... !

Do you use booster to enhance your rubber?

Haha even if I used I wouldn't tell you! But sincerely I don't , Frenchs players don't use this!

What do you think of players boosting/tuning their rubbers?

To boost = cheat . This is the only reason I don't do it , I understand players who use it because they aren't satisfied of their rackets but they cheat...

topgunwow - Hi, are you happy about the speed glue ban, has it had an effect on your game?

Yeah I'm not a power player who kills every balls so I don't care about this. I try to play my best with what we have provided to us :)

China’s dominance

What's your view on the Chinese dominance at the moment, why are they so good do you believe?

Good question. They are unbelievable that's right but I think they practice so hard since they are 6 and they don't go to school, they get 150 millions players. But they practice so so hard that's why they are so good .

What is it like playing one of the legends from China?

I have big respect for Chinese legends but when I play against them I try to forget that they are legends as you said :p. But it's a big honor to play against them.

Do you think the Chinese players have equipment superior to that of your own?

For sure their Hurricane rubbers are better.But rubbers don't build the players they are...

Last week you played Zhang Jike at the Slovenian Open 2012 where you played exceptionally well taking 2 sets of Zhang Jike. What was your mentality before the match, how did you compete and almost defeat Zhang Jike?

Similar to what I said before, I Know he is World champion, I know he is with Ma long the 2 best players right now in the world, but before a match , I always think I have a chance to beat the guy I play against, even if it's Zhang Jike. I know I have to play my best to compete with him and that's what I did.

You can watch Simon Gauzy vs Zhang Jike below

France set up

Over the last few years France have really put themselves on the map amoungst as one of the best teams in the World. What are you doing in your training that makes you and the team so good?

I will not tell all our secrets ...:p . No seriously we have all one dream: beat Chinese one day so we are all practicing all day long to catch this goal. We practice very hard, just like Chinese can do.

simonfranceteam.jpg

Photo by: clemsog.com​

What have the France set up changed to be so successful?

We get very good hall, we can have what we need in our center in Paris, and we have very good coaches I think and this is one of the most important things to explain our success.

When you first joined the French National team, were you given specific goals to acheive certain levels throughout your career?

I gave to myself one goal : to do my best each day of practice to catch my dream ...

What are the aims of the French National Team?

France wants to be one of the 3 best teams in the world soon and then maybe beat the terrible Asians ! :) me and the others young frenchs players believe we can do it and that's important .

You and Quentin Robinot seem to be very good friends on the table. Do you both help each other in practice. Do you feel you two have helped one another improve? Or do you both have some rivalary hehe

Yes of course we are very very good friends since 2-3 years now. And yes of course we help each other to improve as fast as possible everyday but not only him and me, we try to help each others between all the French team. Of course there is rivalary between him and me but thats what helps us both to improve. This is important.

gauzysimon.jpg

Training

BollForte94 from TableTennisDaily wants to know what you practice the most. Do you have a certain training regime each week or does it alter?

I try to stay closer to the table everyday this is one of my goals. And I don't have special regime for every week, I alter every time I go to practice.

Do you serve practice often?

Service is very important in our sport so yes I do it very often.

Do you run every day?

I hate running !!! but I have to do it because my physical coach obliges me to ... But not everyday otherwise I would die :)

Leankints wants to know do you train on the mental aspects of the game. Do you find this side of the game is just as important as the technical parts?

Mental aspect is one of quality , and this is very important I think. Maybe not as much as technical parts but very very important.

Legislate – If you don’t have much coaching, do you motivate yourself? Can you still be a good player without a coach?

I think that without a coach I can be a good player because I can motivate myself easily. But to become a very good player I mean in the top 10, I definitely need a coach.

Do you watch yourself on youtube?

Haha! I can't see one match when I loose but when I win, I look forward my best points on YouTube yes

Do you watch your opponents on youtube to find out how they play and tactics you can use?

I almost know all the players in the world but when I want to see my opponent on a video, I ask to my coaches , not on YouTube

What does it feel like when you know thousands of people watch you on youtube on a dailyy basis?

I really don't care about that... But I know that when there is more and more views on my video, it means that I start to be popular in the table tennis World...

Matches/ Tournaments

Joelstar – What warm ups do you do before a game to get you ready to compete?

I have a special physical warm up that I do before each match. But to be ready to compete I play around 1h if the matches is in the morning to be hot before the game and if the game is during the day I don't need to play so much, 20-25 minutes is enough for me.

Atomichaos – Do you ever give up a match when you’re losing?

Oh never !!! Until the guy doesn't get 11 points And 4 games, I still believe in my chances! I won many matches when I was down from 2 - 3 games to 0 and 4-5 points down...This is one of my quality: I Never Give Up !

Gauravvrak – What’s your mind strategy when you are 2-0 down? What do you think to have the belief to get back into the match?

Well, first thing, I always think that I can come back and win that game even if I'm 2-0 down! And then I try to play point after point, try to relax a little bit, then set after set and then maybe I have a chance to win that game! This is what I tell to myself when I am in that position.

The receive you did against Kim Min Seok at match point. What is this push? Did you adopt this yourself, if seems to be very effective. Shot found here Simon:

Hahaha! When I was young I was watching one guy who is now my own coach Patrick Chila and he was doing it! I tried to do it at practice and it was really hard for my opponents to put this receive back on the table. So now I'm still working on it to make that receive better and better.

We notice you have a lot of passion when you play which is great. Especially when you play against the best players. Is this one of the traits that makes you compete with the World’s best?

Yeah I really love the sport and I like making beautiful points you know...:p but maybe it is one important trait and also to have love for the game.

Off the topic questions

What famous people have you met through table tennis?

Jo-Willfried Tsonga is the most famous I think !

Who would you like to meet?

Roger Federer is my biggest wish ! I love him

Who are your favourite sportsmen of all time?

One more time I would say Roger Federer

Favourite film?

Never Back Down is a very good movie but I would say a French one: La Verite si me mens!

What car do you drive?

I'm still not allowed to drive a car because in France we have to be 18 to be allowed! But when I will be older and when I have money I would like to get a Mercedes or a Porshe! :)

What’s your favourite music?

I like electro music but I can listen almost everything . Avicii is surely the DJ with David Guetta I love the most

What do you do in your spare time other then table tennis?

I love playing tennis also because I did a lot when I was young. But I love spending time with my table tennis friends into Paris, we go to shopping, cinema and also spending time on Internet. But I'm like a girl , I like shopping

PS3 or XBOX 360?

I don't like video games but I would say PS3!

Do you go out partying with your friends or team mates?

Yeah when we don't have any tournament we go sometimes but not often . We need to relax a little bit sometimes

Your team mates

Whos the funniest player in the training hall?

Directly Thomas Le Breton !! He is incredible. Salifou Abdel-Kader is very funny too.

Who’s trains the hardest in the training hall?

Adrien Mattenet practice more than everybody but everybody in the hall practice very hard.

gauzyyouth.jpg

Photo by: clemsog.com​

Who’s the funniest team player?

My coach Patrick Chila and Emmanuel Lebesson ! Together they are unstoppable

Who has the best nickname?

Quentin Robinot is "Le zief" I'm "Zigaille" Romain Lorentz is "Molle" (=soft). We all have strange nicknames but maybe the Lorentz's one is the best

Who do you find the hardest player to beat in the training hall?

Humm I never beat Damien Eloi in my life! But Adrien Mattenet is the best player so I would say him.

Do you use tabletennisdaily.co.uk? Would be great to have you on board every now and then... and will you tell your friends about us?

Sorry I never used it as I didn't know it existed! Maybe now I will ...

And Lastly

And lastly, thanks very much for your kindness in taking part in this interview for all the members of the TableTennisDaily forum to learn and know more about the life of a professional player.

What is your ultimate ambition in table tennis?

I dream since I'm 7 to be one day Olympic Champion ... I know it will be hard but I believe in it.

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspirational message to us all?

Enjoy TT, enjoy your life, take pleasure in what you do. If you want to become a professional TT player, try to practice as hard as you can but to take pleasure is the most important at the beginning. I would like to thank everybody who is supporting me everyday and if you want to follow my life, I'm on Twitter at SimonGauzy is my nickname! I hope you enjoyed the itv and see you soon ! Bye bye :)

Follow Simon Gauzy on twitter here

Good luck in your next competition Simon!

Thanks!

TableTennisDaily Staff and forum

What do you think of this spectacular player ad interview? Leave your comments below :)

Reactions: Suga D

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Great interview Dan, and Simon sounds like a nice guy with the right attitude and mindset for greatness, I wish him all the best for the coming Olympics.

Whoua what an interview Dan! (I didn't expect that ;)) Thank you very much and nice work of course!

Thanks guys! What an awesome person Simon is! Such a great attitude to the sport :)