Sponge thickness.and hardness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Yes I know this probably comes up fairly regularly but I've searched and can't find what I'm looking for so I'll apologise in advance but ask you all anyway!

I'm sure there are many variables depending on different makes and top sheets etc but can someone please tell me the basic rule of thumb with regard to the following.

Is a thick, soft sponge likely to have a more springy effect on passive shots and serve returns than say a medium or hard sponge.
I understand the harder sponges are obviously faster when hitting hard but I have been using soft sponges to gain what I believe is a better control but I often find them a bit too lively when wanting to play a much softer touch.

Is a harder sponge going to eliminate this.

Thank you.

This user has no status.
There are numerous write-ups online about this. Here's one: http://www.megaspin.net/store/extra/rubber-guide.asp

In the limit, as rubber gets harder and harder, it should eventually act like a hard bat. No "bounciness" at all. For a given value of hardness, however, the different rubber designs can vary significantly, though. This may be more important than small changes in rubber hardness.

So, not a simple question to answer. I'm sure others will have more information on this.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
KNOWLEDGE WILL EARN MONEY FOR YOU, and BULCK KNOWLEDGE WILL EARN MONEY A LOT.

Ma Long, China's iconic man, known to use 37* SHORE A., DHS sponge = (micropores)
And BUTTERFLY Spring Sponge 36* SHORE A. =(mid-size pores).

SCIENCE OF Chemistry is truly a Lord of Rings, indeed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Harder sponges are not necessarily faster. I have a Chinese Anti that has a hard sponge and it is not fast at all.
What is important is the elasticity or coefficient of restitution.
A thinner sponge will not necessarily be slower for the same reason.
I can make a pile of HRS sponges and try to bounce a TT ball off it. It won't bounce as high as bouncing off a good quality sponge like what is on a Rasanter or Rakza.
I bought a bunch of HRS sponges to prove it to myself. Sponges absorb energy, they do not create it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Hard sponges have a higher limit of bottoming out and are faster when you reach a certain point of applied force on the racket. There are differences in the transfer of energy from sponge to the ball and the effeciency of transferring it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Some very good answers.

But for Bones: Yes, "all else being equal", a harder sponge will be less lively on passive shot and service returns.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hard sponges have a higher limit of bottoming out and are faster when you reach a certain point of applied force on the racket. There are differences in the transfer of energy from sponge to the ball and the effeciency of transferring it.
It is true that harder sponges are less likely to "bottom out" given the same thickness. However, when a rubber does bottom out the wood has a higher coefficient of restitution than the rubber. The ball will bounce our faster normal to the paddle. This affects the "throw angle" and makes the trajectory too flat. This supports the first sentence. You don't make clear your second sentence.

It is best if the rubber never "bottoms out" because that changes the characteristics of the paddle dramatically.
This applies to normal inverted players and normal SP players. LP players often play with 0X rubber that 'bottoms out" all the time.

My comment was about people generalizing based on hard and soft or thick and thin. It is the elasticity or coefficient of restitution that matter most until the rubber "bottoms out".

BTW, you can brush loop with very thin rubber but the timing needs to be so precise that it isn't practical.

It is true that harder sponges are less likely to "bottom out" given the same thickness. However, when a rubber does bottom out the wood has a higher coefficient of restitution than the rubber. The ball will bounce our faster normal to the paddle. This affects the "throw angle" and makes the trajectory too flat. This supports the first sentence. You don't make clear your second sentence.

It is best if the rubber never "bottoms out" because that changes the characteristics of the paddle dramatically.
This applies to normal inverted players and normal SP players. LP players often play with 0X rubber that 'bottoms out" all the time.

My comment was about people generalizing based on hard and soft or thick and thin. It is the elasticity or coefficient of restitution that matter most until the rubber "bottoms out".

BTW, you can brush loop with very thin rubber but the timing needs to be so precise that it isn't practical.

My 2nd sentence is clear enough. Sponges have different properties. A sponge is limited by its ability to transfer energy from the moment you hit ball. Hard sponge rubber can give more speed and force compared to s9fter rubbers because you can compress the sponge more and will not be give you more powerful strikes. Softer sponges will bottom out on stronger shots that is why it is limited and less stronger on stronger shots.

Even a beginner can brush loop with a 1.5mm rubber. Nothing special about it. I have taught beginner to brush loop the ball. You only need a late timing and proper contact.