Yasaka Mark V - what thickness for beginner?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Which thickness would you suggest for a beginner using Mark V? It will be paired with an old Donic Dicon blade which is OFF-. I am wondering if 1.8mm would be too thin? All-around/attacking playing style.

Thanks in advance.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
And here’s me reminiscing about my first serious setup, a handed-down Stiga Kjell Johansson Offensive Wood with Mark V 2.0 on both sides (both red, of course).

My coach severely frowned upon me for taking that crazy fast setup to the training. Not that I could afford anything else… so I stuck with that for a long time. And must admit my consistency was poor at first.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
If you're truly a beginner maybe mark V 2mm is too fast ? I began with stiga all around classic with mark V 1.8mm (maybe 2mm) and it was a bit too fast and i change for tibhar vari spin

Mark V 2mm with an off- blade seems to be a lot in my opinion

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
just buy some Reactor CKylin, for me the best rubbers for begginers, insted of paying for markV and sriver,s and all those old rubbers that are still expensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
And here’s me reminiscing about my first serious setup, a handed-down Stiga Kjell Johansson Offensive Wood with Mark V 2.0 on both sides (both red, of course).

My coach severely frowned upon me for taking that crazy fast setup to the training. Not that I could afford anything else… so I stuck with that for a long time. And must admit my consistency was poor at first.

Give it a try with a 38mm ball and it's still crazy fast even without speed glue. My sister plays recreationally in her basement with her husband and they have a hundreds of old 38mm balls and whenever I visit them I have a go and I'm always shellshocked by the speed. They buy Mark V pre mades every 1-2 years and they're great fun to play with.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Mark v at max thickness nowadays is not that fast anymore especially in an all+ blade.
It isn't but beginners do not need fast rubbers until they start playing back from the table. The ball slows down about 50% for every 5 meters of travel but it slows down most quickly just after striking the ball. A player, like Dan, who plays back 2 meters from the table needs a faster rubber because the ball slows down so much before it even gets over the table. The air resistance is proportional to the speed squared.

Reactions: yoass
It isn't but beginners do not need fast rubbers until they start playing back from the table. The ball slows down about 50% for every 5 meters of travel but it slows down most quickly just after striking the ball. A player, like Dan, who plays back 2 meters from the table needs a faster rubber because the ball slows down so much before it even gets over the table. The air resistance is proportional to the speed squared.

Beginners do not need to step away from the table. They would be too busy developing strokes and footwork. I am just saying that even at max thickness, beginners can use Mark V.