Soft or hard rubber for better blocking ?

Hello, TTD :)
So I've purchased Nittaku Ludeack 7 ply wooden blade as an upgrade from Nittaku Acoustic (same wooden composition, but 5 ply) and find it amazing in doing loops, controlling the game is just outstanding, etc.

But one aspect I don't like at all: blocking. It's more stable when I play against an experienced player with it's speed and consistency, but against less experienced / less stable topspins I find it difficult to have a stable block.

The rubbers I use are Nittaku FastArc G1 2.0(max) on both sides.

For example, with Rakza 7 on an ALC Blade I find it much easier to have a stable block, which even helps a lot in the competitive game (but I don't have a confidence to play full swing top spins and a little less control in general, so I stick to Nittaku Ludeack for now).

The question: is it a problem for all softer wooden blades or I can adjust the blocks on my backhand (cause this is what I use for training blocks and in game more often, than forehand of course) using different type of rubber - softer or harder? May be use modern tensor rubber like Tenergy/Rasanter/whatever faster rubber or is it a 'feeling' thing and I just need to get used to it?

I really love this blade and may be I can improve the backhand block somehow. Here's a short vid why I love this blade so much for looping, as well as Acoustic :)

Reactions: Ivan10edgardo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
if the person is lesser skilled or playing slower, try using more active strokes or mini drive type hits

good blocking blades are usually fast, unless you are a pure control blocker

but being fast, makes them harder for the other shots you describe

for rubbers, i think fast thick and soft are best for power blocks -- hard rubbers will slow the ball down

tenergy fx for example

Last edited:
Reactions: mihalichtheone
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Heyyy, I'm no expert by any means, and doesn't really know much about equipment too!

But I can share you my little story

Sure, blocking against newer opponent where the ball's quality is one thing sure is hard(er)

Because you know what? Why you feel easy blocking good ball? They have correct and consistent speed and spin. Your block is based in them. Their power gives you power. You only using their power to return the ball.

When blocking slower ball, you won't get sufficient power you need to bounce the ball back by its own. You need to provide some, in other word, (also mentioned by previous comment hehe) be more active. Add more push to make sure the ball reaches its destination!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mihalichtheone
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
From your description it is not equipment. It is timing. It will get better as you learn to track the ball better..

Reactions: lasta