Choosing equipments based on my style

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I slapped an excess sheet of Jupiter II on the FH of a blade of a dude who is taking lessons, it is not a wild crazy OFF rubber, more oriented towards control for drives, just what a drive happy Korean learning dude has for center of mass. He can spend money on equipment later when he levels up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I slapped an excess sheet of Jupiter II on the FH of a blade of a dude who is taking lessons, it is not a wild crazy OFF rubber, more oriented towards control for drives, just what a drive happy Korean learning dude has for center of mass. He can spend money on equipment later when he levels up.
If I use Jupiter II on my FH with Xiom Offensive S blade, how should I play?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
If I use Jupiter II on my FH with Xiom Offensive S blade, how should I play?

I’d say a first-position spin- and counterattack game, focused on consistency and placement rather than raw speed and spin pressure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I’d say a first-position spin- and counterattack game, focused on consistency and placement rather than raw speed and spin pressure.
I'm sorry, but what exactly "first-position spin" is?

By "counterattack", you mean when opponent is trying to give me topspin loop rallies, I give 'em back the topspin loop right?

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I'm sorry, but what exactly "first-position spin" is?

By "counterattack", you mean when opponent is trying to give me topspin loop rallies, I give 'em back the topspin loop right?

First position is close to the table. And cointering can be a counter topspin, a flatter drive, or even an active pinch block.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
As far as I understand the difference is in the distance of play, the power and the intention behind the stroke.

Not really. Chinese and European players these days play at about the same distance and have pretty much the same intention on their shots. Spin is spin, power is power. Chinese tend to use hard tacky rubbers that are boosted but less springy, as opposed to Europeans who generally play with grippy softer rubbers. Starting from a young age, these differences will alter technique some, but what players are trying to accomplish is similar. Chinese players are great because (1) selected from a larger pool, (2) constant access to coaching and the highest possible level of practice partners, and (3) very high-level coaching based on analytics. There is nothing like it anywhere else in the world. Note also that Chinese women also use tacky DHS rubbers on their forehand but play quite differently from Chinese or European men, from much closer in, and yet they still dominate as much as Chinese men (or more).

If someone has not been playing for too long it might be worth a try to play with tacky Chinese rubber on the forehand. But it you have been playing with European or most Japanese rubbers for very long, it is going to feel really strange.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The thing is that when you are a good and experienced player and you hang around experienced players, especially some who have played or coached at the national level, you see how silly a lot of stuff people waste time on is.

If you have money change equipment however you choose and as much as you like. If you don't, just play with what you have. Training matters far more than what you use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Not really. Chinese and European players these days play at about the same distance and have pretty much the same intention on their shots. Spin is spin, power is power. Chinese tend to use hard tacky rubbers that are boosted but less springy, as opposed to Europeans who generally play with grippy softer rubbers. Starting from a young age, these differences will alter technique some, but what players are trying to accomplish is similar. Chinese players are great because (1) selected from a larger pool, (2) constant access to coaching and the highest possible level of practice partners, and (3) very high-level coaching based on analytics. There is nothing like it anywhere else in the world. Note also that Chinese women also use tacky DHS rubbers on their forehand but play quite differently from Chinese or European men, from much closer in, and yet they still dominate as much as Chinese men (or more).

If someone has not been playing for too long it might be worth a try to play with tacky Chinese rubber on the forehand. But it you have been playing with European or most Japanese rubbers for very long, it is going to feel really strange.
I am already using and accustomed (to a "certain" extend hehe) to Chinese rubber from the very first I have racket, so yeah I'm happy, I just need to...play harder (i.e. using real stroke and such)..:D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I am already using and accustomed (to a "certain" extend hehe) to Chinese rubber from the very first I have racket, so yeah I'm happy, I just need to...play harder (i.e. using real stroke and such)..:D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
What??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
My new racket has come
It's xiom offensive s with both 2.2 mm rubbers (jupiter ii and vega euro)

I think the width exceeds the ittf regulation, i suppose?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
How come? Both of them are ITTF approved...

ITTF rules state that the maximum of the sponge and topsheet cannot be greater than 4.00mm.

Thickness of sponge doesn't matter. What matter is total thickness of rubber. So technically you can have thinner sponge and thicker pimples or reverse. I think most of the time manufacturers just glue different sponges to one top sheet and that's why you can choose.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
So my "2.2mm" rubbers (both jupiter II and vega euro) are actually 2.2mm WITH sponge?

So my rubbers doesn't actually exceed 4.0mm ?

Phew thx God [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This user has no status.
My new racket has come
It's xiom offensive s with both 2.2 mm rubbers (jupiter ii and vega euro)

All approved rubbers are 4.0mm total thickness. So 2.2mm sponge plus 1.8mm rubber topsheet = 4.0mm total. (I took a guess on the topsheet thickness).

So, how's the new racket? Have you practiced with it yet?