High spin rubber setup (2) for brush/loop forehand practice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Looking for a couple of practice setups with specific rubbers to improve my brush/loop forehand. Based on my research here in the rubbers forum, here is what i'm considering. Any feedback greatly appreciated!

1. DHS 301 w/Hurricane 3-50 and a Battle II reg or Provincial (both sides will be FH rubber)

2. Sanwei Target National Max and Andro Ransanter R37 -- not sure on paddle.

One consideration could be the heavy weight of these FH rubbers, so if there is a lighter ALC paddle OFF+ paddle for these setups that would be great.

Wondering what other rubbers might be alteratives.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Bryan,

Actually all (4) of these rubbers would be for practicing the loop forehand via drills, blocking, robot, etc. So none of these rubbers would be for the backhand stroke at all, just dedicated practice paddles. I had thought to put spinny rubber on both sides so that I can more easily switch back and forth to see which one would be the easiest to brush/spin--and not buy 4 paddles!

i'll def take a look at Jupiter II, the price is great.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Yogi_bear,
thanks for the recommendation. I have a NIB Sanwei F3 Pro, would that be an acceptable alternative?

Takkyu,
of the rubbers you listed, is there a particular order/preference for spin capability? I would probably not consider T05 at this point as I did play with that back to back w/some H3 and the H3 was much easier to brush for me...most certainly due to my inexperience.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
729b2,

Tibhar Hybrid K2 seems like a nice alternative as well. So far I'm only finding it for sale on Tabletennis11.com, but can't seem to load the page w/US prices.

have you tried different versions of 729 Battle 2? Do you have a preference?

This user has no status.
Oh okay, so you are experimenting with multiple types of tacky rubber.

Yeah, I also recommend trying a hybrid tacky rubber as one of your four rubbers. I've tried JOOLA Golden Tango PS and liked it. But there are so many others too. Yogi_Bear is probably the expert. (Tibhar K2, Stiga Genesis 2, Donic Bluegrip, Golden Tango, etc...).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
BryanY,
How about Donic Barracuda? It also looks like the Hurricane 3 National (blue sponge) is even better than the regular H3 for spinning purposes.

At this point i'm not even focusing on precise placement, just a medium or slightly higher swing speed and trying to get the brush stroke down--verifying by watching ball response when it contacts the table as well as the sound when hitting the ball.

This user has no status.
BryanY,
How about Donic Barracuda? It also looks like the Hurricane 3 National (blue sponge) is even better than the regular H3 for spinning purposes.

At this point i'm not even focusing on precise placement, just a medium or slightly higher swing speed and trying to get the brush stroke down--verifying by watching ball response when it contacts the table as well as the sound when hitting the ball.

Well, Barricuda is not a tacky rubber. If you you are interested in a tensor rubber then there are more modern options that are better than Barricuda.

Also, my understanding is that the benefit of the H3 blue sponge is that it absorbs more booster than the orange sponge. So, if you aren't boosting then there probably isn't any reason to pay extra for the blue sponge.

Yogi_bear,
thanks for the recommendation. I have a NIB Sanwei F3 Pro, would that be an acceptable alternative?

Takkyu,
of the rubbers you listed, is there a particular order/preference for spin capability? I would probably not consider T05 at this point as I did play with that back to back w/some H3 and the H3 was much easier to brush for me...most certainly due to my inexperience.

F3 pro is ok but it is stiffer. I suggested f3 classic becauwe it is softer and slower. It will maximize spinny loops.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Yogi_bear,

Takkyu,

personally i've been playing with SpinArt a long time and I'm used to it, its a hard sponge. Can put a lot more spin, but easier to miscontact. Q5 and Dignics are a bit softer, maybe in that order. All 3 are excellent rubbers. Dignics maybe the easier to control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think you need to try to decide which rubber you want to use. Do Not need to brush the ball as much with tacky rubbers because of the grip. So if you want to learn to brush the ball Maybe rubbers without tackiness would be the best option.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am curious to know, and not afraid to ask, why the OP thinks an OFF+ blade is great to learn the strokes he is desiring?

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old dude pundit (Der-Echte is not that) I would say middle of the road Offensive control oriented stuff for blade and rubber until foundations are set enough... but of course there are other paths, such as settling on the equipment suitable for desired play, the train and adjust.

I just think it would in long run be easier and faster with a progressive approach - starting with control oriented, leveling up, then finalizing equipment/play style.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I am curious to know, and not afraid to ask, why the OP thinks an OFF+ blade is great to learn the strokes he is desiring?

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old dude pundit (Der-Echte is not that) I would say middle of the road Offensive control oriented stuff for blade and rubber until foundations are set enough... but of course there are other paths, such as settling on the equipment suitable for desired play, the train and adjust.

I just think it would in long run be easier and faster with a progressive approach - starting with control oriented, leveling up, then finalizing equipment/play style.

I'm with Der_Echte on this one.

Also OP, how long have you been playing? Do you train one-one-one with a coach? How often?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
729b2,
i'm here in the us, so I'm not sure that i would have access to any special version of the Battle 2 unfortunately.

BryanY,
thanks for the feedback on the barracuda, i'll nix that one as well as the blue sponge options in the H3 lineup if they are more expensive.

RE: Existing Paddles
- I have the following blades from ColesTT: Air Touch01, Galaxy W6 (both 5W) and Galaxy W1 (7W+2C) all in straight handle.
- From Megaspin the Sanwei Pro V5 (7W) w/Sanwei Target National, and the Pro F3 (5+2) (paddle only)
I was going to buy (2) rubbers for the F3 and then get (2) more an inner ALC paddle like the DHS301, since I had read multiple threads here and on TTDaily and OOAK forums that recommended ALC paddle for H3 or other rubbers similar to H3.

Finally,
re: my experience, i played tennis in high school, and racquetball in college. It's been hard shortening my stroke to a more euro style, and I found that i really enjoy the bigger brush stroke forehand/topspin, so i thought I would get a few setups--EJ style--to help me work on that part of my game.