Heat rubber to remove humidity?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I'm slightly curious if there are members in TTD who have any sort of tricks that they do to remove humidity from their rubber.

Melbourne is an annoying place as humidity can vary from day to day. One day the humidity is at the normal range at 40-50% and you can feel ball friction. Another day the humidity would be at 80-90% and the ball would just slip, you would have to loop the ball at a more open angle.

Not sure if it's a placebo effect or what but I can tell the difference easily.

It doesn't help as well that all the rubbers I use are generally super high gripping top sheet that's sensitive to humidity change (Tenergy / Fastarc)

So i thought would it help if I blow some warm air using hair dryer from a distance to remove some of these humidity? Of course I haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to know what you guys think :D

This user has no status.
I'm slightly curious if there are members in TTD who have any sort of tricks that they do to remove humidity from their rubber.

Melbourne is an annoying place as humidity can vary from day to day. One day the humidity is at the normal range at 40-50% and you can feel ball friction. Another day the humidity would be at 80-90% and the ball would just slip, you would have to loop the ball at a more open angle.

Not sure if it's a placebo effect or what but I can tell the difference easily.

It doesn't help as well that all the rubbers I use are generally super high gripping top sheet that's sensitive to humidity change (Tenergy / Fastarc)

So i thought would it help if I blow some warm air using hair dryer from a distance to remove some of these humidity? Of course I haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to know what you guys think :D
no matter what you do,

"dont ever microwave oven your rubber"

Too bad Denis TT Site is no more, so I can't show you the link to this legendarily funny story.

(´ ∀ ` *)

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
If its not tacky, wipe with clean cloth every chance you get.

Tacky rubbers are usually more resistant to humidity, but once they do get affected, harder to deal with.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
About all you can do is HOPE to keep you hand dry and wipe rubbers with hand after every point or practice rally.

At some point, you will sweat like crazy, hand be wetter than a river, then you are really up the creek without a paddle.

You could use more humidity resistant rubbers for summer months, like 999 topsheet on your favored sponge... but at some point, you will be affected with those setups too.

It is a tough thing to cope with... I certainly do not like coping with high humidity, I use less solid impact than most and I pay the price in those conditions.

Reactions: NanaChiTang
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I always thought cooling will make it worse...oh the condensation you get from that.

Take 2 towels, one for your face, one for the rubbers. Never failed me.

Last edited: